• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Senate: Passed Senate Proposal #113 - Amendments

Ethereal

Banned Member
RP Date
5月 YE 43
RP Location
Senate Dome
Taii Seinosuke Iemochi, Senator for Virginia, stood in the Senate Dome, looking around at the others who had decided to assemble for this meeting. Any Senator had been invited and could put forward their thoughts. Mochi himself was there by use of a newly invented telepresence device, in actuality being located aboard the YSS Resurgence a long way away. Samples of the device had been sent to his colleagues free of charge by him, to hopefully allow more open and practical access to the currently underutilised Senate Dome.

"My fellow Senators. This is the first time we have met in almost 8 years. I hope you don't mind my calling us all here today, given we are sadly without a Premier to supervise this discussion." The Elysian waved his hand to the empty stand that was close by him, which the Imperial Premier would usually occupy. "I've found myself with the time and drive to look at the way our government works recently. There are several points of clarification to protocol that I would like to see enacted by this body. One example being rectifying how we are left at this moment without a Premier, which should ideally never have happened. There are several other procedural clarifications I'd like to address in due course by further Proposals. However, it would be disingenuous to do so without for the first time, establishing proper procedure for making changes to our Constitution." The volumetric projection spoke, seeming indistinguishable from the real thing other than a small grey disk floating below Seinosuke's desk.

"You should have all received a copy of my Proposal, that I wish for this Senate to consider today. Proposal #113, Special Proposals for Amendments." The Star Army officer, dressed in his Class As, finished. The volumetric seemed to be holding a copy of the Proposal, a few sheets of paper fastened together. "As I'm sure you can all agree, our Constitution is by its definiton a higher level of law than the regular goings-on of civilian government and bylaws. This Proposal puts forward a method by which we can protect our Constitution from being changed as if it was any normal law."

The blonde-haired figure slapped the document down on the table somewhat theatrically, leaning forward on the desk with his hands. "At this point I would take the moment to say that while I initally thought about extending the protection of our values in the Constitution to other branches of government, I've decided now is not the time or place to have such a discussion. As of right now I am only proposing self-regulation and limiting our own ability to change this document."

A pause, "I know the public at large and certainly most of you will say 'why are we voluntarily making changes harder for ourselves' and 'why are we voluntarily giving up power'? Well, this is because in my opinion no one should be able to change the values of our Empire without great consideration - to do otherwise breeds animosity and confusion. We have a duty to our citizens to provide a stable and prosperous society where their rights and the values they associate with can't be removed at the drop of a hat."

Seinosuke looked at his fellow Senators each in turn, "I believe this Proposal and my stance here supports Principles 1, 2, 3 and 5 as written in our Constitution. And with that, I'd like to commit this Proposal to the floor."

As per the Senators listed in the wiki page:
@Legix
@Soban
@Wes
@Fred
@paladinrpg
@Andrew
@Nashoba
@Ametheliana
@Doshii Jun

OOC: I'm going to leave the link to the proposal here as it's hard to see in the OP. Proposal #113 Special Proposals for Amendments on Star Army Space Roleplay

IC:

Anslen looked over the final document. He was well aware of the haggling that had brought this one about. He was attending in person, but he had purchased several of the spider pads for his use. One was already on Essia. He was accompanied by two assistants, Naja Sumatrana and Jiyoung Kim. Naja was much shorter in length than the lanky Senator, being from the venomous half of the species. It didn't help that she was missing the last foot of her tail due to her participation in the resistance to the Kuvexian occupation. Jiyoung was a Neko who was born on Essia during the occupation. Her mother had passed all of her memories to her daughter so that she could fight against the Kuvexians. They both carried tablets, Anslen didn't carry any.

Anslen rose to speak his mind about the bill. "Consistency is a core virtue of governments. Arbitrariness is a strike against the legitimacy and the willing cooperation that is needed to form a union from many disparate parts. Every day the citizens of Yamatai strive to form a more perfect union of persons of every shape, size, and form from code to Neko, to Phod, and beyond. We are united by one government, one Empress, one law that applies equally to all. Some laws, some rights, are too precious to be allowed to change for transient or temporary reasons by the mere whim of this senate or any other. ..." Anslen continued, his rhetoric putting him closer to the anti-imperial faction. "... And so, I believe we should pass this proposal before us." He finished.

Unlike most of the actual Senators, Ketsurui-Motoyoshi Katsuko attended the senate in person, having been on Yamatai for pre-electoral meetings and Clan commitments she decided that it would be a good idea to get a from the floor view of what was happening in government. She sat in the chair reserved for Jiyuu's Senator, a vacant position that was open for the next round of elections. The region has undergone vast a transformation and had become resource rich during the war. The Premier hopeful wore a plum kimono with gold hummingbirds and the Motoyoshi mon that provided eye-catching decoration. The datapad she had was projected, an integrated part of her outfit similar to the design of the new Yugumo Corporate uniforms, the projected guise of an amythist hummingbird hovered above her right shoulder, being the chosen veil of the KAIMON Ascendant that followed her everywhere.

The retired Taisho read the proposed bill and observed the interactions of the Senators. It was obvious to her that the Senator proposing the bill had an agenda in mind; it was logical that a proposal to change their nation's constitution would likely soon follow. Katsuko was not there to speak, rather she took notes and made observations trying to understand the motivations and platforms of these possible future colleagues. Win or lose Katsuko knew she would be involved in politics; especially now that Motoyoshi Taro was the planetary governor of Jiyuu and local figurehead for all of the MCS.

She made additional notes after the Senator from Essia spoke, she was interested in seeing how the rest of the assembled Senators interacted. She could not help but to silently reflect on some earlier notes and discussions of her own. Hopefully, this Senate wouldn't be in the trenches for months seeking constitutional change while desperately wartorn regions and hopefully soon to be liberated regions needed more attention. It was obvious though, the struggle ahead was going to be marked by those supporting or not supporting the Imperial agenda.

Senator Gunther Bordolf entered the Senate chamber, and it was the first time that he came to the Senate building. His arrival in person was because he and his wife had come to Yamatai to see their first granddaughter. He wore a simple grey suit that was well-tailored. A bit of gray started to invade his beard. He chose to leave as his wife thought it gave him character. He looked to his Shujuu Android to show where his physical seat was located.

Once he got to his chair, he pulled up the itinerary. He looked at the proposal. He stood up. "If I may, I have some concerns about this proposal. There is no information regarding the term Special Proposal. There is nothing that defines how to initiate a Special Proposal. Before we can vote on this proposal, there needs to be a clear definition of this term Special Proposal."

Gunther sat back down to see what other Senators would speak.

Senator Iemochi gestured in assent towards Senator Bordolf from his stand. "Apologies, my honorable friend. I can revise the Proposal's wording to make this more clear." Seinosuke tapped the paper on his desk once or twice. "A Special Proposal is one that involves the 80% margin and can therefore change the Constitution. It's performed in exactly the same way as any regular Proposal and works in the same way. The 'Special' designation is to distinguish it from a regular Proposal."

"Does this explanation clear that point of order up, or would you like me to go into it a bit further? I'll amend the wording presently. Thank you for asking for clarity, Senator."

Senator Bordolf looked at the change. He stood up and said, "The additional verbiage of the Special Proposal is acceptable to me. It now makes it clear as part of the process." He sat down to allow any other Senator who wished to comment.

Senator Hanako said, "It is unclear if I am able to vote on behalf of Hanako's World, as it is no longer held by Yamatai at present, additionally the lack of an Imperial Premier leaves us without someone to make that call. If I am allowed to vote, please record my vote as YES, because a mechanism to update our constitution is a necessity if we intend to evolve and improve our Empire, which we do."

Senator Iemochi nodded in respect to Bordolf and then Hanako once they each spoke in turn. It was good that Bordolf had spoken up so they'd had the chance to clarify the text somewhat before it was potentially brought into force. With Hanako's speech being picked up and carried across the Senate floor, Seinosuke gazed across the floor towards the well-decorated Taisho.

"A good point of order has been raised." The Elysian spoke with clarity and certainty, following up calmly. "The current state of your system is saddening to us all, Hanako-hime. I am in favour of considering you to still be eligible for voting." Mochi gestured broadly, emphasising his next words - "As Hanako's Star wasn't relinquished in any peace treaty, it's my view that would mean it is still legally part of Yamatai. Therefore, you are still the legitimate Senator for that system, albeit currently 'in exile'."

"Without a Premier to assist in a official ruling, it's down to the concensus of the Senate as to this point. If anyone is against this view, please state so now, otherwise we will move forward with this understanding." The Iemochi would eat his hat if anyone here would be willing to contest the view he had portrayed, especially given Hanako's reputation and privileged status. The officer cast his gaze across the grand room, taking in the faces there. "As it stands we have no dissenting voices to this Proposal and at least three in support. Are there any others who wish to speak or state their intention at this time?"

Last edited:
Katsuko continued to observe the senate in action; the Premier hopeful was there for more than what appeared on the surface. She wanted to know these Senators and their intentions politically. She continued to take careful notes, plausible responses and actions had she already had the title to speak. Hanako's words spired a thought, something she would recommend to her friend later that day when she would hopefully attend the gathering that she was having at Takeda House. Although she didn't disagree or disapprove of the proposal she did have something she was concerned about, so she sent a secure message to Hanako telepathically, //"The proposal does not include a method for the Empress to propose changes to the constitution, only the Senate. I believe that should be clarified in the language."// Katsuko smiled and adjusted her posture in her chair as she took a few more notes.

Anslen, whose world had been occupied during the war agreed. "I agree with Senator Iemochi, just because a world is under occupation doesn't mean it is no longer a part of Yamatai. We represent everyone who calls our nation home, even if parts of it are in trouble."

VOTE TALLY

YES:
  1. Virginia
  2. Hanako's World
  3. Essia
  4. Daichi

NO:
  • No votes
ABSTAIN:
  • No votes, although some systems did not participate in voting.
RESULT:

This proposal passes.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back