• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Shouri Multi-layer Hull & Frame Constructs

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
No really new technology utilized (more showing than seeking approval, considering there no nothing new to approve), just spaceframe and hull combinations you will likely see on newer MFY models.

Shouri Hull and Frame Constructs

Now we're getting into it.

This does several things the DR scale doesn't really account for.

1. It adds additional DR to single elements (armor) by adding forcefields or ablative elements.

2. It upgrades DR levels based on the thickness of the armor (1 meter vs. 3 meters).

3. It upgrades DR levels based on added materials (fullerenes).

4. It changes DR levels based on how the armor is formed (Yamataium mesh vs. plate armor).

These things aren't bad whatsoever. But the DR system should either be changed to account for things like this, or this should be disapproved because it manipulates the DR system.

I might just be nitpicking here, but according to the Yarvex description:

"The resulting cloth like substance is impervious to penetration, although it does nothing to stop kinetic energy."

Combining Yarvex with buckypaper, fullerenes, carbon rings, or whatever you want to call relevant family of carbon allotrope, is useless. Yarvex apparently has tensile strength a kazillion times more than carbon allotropes, which alone is reason enough just to scrap the latter. Nanotube-based materials also form defects easily, and permanently (plastic deformation), meaning you could only take a good hit or two before the armor's durability drops by entire magnitudes

I've noticed a lot of people like to add them to their submissions because they're the modern world's "on-the-horizon" dream wondermaterial -- but take into context that SARP materials are already centuries (if not millennia) head of the modern world, so stuff like Yarvex is superior in almost every possible way.

Doshii Jun said:
Now we're getting into it.

This does several things the DR scale doesn't really account for.

1. It adds additional DR to single elements (armor) by adding forcefields or ablative elements.

2. It upgrades DR levels based on the thickness of the armor (1 meter vs. 3 meters).

3. It upgrades DR levels based on added materials (fullerenes).

4. It changes DR levels based on how the armor is formed (Yamataium mesh vs. plate armor).

These things aren't bad whatsoever. But the DR system should either be changed to account for things like this, or this should be disapproved because it manipulates the DR system.

As a point, the DR system is a guideline. One that is slightly dynamic. All of the principles above have been applied in already approved technologies. ie. The frame and truss system designed for the Takumi Class. (which has always had the forcefield reinforcement) Thus why I pointed there really is nothing new here thus this not being up for approval or disapproval.

As for the ablative armor, note already approved item, from Matt's faction:
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=ab ... or_plating

As for Strangelove, the reason for the added fullerite supports to the Yarvex is to hold the sheeting up.

Anyway as I said prior there was nothing new here.

And as I said previously, I realize that. I'm not saying things are new.

I'm saying this is a chance to further refine the DR system. I'm sorry it didn't get caught, or wasn't taken advantage of, with the Takumi, the Abwehr, or with Strangelove's stuff. I'm pointing it out now because I see it.

I can be ignored, obviously, but my analysis is still valid — that you don't want to have this submission rot because of it isn't my fault.

The DR system has always been dynamic, it is a guideline...the numbers really dont mean a lot to me. I have been always one to describe how the hull and frame is put together (trusses and rods, plates etc). Guess I am just alittle more slanted for the IC...

It was not the numbers I was really looking for feedback on, as that I plan to DR the individual ships on their designs. I was more looking to show that it is not one peice, but multiple peices?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back