• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Abwehrans [Shadow War Chronicles] Nachrichtendienst Briefing (YE 31)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abwehran Commander

Inactive Member
AF 260, First Quarter (YE 31), 4th Month, 13 Day, 2600 hours
Location: Abwehran Armed Force Headquarters "Hexagon", Floor B-9

The Seventeenth Subterranean Floor of the Hexagon was a mysterious place and not because it was the lowest level of the AAF's Headquarters. Technically, it didn't officially exist either since even the blueprints of the facility didn't have plans for it. However, the Nachrichtendienst wouldn't allow their isolated stronghold to be known to prying eyes anyway. It took a special key card to get down to this floor and even the Emperor himself wasn't allowed to know of it. Its existence was yet another reason to despise the intelligence agency of the Abwehran Star Empire, since it had been given incredible leeway compared to other branches.

However, even the people who despised it didn't realize the strict guidelines placed upon the Nachrichtendienst. Even if the Branch had a training center, new recruits didn't go up to recruitment and request to join. No, a Nachrichtendienst officer was chosen and screened heavily before they could even enter. Some rumors even said that they kept track of potential Officers from birth to see if they were the type of 'material' Nachrichtendienst needed. And the main virtue Nachrichtendienst looked for was loyalty, loyalty to the Empire rather than to any specific organization with in the government. A Nachrichtendienst Officer was probably even more fanatical than a religious zealot when it came to the safety of the Abwehran Star Empire and would even assassinate an Emperor to protect it (which some rumors have stated just that).

Currently, there was a new problem the Nachrichtendienst was considering, which was probably why the Geschäftsführer and his Department Heads were meeting in the most secure location in all of Abwehr. A place no network connected to and armored more heavily than any Warship Bridge. In a single room with a round, wooden table, four of the most loyal individuals of all sat with grim demeanor.

Sitting at the table opposite of the only entryway to the room, the Geschäftsführer of Nachrichtendienst, Reinhard Junker, sat with his goggled eyes upon the other three individuals near him. His gunmetal-grey hair had been thinning this past year, especially with the increasing need to gather intelligence on the known galaxy around the Empire. Well on his 40th Year (141st Standard Year), Junker was well into the age where and Abwehran should have been planning on retirement. However, a Geschäftsführer of the Nachrichtendienst couldn't afford to retire during such a time in the Empire's history. Especially with what this meeting was going to be about. "Thank you for coming so promptly," he stated solemnly as he looked to his right.

The Surfacer woman who looked back was smiling back at him, though he honestly couldn't trust her facial expressions. Vertreter Kristin Blau, Head of Analysis, was a baffling woman. The Brunette perpetually had a smile upon her cherubic face and never seemed to frown one bit, but Reinhard knew that it was a mask. Too bad it was a mask that even worked on him.

Reinhard turned to look at the other woman across from him. As Head of Internal Affairs, Jutta Abt was responsible for maintaining all the intelligence cells in Imperial Territory. The fiery red-head had a penchant towards the paranoia when it came to seeking out domestic threats, but she seemed to keep it well under control. She was also the youngest of his Department Heads and seemed to be out for his job. He liked ambitious individuals...if they weren't out to screw the Empire over to gain power. In Jutta's case, her quest for power was more for her desire to see the Nachrichtendienst get more active in ferreting out the Cleansing Way, a religious cult known for ritualistically persecuting her people (the Nightwalkers). Reinhard couldn't fault her for that, since he wanted to wipe out those damned pests himself. However, he didn't have the luxury of going on a fiery purge.

The last woman at the table was his Head of External Affairs, Fritzi Kuefer. She was Jutta's counterpart in charge of all the intelligence cells outside Imperial Territory. Those cells were the ones responsible for infiltrating other nations to gather key intelligence on possible allies, as well as possible enemies. She was also the smallest of the four, but seemed to make up for it with and almost single-minded, juggernaut-like mentality. Fritzi also had the most arrogant personality among them as well and it didn't help matters that she was one of the old matriarchy-first firebrands. The Platinum Blonde seemed to have it in her head that men belonged on the front-line with their clubs and that they should leave the 'real work' to the more intelligent women. Of course, she at least buried her personal opinions when on the job and Reinhard couldn't fault her competence. It was probably for the best too, since nearly 99% of External Affairs was made up of Female Abwehrans (who could easily infiltrate non-Abwehran organizations compared to the easily identifiable males).

The old man cleared his throat slightly. "Before we move onto to our main business, I'd like a status report on all of your departments. Frau Blau?"

"Analysis is operating perfectly." the Brunette replied confidently. "We anticipate no issues with our current work load."

"Understood,” the man replied. “Frau..." Reinhard began.

"My Department is functioning properly, but the new business will mostly involve them I believe." Jutta interrupted, trying to hurry the formalities along.

"It will involve all of our departments, Frau Abt. Patience is something you need to work on," Fritzi stated sardonically before she turned to Reinhard. "External Affairs is stretched thin, like always Geschäftsführer, but we are up to the task."

"Point taken. Then I might as well get started. We're here today because all three of your Departments have found evidence of a very disturbing event. Ladies, the Empire is being infiltrated by a foreign power and we all we know is that it's being done by the organization known as Sfrarabla Nougpift and its military branch, NMX." Reinhard stated as he looked at the knowing expressions on his Department Heads. "We all know this, but what I've called you here for is to plan our next move."

"That's simple. I'll turn my agents loose and capture any NMX agents." Jutta stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Not as simple an act as you make it out to be, Fraulein," Kristin replied. "With the new influx of immigrants, refugees, and tourists, we won't be able to keep all of them out and once they're on world, they can just disappear."

"We also are more thinly spread in the Colonies and that's where they are coming in," Fritzi added before grimacing.

"Of course, there are always difficulties keeping agents out of a multi-system polity," Reinhard agreed. "However, I don't want us to capture every single one of them. Better to keep an eye on some of the agents we know and make sure they don't funnel the dangerous tidbits than to waste the effort to capture all of them. We may even be able to slip disinformation into the mix."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a woman," Fritzi chuckled lowly. Jutta didn't seem to be as impressed with the response. "The only good thing is that they haven't done anything 'drastic' as of yet."

"That's only because they are just starting to set up." the Head of Analysis replied. "And how will we know which to monitor and which to bring in, Geschäftsführer?" Kristin asked with that damnable smile still plastered on her face. The elderly man nodded thoughtfully to the question.

"I'm willing to take suggestions on that matter, but I believe it would be spies in our military and government personnel that are the closest to sensitive information: Research and Development, High-Level Strategic Committees, etc."

"Don't forget Law Enforcement and Corporate Sectors," Jutta stated with a hint of annoyance.

"We should also be prepared for NMX agents trying to garner support with dissidents or even politicians." Fritzi went further. "It'd be dangerous to have 'loyal' citizens tricked by foreign espionage."

Reinhard snorted lightly and tapped idly upon his palm computer with his lower left hand. "We may also have to monitor Civilian News Networks as well."

"That's a lot of channels to check," Kristin stated lightly as she pulled out her palm computer to check her files. "But with the personnel Domestic Affairs has, we should be able to do it."

"And why hasn't anyone mentioned telling the Emperor about this?" Jutta asked as the other three in the room went silent.

"...We'll be breaking and bending a lot of rules to protect our Empire, Frau Abt." Reinhard stated hesitantly.

"And it would be better if the Imperial Family could deny responsibility for our actions," Fritzi finished with no hesitation at all. "Plausible deniability is always the name of the game for Nachrichtendienst. It's why we're paid so handsomely to begin with..."

"And here I thought it was that high to keep us from being bribed," Kristin teased absent-mindedly.

"That's just a bonus," Reinhard stated before clearing his throat.

"Well Ladies, I do believe we have a general plan. I want you three to sit down with your departments and cook up the details. Any Anti-NMX operations are to be planned by the Department with jurisdiction and approved by either of you..." he paused to glance at Jutta and Fritzi, "...before hand."

"Jawohl," both women replied simultaneously.

"Meeting is adjourned for now, dismissed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back