Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Site Update: September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcements Forum Added

As you can see, I'm opening a new centralized spot for Star Army news and updates! This will help make sure they're visible to everyone.

Site Fixes

1. Fixed an outdated link to the character list that was in the character template form. Thanks to Nashoba for catching this.
To report bugs, use the tech support forum.

XenForo Updates

Star Army updated to the latest version of XenForo without issues and also updated some add-ons. Notably we switched from the monster art to a better looking robot art for randomly-generated user avatars. These are the avatars that appear when a user hasn't picked one yet. The avatars are served by Robohash.

Facebook and Twitter Integration

Star Army now has basic apps with Facebook and with Twitter that allow you to optionally log in with your Facebook or Twitter account. New users can sign up to the forum using either one, or make a standard Star Army account.

The reason for this change:
  1. make it easier to sign up or log in, since a user has less passwords to remember
  2. Twitter and Facebook have highly developed, reliable login systems that are more secure than ours (we don't use HTTPS currently). In the case of Facebook you can set up 2-step authentication, for example.
Some important notes:
  1. These apps are for logging in only.
  2. I don't collect any new data using these. The forum may get stuff for the usual profile fields but I'm not sure it even gets that.
  3. It's not going to make posts on your Facebook or Twitter.
If some users want to be my guinea pigs and test it out, I would really appreciate it and your feedback.

Future Goals

In the future, I would like to add the following features:
  1. Add HTTPS support for Star Army, either globally or at least our login and registration pages to provide increased security of passwords. Google is starting to use HTTPS support as a signal for rankings, so this is also important from that point of view.
  2. Change the wiki's login method to use the forum's, essentially allowing the site to have a single sign-on instead of having to have a forum account and a wiki account.

Is there a way to use Google/G+ sign-ins too?

Hell yes on the wiki login bit.

I'd be happy to try out the facebook bit, but us folk with legacy accounts — what happens to us if we use facebook?

You can associate your regular account with your Facebook account and use either one to sign in. It's the same for Twitter.

Google logins are possible and I plan to add that feature soon.

Google Integration

NEW: Star Army now has a basic app that will allow you to optionally log in with your Google account.

Raaaaaaaaaawk. I'll try them out.

UPDATE: Google's worked perfectly; my main account is linked to my Google account. It knew to associate the two based on matching email addresses.

Facebook kept erring out. I couldn't get it to take after several tries. My twitter is for work, so I didn't want to go there.

Last edited:
External Accounts is where users can go to see their linked accounts.

Weird, I was able to get the Facebook test to pass on the admin control panel but I get an error too from the actual external account page.

I double-checked and got the same result from the sign-in page and the External Accounts page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back