• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Closed Should We Restore Internet Relay Chat?

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This is a poll to ask whether or not Star Army should re-establish a permanent presence in IRC like we used to have before we moved to the site chatrooms. If we did, we'd use the #StarArmy channel as an accepted fan channel that would have some staff and other trusted members like Kyle as volunteer channel operators. No staff would be required to join it.

The purpose of this would be to allow the people who left and formed their alternative IRC community (which has been the source of a lot of debate lately) to feel like they can finally safely return home. The IRC channel would be made with minimal rules and high freedom of speech and the bot in there would be used for channel protection purposes only since trying to police language with the bot is what started this whole issue. We would not require posts there to worksafe, apolitical, or politically correct, and if people want to gripe in there, within reason, it would be okay.

It is my hope that by embracing the SARPers in the IRC crowd instead of treating them like outsiders, we can restore a sense of unity to the community that's been missing since the blowup over the chat bot. The built-in site chat would be unaffected by this change.

Obviously my previous policies were not working and I'm trying to make a change for the group good. I also want to apologize for those in the IRC who I offended by making negative comments about it. I'd much rather work together than work against you guys.

Feel free to post your feedback here but please try to keep it positive in tone. I know this is a sensitive subject for some people.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like this implementation - however, I would also very much like to state that I would like the rules that are implemented spelled out before I cast my vote.

I'm open to suggestions for those, but the gist is already in the opening post. Nothing that violates the IRC network's policies, obviously, and don't be a huge dick. That's about it. I will leave it up mostly to the judgement of the channel volunteers, which is how it's worked in the alternative channel.

So long as the bot goes, and our rights of freedom of speech are kept I am 100% for this idea, when Wes created the shoutbox I told him he shouldn't abandon the roots of what brought so many people to the website... But he wound up doing what he thought was best, and it turned out it wasn't. I am glad at least now that he sees it, and is willing to correct it. I support him in this endeavor.

I'm against it. I've been critical of the move to the Xenforo boards, but the chat implementation was one of the better things that happened and I felt the way it was policed was adequate. I felt it was appropriate that it reduced the need to go on IRC, and I haven't missed the rampant negativity that was on the SARP IRC.

This said, my vote is in. Whether it goes in favor of my preference or not, the SARP mIRC is mostly dead to me anyways, and I don't plan to go back to it. No skin off my back if it does actually get used. I just wouldn't recommend newcomers to go there, as I feel it is not an adequate representation of what this community strives to be (or should, anyways).

I don't see how having an "Official" IRC with these rules is necessary. The IRC exists. There is already one out there and staff members do frequent it as far as I am aware. It exists, why endorse it? Does it /need/ an endorsement?

So in other words, that would be the official unofficial chat room, right? The issue I see with that is if you're trying to get people back to the site here via an IRC channel, but you have two sets of rules for here versus the channel, you're going to confuse some people. (Granted, not everyone.)

Personally, I believe it is the individual players prerogative to decide if they want to participate on the site. If the people on the IRC think they aren't allowed back here for whatever reason they may have come up with, that doesn't exist then that's fine. Their choice. You've made it clear they haven't bee banned, they are allowed to play on the site, they are allowed to openly participate in threads.

The site chatbox is the site chatbox. This whole movement is /pointless/ because it actually changes nothing. We have the official Chatbox where people can participate in discussions to their hearts desire, so long as they follow the rules. If they are upset That rules infringe on their Freedom of Speech, then there is the IRC. As far as I am aware, they can say whatever they want, and while people may like it, they cannot infringe on the Freedom of Speech. Keeping it separate actually adds to that ideal, because if something is endorsed by the website, then they should be subjected to the Site Rules. All six of them have a very strong lean of "Anti-Negativity" such as no faction bashing, no complaining about accepted parts of the setting ((Which I'll be the first to admit I have broken a couple times in the chatbox)) and no chasing away new players with negativity. These are what I find when searching the /site/ for the site rules, not the wiki.

Even the Sites "Code of Conduct" indicate that players do not have the total and complete freedom of speech, give Code of Conduct Articles 1.2, 1.3, and 1.5 are perfect examples of this. I will say again, should not all endorsed, and supported aspects of the website not conform to the baseline rules and regulations expected of you when you /join/ the site?

Further proof, is that the Second Term of Service within the General tab of the Site ToS very directly states:

You will not use the website in any manner that harasses another member or could interfere with any other party's use or enjoyment of the website. You will respect the privacy of others and not use the website for unwelcome, rude or abusive communications, including the creation obscene, offensive, tasteless, defamatory or hateful member names or content.

This Rule does not only adhere to the Website as a main, but any Service that is directly supported and run by StarArmy

By registering for or continuing to use this website, you agree that you are legally and socially obligated to comply with the terms of service. If you do not accept this agreement you may not access or use StarArmy.com or its services. We reserve the right to update this policy at any time without notice.

And finally, using the ToS once again, allowing such a high level of open, Free Speech, could very well infringe on this. By supporting an IRC that allows such freedom of speech, The entire staff board will be creating a section of the website that is free to Violate the ToS at will, without Repurcussions.

Leave the system how it is.

I am new so maybe it's just me but I think it will split our community between the website chat and IRC chat, which essentially is new players vs veterans honestly. Do we really need two chats?Will this make new players in the website chat feel like outsiders? I have to say it is very intimidating for a new player here. It seems like some of the veterans have their own clique to me and I will never be a part of it. That's just my two cents and I'm not talking about anyone specifically, nor do I mean any offense. I might add that this community is great and far more welcoming than most. This might just be my social anxiety talking.

I newbie-poach regularly. If I want them on IRC, I'll get them on IRC. No need to bring up a second chat that does the same thing the other two chats do except worse.

I will also say that I think no religion or politics should remain a rule if you want everyone to feel welcome in the IRC.

SARPFree's ownership is changing. I made the deal with Wes to resign ownership and permaOP in order to remain staff, where I feel I can better serve veteran players and the community as a whole.

Because I am not officially linked to it any longer, my speaking about it is based in experience. It is a defense of the channel, but it's one that is subject to irrelevancy in the face of a new owner, who can and will run it how they want.

SARPFree is not about feeling "welcome." Nor is it about feeling like you're a part of something, that you've joined a team or any other similar analogy.

It's about freedom. It is the safety valve for SARP. When you're there, you say what you want. You own the consequences.

It's also like a VFW hall, where grizzled veterans go to drink and bitch and laugh about old times. Some newbies fit. Some don't. No hard feelings either way. We're all SARPers.

I understand Wes' issues with it. They're practical enough and reasoned. That said, if Free and its ethos did not exist, I shudder to imagine the state of our community.

Edit: Ah, a wordfilter. Lovely.

********'s ownership is changing. I made the deal with Wes to resign ownership and permaOP in order to remain staff, where I feel I can better serve veteran players and the community as a whole.

Because I am not officially linked to it any longer, my speaking about it is based in experience. It is a defense of the channel, but it's one that is subject to irrelevancy in the face of a new owner, who can and will run it how they want.

******** is not about feeling "welcome." Nor is it about feeling like you're a part of something, that you've joined a team or any other similar analogy.

It's about freedom. It is the safety valve for SARP. When you're there, you say what you want. You own the consequences.

It's also like a VFW hall, where grizzled veterans go to drink and bitch and laugh about old times. Some newbies fit. Some don't. No hard feelings either way. We're all SARPers.

I understand Wes' issues with it. They're practical enough and reasoned. That said, if Free and its ethos did not exist, I shudder to imagine the state of our community.

Edit: Ah, a wordfilter. Lovely.

I would like to point out that, as I said before, if the IRC becomes supported by the Website, it will be under the Websites Terms of Services, and actions will have to abide by them. By being a separate entity, it doesn't have to conform by the ToS. Leave it how it is. This is nothing but a publicity thing in my eyes because it won't change anything.

weird. Can you break it up so the word filter doesn't catch it? I simply can't imagine that it's word filtered for any other reason than some weird mistake.

No, it's wordfiltered quite on purpose. Wes does not want anyone finding their way to it through a public post. I should have realized that it would be wordfiltered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back