Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Should New Plots Start In Open RP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current policy is that all plots should start as Open RPs. The reason for this is so new players can find them easily and join them and to reduce the amount of subforums being created for "one mission wonder" plots. But after talking with Aendri today I was thinking it might be better to give GMs more options. So I'm looking for feedback on this rule. Please vote in the poll above.

Like I said in our discussion, I don't feel like the Open RP section is the right path for every plot. While some plots will excel and are perfectly suited to the RP, other plots are basically the exact same as existing plots in terms of how they work, but are shoehorned into the Open RP section just because that's the policy. To me, the Open RP section should be more for testing the waters, one off plots/threads, or short term, in and out sort of plots, where there will be lots of character movement into and out of the plot, or the plot is only meant to be a single mission. To me, it makes sense for full on plots, intended to go on long term, to be put on a slightly firmer footing from a canon standpoint, and confirmed as canon right out of the box, but maintaining more rigorous requirements for starting, just like we used to do, while using Open RP as a place for RP that might become canon, or might not, allowing for that more open flexibility, with things needing review and approval to move from the Open RP to the rest of the site. That would allow people who aren't as steady on a character concept to operate like they do now, and flesh out a character through usage, and once the character is ready to pass a full approval (from the GM or otherwise), move on to more long term things in the site as a whole.

I don't like the wording on the "yes" option, but I chose it anyway.

Start everyone in Open RP. If they do well, move them to a subforum. Are there examples of this not working, or is the stigma of Open RP affecting viewpoints?

I think that if a plot is for a Faction, it should be in it.

Example. John Doe decides he wants to run a SAOY plot. It should be in the Root of the Yamatai Star Empire. If it proves successful; eg completes a full mission, and gearing up to a second one then give it a subforum.

It also makes it easier for the GM to tell folks where to look for the thread. Because the root of Yamatai is pretty quiet, telling them that it is in that forum, means it will be at the top of the other threads.

After all if its a one mission wonder, it was for that faction.

The Open RP is pretty much a dumping ground, for any sort of Roleplay.

Reactions: Wes
I do not like the idea of every RP starting in Open RP especially if it's from someone who already has full GM credentials. Because Open RP is advertised as the 'fast and loose no submission needed' RP place. I mean just the other day Wes told someone that it's polite to ask first but not -required- to join an open RP, and there are several RPs in open RP in at the moment that -do- require sign up, because they're only in open because they haven't finished their first mission yet. And I have actually -seen- a case where someone tried to join Ryujo without signing up while it was in open RP.

If the Open RP forum is not getting attention you don't just force things that don't fit the rules of it in there so it looks active. You come up with a way to encourage people to actually use the feature for what it was meant. -Maybe- the first mission of the first plot someone ever runs can go in there. But there is no reason a GM should need to have to go through Open RP if you know their GMing is fine. Especially when people are being encouraged to just "join any open RP plot they want"

Okay, based on the poll results, new plots now have a choice of starting in Open RP or starting in their faction forum. Subforums are available for RP plots who have successfully completed a first mission thread and who plan to be around for a while and make more threads. See Apply to Become a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back