• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Salutes of Star Army RP's Factions

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Back in the old days, the Star Army of Yamatai bowed for everything, but in 2011 they finally came around to saluting for some things (most military-related stuff) where the bow is more of a social/civilian thing. When it's okay to salute and bow is covered in the SAoY wiki article Rendering Courtesy.

fetch.php

The salute is done in the style of the US Military. This is probably because I'm a US Army veteran and this is what I know. Basically the hand is not very tilted and the fingertips are around where the eyebrow and the bottom of the cap meet, like in this photo:

aqph_is_quoracdn_net_main_qimg_104bd79c748e71f382f90393c3110791e4566ec4467ebe5d7e5f47f4deb0b49.jpg

Today I was thinking...I wonder how the other factions of SARP do their salutes. There's actually a bunch of ways to do them.

British army style:
ai.telegraph.co.uk_multimedia_archive_03153_458686694_3153882b.jpg

The "Bellamy" Salute (this was actually standard for US schoolkids until 1942, but Nazis also used it so it was changed to the hand over the heart):
a40.media.tumblr.com_f18172e9a992228a64e003358d335a25_tumblr_nlrk7070Jr1uqeaezo1_1280.png

Maybe you use a fist!
ashoebat.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_11_113608754_676x450.jpg

Maybe just two fingers!
aqph_is_quoracdn_net_main_qimg_b76cea88a6b24de76da9892388afa886283217a2427ccbd05300e946a88ce8d.jpg

Or three?

aqph_is_quoracdn_net_main_qimg_83db5d0231cc971bf413afd2dd33c3d3cde7d3ff252db861eb66b92ac103f3c.jpg

Other hand signs?
acdn.business2community.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_06_Salute_2.jpg

Hand over the heart?
atheprsanccblog.files.wordpress.com_2013_04_hand_over_heart_fotolia_51341163_xs.jpg

So, faction managers, how do your troops salute?

The Hidden Sun Clan uses the following salutes.

Basic
Hand closed brought up to the center of the chest with a slight bow. This salute can be performed with either arm, though the most common is the left arm. But the right arm can be used.

Typically used in the performance of ones duty. Reporting for duty, or acknowledging orders are examples.

Formal
Bringing both arms up with the hands closed to the chest, followed by a head nod or a bow. The degree of difference between the ranks determines which.

Most commonly used during ceremonies. It is also done when the person initiating it wishes to convey their respect for the other.

The Raiken salute by hitting their fist to their chest then offering said fist to their commander. The correct response is for the commander to offer their fist and hit their own chest with it. What this actually means...

Lower Soldier - "I offer you my strength."
Commander - "I accept your strength."

They do bow, but they only bow their heads and that is for respect other than respecting rank.

The PSG use two salutes:

The Fist Pump salute, with their right hand, back of palm facing the recipient. With a fairly flat and laid back command structure in PSG, they usually refer to the party as "Sir!" or "Ma'am!". This is usually done between members of PSG and ISC Phoenix, plus multiple pumps may be done in very informal situations, along with requisite hooting or hollering.

The significance of this stems from the right hand of The Captain, which has The Grapple Stunner on it, from which power comes. Power shall be thrust on those who abuse it. Luca didn't come up with this idea, or the fist pump - some of the men and women did and Luca let it stick.

In more formal situations, when they're out on field and representing themselves to the world, the men and women of PSG use the British salute with the thumb tucked in. Much more refined and dignified, and was chosen by Luca for that reason.

Meanwhile, on the ISC Phoenix itself, they rarely salute, but they do acknowledge each other by name.

I mean we probably just use a baseline US military salute - but it's more just a quick acknowledgement between superior and inferior, and between equal officers to varying degrees of friendliness/hostility.

I made this up for the Kuvexians today:

The Kuvexian military salute is holding your left hand flat (with palm facing to your right) with your thumb out slightly towards the face, so the hand is in front of the face with an eye on either side. Then the hand is rotated downwards at the wrist so the fingers point outwards towards the object of the greeting. It's almost like a “knife hands” gesture but very close to the face of the person giving the gesture. Sometimes this is accompanied by a greeting like “I notice you there.” The gesture is showing that the person's attention is focused on a specific individual.

Mousian Male bows to those in Civilian position of power. Left leg forward and bending at the waist. Deeper the bow is on how high the Mousian is placed in the hierarchy of leadership. Everyone bows/curtsies to the family or household elder (the oldest Mousian).

" Female curtsies when wearing a skirt or gown. Bows when wearing pants like their male counterparts.

Tail is wrapped around the waist and tip tucked so the tail doesn't unravel to show peaceful intent as majority of the Mousian can use their tail to some extent beyond just keeping balance.

Military uses more of a British style of salute for both genders with tail wrapped around waist with tip tucked in when reporting to a superior officer or Senior NCO. On parade the tail sticks up vertically inline with the spine (as in marching for ceremonies) The company flag bearer will have a triangle pennant attached to the tail, several inches from the tip of the tail.

When armed with a weapon. The rifle will be held vertically with the trigger facing the superior officer. Left hand on the upper butt stock and right hand on the lower part of the barrel. Nose is even with the forward sight on the barrel. This is used when out on maneuvers in the field or in hostile situations where quick reaction is required. The tail is loose, not confined or restricted in anyway.

While on Armed Guard Duty, the weapon will be held at port arms in rendering a salute, unless special orders are given before shift of duty. Tail will be unrestrained and vertical.

*Note: not a faction, just a little familiarization of Mousian Customs and Curtsies. A player created species I use in Scifi RP.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back