• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Character Saishuwaza, Purple

First of all, use this link: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=ch ... aza_purple Your link takes us straight to the Psychological Characteristics section when we should start at the very beginning.

Anyways, my name is Fay, and since I just got back to the site, I'll let a Character Forum Mod that's been around a little while longer to properly review your character. However, I do have a suggestion:

We've had some debate on characters having Japanese/English mixed names before, it seems. I suggest that we skip that drama. ^^;; Basically, "Purple" and "Violet" can be translated to "Pa-puru" in the Japanese dialect. I'd suggest using that instead or thinking up a new surname. If you are having trouble, try using this translation website.

Good luck on your character! Please feel free to ask if you have any questions! :mrgreen:

Also, Japanese names are surname first, given name last.

For example, my name is Samuel Sharp in the US.

It'd be Sharp Samuel in Japan.

Unless another mod jumps in to take a look at your article, I'll probably get to it sometime later tonight.

Fay said:
We've had some debate on characters having Japanese/English mixed names before, it seems. I suggest that we skip that drama. ^^;; Basically, "Purple" and "Violet" can be translated to "Pa-puru" in the Japanese dialect. I'd suggest using that instead or thinking up a new surname. If you are having trouble, try using this translation website

Eh, but certain sprites (which can grow into full blown Nekos) are given names of flowers and fruits in english. Can I have link to said drama?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5539 The next name down the list actually. It may not be terrible drama, but multiple mods have reasonably stated that this shouldn't be done.

My sprite from long ago changed her official name from "Mist" to the Japanese translation of "Kasumi" when she was freed from sprite-hood and took up a Japanese surname.

Welcome to SARP, Jereme.

First, allow me to set straight my esteemed colleagues. :)

"Pa-puru" is japanese engrish for pronouncing the english word "purple" and not the actual translation.

Purple in japanese is "Murasaki"

A superior translation site can be found here.

Ship-generated crewmembers who have Nepleslian (English) names are usually following a theme. On the Sakura, there was Cherry, Blueberry, Sunflower, etc. Those themes are determined by the plotship's GM.

Fay's sprite "evolving" into a free Nekovalkyrja is a good path for players of other Nepleslian-named crewmembers to take, but isn't strictly expected.

For Yamataians and Nepleslians (and the rare Geshrin), there can be rational reasons why a character might have a Nepleslian given name or surname, yet also have a Yamataian (Japanese) name. It's not even been five years since Nepleslia seceded, so the mixing of the two "races" pre-secession reasonably creates circumstances that could lead to the name difference (a traditionally Yamataian family mixing with a traditionally Nepleslian family, for instance).

"Natural" (factory-created) Nekovalkyrja, unless there's a compelling reason otherwise, have Yamataian names. A Nekovalkyrja mother would likely name her youngling something Yamataian (even if it has a Nepleslian root).

Fred's suggestion is best — the name can mean something in Nepleslian, but should still be Yamataian.

I'll allow this last character into the FR plot after its approval. Just send me a PM once she's approved and I'll throw up orders.

And character mods, if people try and make new characters for FR let them know that I'm officially "full". I'm nearing the end of the plot and will probably be finished within a month or so, so adding character's on after this will be useless. Thanks :)

From what I can tell through reading this Bio, It seems that you have assumed the Nekovalkyrja are much more cat-like than they are, at least behavior-wise.

I see nothing wrong with her being named purple and do not know why you guys are making such a fuss about it. Yes, it's different, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

As for problems, the only one I really see, other than the sheer sparseness of the writing, is that the physical description is in past-tense, when it should really be in present tense. This is pretty much the only place on SARP where I will tell you to make that change though.

Overall, it's good. Very simple, nothing groundbreaking, just a Neko that was born from a mother instead of a factory.

I WILL APPROVE THIS PENDING CHANGES TO THE DESCRIPTION.

I see that your skills are all currently placeholders. Which is fine since you're going into Fort Ready. Just be sure to replace them with the proper skills when you graduate to a new plot.

I'll give this till tomorrow. if there's no more complaints, it will be approved.

kai said:
I see nothing wrong with her being named purple and do not know why you guys are making such a fuss about it. Yes, it's different, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
I'm making a big deal about it because there should be consistency across canon for why characters are named what they are.

There should be a compelling reason why she is named Purple beyond the player's preference. If the character was Yamataian, or a Neko who went to a Yamataian body, that would be a compelling reason, for instance.

It's not all willy nilly. It seems to me that its less common for a neko enlisting to be 'born' than to come from a factory. Her mother was transferred right after she was born. Her transition to civilian life on the verge of it when the idea for Purple started. She is an artist and now Yamataian. It wasn't some scientist or lot number that gave her the name.

That's more compelling that just saying i like it.

Anyhow, that's just me defending my case because i can be stubborn. If you want more to hunt up something Japanese, just say it out simply and end the argument. "It conflicts to much with the lore, please decided on something different." :)

well, to make it more compelling, add the stuff about her mother and naming her to the history, so we can understand why she was named 'purple' instead of the japanese word for it.

Alright... i mean it is a part of her history. Just seems adding that bit explains so much of how her mother is, when it's suppose to be about her.

I'm thinking about Saishuu Yume to change it to. Especially if Surnames are used the same way they are in Japan

Yume is a pretty name (and it's not in use by any player character as well).

"Saishuu-Hei" (which is likely how she'll be formally addressed in the RP) has a nice ring to it too.

Jereme said:
Alright... i mean it is a part of her history. Just seems adding that bit explains so much of how her mother is, when it's suppose to be about her.

I'm thinking about Saishuu Yume to change it to. Especially if Surnames are used the same way they are in Japan
For me, either is fine, whether it's changing the name or adding that justification in there about her mother.

Allright. all concerns have been addressed.

Just fill out your userpage now, a sentence or three is all that's really needed.

APPROVED

RPG-D RPGfix
Back