• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Silent Voices are Heard

The feed shows an interior shot of the Imperial Senate. There are relatively few Senators in attendance. An Elysian Senator is talking quite expressively. The Premier sits at their position stoically.

The Senator speaks, "Premier! Surely you don't intend to challenge my intentions and overstep your bounds by commenting on the contents of a Proposal rather than points of order regarding it, then shut down my legally-afforded ability to respond to it? I thought better of you. Adjourning a session after opening it to further comment like you did. I would like to bring to order an emergency session immediately on your conduct. Your role in this body is to mediate and moderate, not to attempt to belittle its members and then run away when called out on trying to do so. It dishonours the name of Ketsurui."

The camera cut back to the studio, where two presenters were sat, one Neko and one Nepleslian. The Nepleslia spoke, "Yanisho, that was the last transmission from the Imperial Senate that has everyone talking today! A very bold move by Senator Iemochi, speaking out against the imperially appointed Premier Katsuko about the rights of the Senate!"

The other presenter laughed, "The rights of the Senate? Back in the day we called them Imperial Advisors. Clearly, the Senator was out of line for even speaking to a Ketsurui. What is he, an Elysian? Not even a Minkan! Now, Burr, shouldn't we move on to the weather?"

The Nepleslian frowned, shuffling their papers, visibly upset. They looked down and then up at the camera, then back to their co-presenter. "Well, surely he has a right to speak for his people and express other opinions? People come from all kinds of cultures and experiences-"

Before they could continue, the other presenter cut them off with a snort and leaned forwards on the desk. "Opinions? What opinions? We're Yamataian. That means whatever comes from the Empress, or the Empress' officials, is right! Opinion and culture doesn't come into it! We don't change for anyone! The laws and rights this Senator is so concerned with could be deemed wrong tomorrow if the Empress wills it, and that's exactly how it should be!" She sat back in her chair, arms crossed and with a confident smile.

The other blinked, visibly somewhat astonished. "Surely you can see that immigrants like myself, or people of different cultures or races might have our own views and ideas-"

The Neko visibly slammed the desk with a flat palm, "The Empress has a perfect vision of Yamatai! Unless her mind changes, nothing should change. It is the kami's will. That's why only she controls the Star Army, not the people. Why should they have a say in the workings, laws and policy of Yamatai? The Empress is unchallengeable, if you think a law is wrong, you're wrong! This Senator mentioned the Star Army having control over the civilian world - why not? I was made by the Star Army and I think it would be a better nation if the Empress and the Star Army were the only government bodies anywhere. What else do we need? Why should our voices count for anything? Why should we have a say in our government?"

The Nepleslian seemed to be struggling to process what they were hearing. They were about to say something, then put a hand up to their ear. "Hang on Yanisho, it seems like that Senator from earlier is making a statement outside of the Imperial Senate by volumetrics. Let's tune in."

The feed cut to outside the grand Imperial Senate, where Senator Iemochi was appearing before a crowd of reporters by volumetrics beaming out of a spider pad. "I'm here to make an announcement. As you just heard inside, Premier Ketsurui Katsuko expressed in her official capacity as Imperial Premier as appointed by the Empress, that she does not need to converse with an elected Senator on their objections even after overreaching her station to make her own."

"I was born and raised in Yamatai as much as any Nekovalkyrja. I was a Minkan, and chose to become an Elysian to better integrate with that culture, which I admire. I did so to be able to father Elysian children and let them choose who they want to be. I've served in the Star Army through the Kuvexian War and I still serve today. I love Yamatai, but I see its flaws."

"I'm sure you all understand in your core that simply being born close to someone does not elevate your status above anyone else. That's not how society should work. We've even seen natural born Ketsuruis make mistakes in the past."

"Being from a different race, a different culture, a different upbringing or a different nation. These things do not make you lesser, and they do not mean your wishes and beliefs should go unheard and unconsidered."

Senator Iemochi gestured behind them to the Imperial Senate. "Not so long ago this place did not exist. Elysians, Separa'Shan, Nepleslian, Abwehrans, Kodians, Phods and all other races did not have national representation."

"You all come from places that once had their own cultures, customs and politics. Your own aspirations, dreams and ambitions. Your own identities. One way or another, you have joined the Yamatai Star Empire. You have been told that things have to be a certain way. That you should sit down and shut up and be governed from on high, unable to change it or speak out for your heritage and ideals."

"I know you all listening from what was once the United Outer Colonies know this all too well. Many of you live on worlds garrisoned by the Star Army and are unable to speak freely about your true thoughts."

"Unless you were born and raised in an imperial family, or the Star Army, or never visited another nation, or even a suzerainty.. You understand that people vary. Beliefs vary. Perhaps the way we do things CAN be improved. That by pooling our thoughts, experiences and intellect together that we could build a better Yamatai than it is."

At this point, a few angry Nekos could be seen coming up towards the the Senate building. "And for that purpose I would like to announce Yamatai's first political party. The Discourse Party. We hope for--" One of the Nekos jumped on the pad, smashing it with their incredible strength and eliminating the hologram.

"Down with the Senate! Power to the Samurai!" She barked, shoving the cameras away. In response, some other members of the crowd began pushing back, "Why did you stop him?! He has a right to speak!" The feed abruptly cut back to the studio. Yanisho was out of her seat, red faced, with the chair somewhere behind her. "That treasonous bastard!" She shrieked, punching the desk hard enough to crack it. The Nepleslian, in the meantime, was still in their seat with a small smile on their face.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back