• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Sidebar buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.
*cringes* Sorry Wes. I can't say I like it.

Firstly, the button color stands out a lot. I think they are too bright - well, too bright and too visible for my comfort anyways.

Secondly, while I understand that you've been trying to organise your menu, giving it a tree-organisation makes it so that it takes longer for someone to access a particular bit of data on the site. When you're in a JP, getting access to something in one click trumps having to link, look for the next link, click again, look around again and finally click to get to where you want to go.

Instead of just leaving you with a plain complaint, I'm going to give recommendations:
  • Buttons: Don't use them for the sidebar. Stay with the text like before. It gives the sidebar a more even look anyways. Right now it has all the charm of a girl with an unbalanced bra (one boob higher than the other, y'know?)
  • The Main Menu link should be on the top, I think. If I want to access all the features of the site, I go to the main menu.
  • The link to the forum and the imageboard should come as close seconds. I'm used to having them be up top, firstly (okay, that's a lame argument) and if you want the imageboard to see use, it should be a bit more to the forefront, I think. Don't forget that the sidebar also acts like a menu for people moving out of the imageboard through links, so, that's a good thing to leave the main menu and forum links with high visibility by keeping them up the list (due to the way the human eye behaves).
  • What I think should be more visible: The New Player's Guide. It's the starting point for new forum members seeking to make a character. It should be our fourth most important link ~_~
  • What I would like to be able to access quickly: I enjoy quick access to the CCG (to review races, occupations and skills), info on the Star Army as an 'organisation', the starship guide, the large starmap, the yamataian ranks and medal awards.
  • What I think the sidebar doesn't need: I never ever used the search feature to look through the website (tried it for the first time today and I was underwhelmed - this is main menu stuff) or the forums through the sidebar. If I want to make a search on the forum, I bring up the forum, then click the search link on the upper right list to get my search.

I'm roughly ambivalent since I don't use them anyway, however one thing I will say is that the search function of the main website can be very useful when trying to find obscure ships and technology.

It's the only way to find some of the really strange stuff.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its use. I just think it should be left on the main menu. Two clicks away instead of just one.

I agree that the CCG should be more visible. New players will have a tough time finding them with the current menu configuration.

Other than that, should we tune the menu to lure potential new players, or tailor them for more experienced players and GMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back