• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Submission [SAoY] Giretsu Century

demibear

Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
Character Forum Mod
🎨 Media Gallery
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wip:giretsu_century
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
First time caller, this is likely going to be rough. I noticed there was a lack of information about this after a mention in the School of Advanced Infantry Combat article. So figured I would take a stab at it. Time of formation I am leaving vague for now since they could be slowly established over the two years since the school started.

I would like to possibly write something more in detail about Giretsu Infantry and Rangers, but got to get over this hurdle first. I copied largely from the existing Star Army Century article, so hopefully the formatting is not too terrible.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The Giretsu were originally my idea, so I suppose that I should say my peace here.

We don't need two groups that do exactly the same thing, and what you have now, the Giretsu do the same thing as the Rangers. They were originally intended to be more of an elite drop trooper/paratrooper force inspired by Russian VDV and US Airborne forces, not sneaky silent special forces. They were also inspired by the Imperial Japanese Navy's Special Naval Landing Forces.

Last edited:
But the Star Army Reconnaissance page (corps) and Ranger page (occupation) are not an individual unit-size element like this is.

You have a point. It just feels to me like a waste to have a school focused on armor on armor combat and then waste graduates of it on subterfuge.

Ah, I learn something new everyday. :) I thought the IJN had their own marine force. I get what you are saying, I can come up with "jump school" that regular Rikugun can go through. That would be a fun bit of research to do.

I see Giretsu more as an in-between the normal cannon fodder and SAINT that is trained in subterfuge. If the Special Forces aspect of SAINT was moved into its own command, Giretsu would be at the very bottom of the stack. At their heart, they are just an elite Power Armor force that just can function at fire team levels and are fairly self-sufficient. A poor man's SOFT.

The recon platoon is there since I would think they would want some Star Army Rangers there that can understand them.

[ Y ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ Y ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ Y ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ Y ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ Y ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ Y ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ Y ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ Y ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ Y ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ Y ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

The submission is APPROVED.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back