• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Saiga Psychogenetics][CSEIA] Tsukuyomi-class Battlecruiser

raz

SAINT Director
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Anyhow, highlights include: faster than normal speed, very long range main guns and torpedoes, light armor and shielding, light damage compared to class-similar weapons.

Tsukuyomi-class Battlecruiser.

I've had this render sitting around for a long time. I originally had it intended for another RP that I was a part of, but after the "statting" phase, I never used it in roleplay at all. I will, immodestly, say that the render is beautiful and that I did not enjoy it being wasted on my hard drive.

I would have asked to make it a KFY design, but the render, while awesome, did not fit what I see Yamataian military style to be. I talked with Jess about the Freespacer and CSEIA involvement with the ship, and she told me it was good to go.

Right now it's using Starlight Cells and Capacitors similar to what the Phantasm Gunship uses. Purely renewable, low cost power. Since the Tsukuyomi itself is quite fragile, it defenses wouldn't last very long in prolonged engagements...so a "proper" reactor that can power combat systems for extended times isn't necessary per se.

While admittedly the capacitor setup could indeed cause potential power shortage issues, the vessel is meant to be as light and agile as physically possible. Not only would a proper reactor add considerable mass, it would also add a considerable heat/aether/exhaust signature; and the last thing any fragile ship wants is to be spotted.

Well, I asked since it is using positron weaponry. And I dunno if Starlight Cells, and Capacitors can handle the load or not, along with the ship systems, shields, armor, and everything else.

The reason I didn't include a power source was because the ship template didn't have a power source category to put a reactor/turbine/etc. in. If it did, I'd imagine the ship has overcharged plasma reactors or some such. The power source is probably one of the most mass-costly things on the ship, actually.

Possible solutions:

1) Batteries. The Phantasm, which also uses the ambient power cells, uses disposable charges or batteries as "ammunition" for their energy weapons. Alternatively, maybe having a built-in battery as part of the railgun's shell to reduce energy consumption, and free up more power for positron turrets.

2) Magnetohydrodynamical generator (MHD generator). The Divine Comedy uses this system to use the waste heat from its laser systems to recycle it back into additional power. This can also be applied on the ship's railgun systems which would also generate lots of heat. This wouldn't "generate" power, but it would at least reduce the energy usage of the ship's weapons -- and boost the efficiency of any other reactors on board if you have them.

3) A fission reactor. While lower output than fusion/plasma, this method has a much lower heat signature (unlike fusion, there isn't a minimum temperature for reactions to occur), and a much smaller minimum size. They can also operate years or even decades without refueling, depending on how fast you burn up fuel.

If you're feeling particularly self-sufficient like a 'Spacer, you can even turn nuclear torpedo warheads into additional reactor fuel to boost energy output. Or inversely, use the reactor to "enrich" its own fuel to produce nuclear torpedo warheads, and depleted uranium for railgun shells. Self-sufficiency in both ammunition and power would allow you to operate very long periods of time without going back for resupply -- one of the most important aspect of commerce raiding.

4) Fusion (plasma?) reactors. These would give you limitless power, given what little energy-consuming equipment you have aboard now. The problem is they can be quite bulky, run "hot" only (therefore may produce a significant heat signature), and needs to dump spent fuel on occasion (which could leave a trail for pursuers, unless a friendly port is nearby).

My 2 cents is that Lorath Plasma Generators are fairly inexpensive and easily bought through a little roleplay on the Public Communications Net.

Updated the write-up with power sourcing technologies. Although your idea was awesome at first, Wes, after consideration, I realized that the designer would not want to interact with UOC-affiliated technology partners.

This Submission is Approved for IC Usage.

I'll see if we can't amend the Starship Creation Template to include a power source section so we can avoid any future confusion.

The Yamataian Stellar Vessel Tsukuyomi with "Operation Rheinübung" style camouflage.

TsukuyomiCamoForum.png

RPG-D RPGfix
Back