• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Shastas' World] Pathfinder Class Battlemech

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I know you started this a long time ago but it does not follow the power armor template and should. Don't overhaul but a lot of key sections are missing: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=templates:power_armor

Could this be first produced in current year?

Prose needs to come after subheaders such as "statistical information" "Onboard Systems Descriptions" "Fairy AI" (for this one put the sentence that starts with "The Pathfinder contains a Shastas' World..." above the link to the ai)

the emojis on the drone page are adorable

For the mirage system text could you please include "camouflage" or something close to within the first sentence OR within the header such as "Mirage Camo System"? I want to make it apparent to a reader quickly that it's a visual camouflage system as its name would imply. Not necessary, though.

"Simple if effective jump jets are installed..." that isn't the phrase. I think you mean "simple, if not effective jump jets..."

Glass Maker link in a chart is red/broken.

I saw you have three separate bullet points for the mecha's DR:
  • Body: T-7 Light Mecha
  • Cockpit: T-5 Medium Armor
  • Shields: Zero, no Shields.
The whole mecha should be one tier. There should not be three bullets here but one for the entire unit.
"An armor's resilience is defined by the tier its unit is part of."
"The potency of a barrier always is on the same tier as the unit fielding it."
Both are from: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:damage_rating_v3

I want to tell you that if there is some good reason it is unshielded that is okay but it has three onboard weapon systems and it has a main gun whose purpose is sniping so I don't think I will allow that. If this were a mining or niche civ mecha then yeah sure we could talk but it is not.

I can make more assessments after DR is understood.

(Im working on some of that now but here's my reply for the DR stuff)

The armor and no shielding is exactly how i want it to be and in no way breaks the DRv3 rules. Those rules are for one-upmanship and not under-tiering. So under-tiering is not breaking the rules like if I, say, make something with above my damage rating of shielding. The cockpit is also a cockpit and is visibly exposed and is one of my magic gem weak spots of this mech.

As for shielding my corporation is not advanced in any way and is the exact opposite. They dont make cutting edge ANYTHING and cut costs and whatever they can. They are the chinese sweatshop quality of this setting to which Ive left exposed joints, An exposed cockpit (which will be a trend), and no shields. Its not made to go out into the setting and fight mindys or fight off nepleslia.

its a low quality (by this settings standards) mech that shoots a big radioactive laser and breaks down often as everything in this corp does.

(i also did put it in the vehicle template i just forgot to put that in the submission parameters cause templates and stuff dont show unless you click "more options" and it expands to things like templates, etc. which i had to edit after i submitted it for the sub-article)

Ok @Ametheliana ive fixed those couple readability issues. Fixed the stuff with the Mirage to have both of those with camo in them. The glassmaker redlink is its non-wip destination and is only broken until it is approved as a sub-article of this article.

For things like adding to prose of the sub-headers ive done but things like Statistical Information and Onboard systems description there's not really anything i can think to add to those as statistical information I'm aware about it saying "Brief description about the stats" but there's nothing i can really short-write that isn't in the article already andOnbaord Systems tells you to describe what's in the vehicle which is already done through the sub-headers and is kind of pointless other than to add a couple sentences more for someone to skim over and not read and i dont really find them important to the article as they in no way add or take away to what this article is with or without them and are not a crucial component that would go unnoticed.

Saying something akin to, "that's now what the rules are for, I didn't break them" means I will need to think on this.

You have submitted another armor with two different values for its DR here:

I actually came here to check on the similarities and saw your @, sorry.

There is no reason in my mind for either rule break/ bend. I am worried this is just how you prefer to make submissions and any excuse why it is okay this time is a one off reason and next time there will be another one off reason, so I have to think on this. I am heavily leaning towards "don't break the rules, please have one tier for the whole mecha" and planning for that for this submission and others now might be a good call. If there is a good reason for this highly weaponized platform to be compltely unshielded, I am all ears.

I would suggest that you change the name to Mecha, BattleMech is a a copyrighted thing.

Thanks, Nash. Fixed that.

That being said I'm not making it stronger. I dont have to make things OP or have no flaws or weaknesses.

Shields are not mandatory. Not everything has to have shields and i, the one who sets the standards for what my corporation (which i have stated is of extremely low quality production already) makes, and dont want it to have shields so it doesn't. Some future mechs will. This one and others wont.

As for the armor i want to @Wes of that for an official SM stance because, and im not making this big colored text to be spiteful or insulting but i want to outline this as clearly as i can Those rules were made to prevent one-upmanship, Which i am not trying to do.

Last edited:
After speaking to wes and wondering aloud why this is being so overcomplicated for something that should be so simple I've went ahead and just made a simple citation about the cockpit.
@Ametheliana can we proceed?

This is less a problem of shielded vs unshielded and is more of an issue of correctly formatted vs improperly formatted. See my closing paragraph.

Body and shields still do not need to be separate as you have them. DRv3 needs just one DR value for a whole mecha. You have two tiers for one mecha, just have one and use the power armor template:

Code:
==== Damage Capacity Stats ====

See [[guide:damage_rating_v3|]] for a guide to damage ratings to include.

DRv3 Tier: (target type, i.e.: Medium Anti-Mecha)

Here is what you have:

"Body: T-7 Light Mecha5)
Shields: Zero, no Shields."

Colored text isn't insulting, but having to see a whole presentation and still tell you that your wiki article's formatting is wrong as I said in my original post of this thread feels insulting. Change your article's formatting to the one it needs to be and we can actually see it closer to the final product without the vestigial formatting you gave it which is the issue.

The vehicle template, which i am using as this is 100% a vehicle and not powered armor lists it as:
==== Damage Capacity ====
See [[guide:damage_rating_v3]] for an explanation of the damage system.

* Body: ? SP (Armor Scale)
* Shields: ? SP (Armor Scale)

And i want to keep it saying zero shields in that segment because i dont want anyone to have to search to find out if it does or does not.

Nobody really had that conversation with me besides Alex Hart. An official ruling on the template that a mecha uses within a setting discussion thread should be made. As for now, I want to think on it and see what a side thread yields because I would adamantly say it is a power armor template and would request you to change in this thread, but this isn't just about my opinion. Who wants to make that thread? Please link this one.

Not me. Seems like a waste considering im not making mecha.

I made it with the vehicle template i just didn't add it in the template spot for submissions because unless you chose "more options" to expand the thread creation it doesn't give that option.

Also this is not traditional "mecha" im making but is a step down and is closer to just an armored vehicle with legs than anything that constitutes "mecha" is SARP such as the upscaled power armor.

The only thing mecha about it is its damage rating and beyond that it has everything i want in it without me wanting to add more that another template would require of me. As i'd have to remove all the extra stuff it wouldn't have anyway like FTL, sunlight speeds, etc.

Problem was that the vehicle template uses two lines for DR because it is basing it off of DR 2. When I saw the vehicle template says "SP" I realized the mistake made.

I am updating vehicle template to comply with current year, standby.

Alrriiiiiiight let me know what you think. I tried to keep changes minimal so that you wouldn't have to spice it all up. Next time say up front "I disagree with you telling me to use the PA template" because we didn't have to have three miscommunications when we could have kept it to that one. I was to blame too. Let me know what you think about it now and we can move on, though.

Let you know what i think about what? If its about the Vic template i think it looks fine the way you changed it but i personally dont see the reason to remove the shields part considering if it doesn't have shields they can just do what i did or remove that part like you do all the other parts of a template that dont apply to the article.

*edit.

Also, I'm making a mech which I consider different to mecha. Before anyone starts pulling up an oxford dictionary mecha in my eyes has always been things like gundams, VOTOMS, mobile suits, traditional eastern humanoid armored robots. Where Mech' is synonymous with the more western style robots like from battletech, Mechwarrior, and sundowner.

Last edited:
Second post*

Also before this gets brought up again about templates and we do another back and forth the vehicle template has everything the PA template has except Atmosphereic and Sublight speeds and also Hardpoints. Which this mech doesn't have atmosphereic or FTL flight capabilities and is just pressure sealed to work in void and has basic movement thrusters that wont work for flying.

And its not a customizable platform so it doesn't have hardpoints.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back