• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Snipers?

Combat primarily occurs in space but there has been a drive to get more ground combat in (the Miharu is currently involved in one). As to snipers in the correct sense (i.e. people that sneak in to take out a small number of high priority targets) I do not believe they really exist in the setting. If you are thinking in terms of 'marksmen', then yes. The weapons exist for long range line-of-sight ground combat but most of what I have seen occurs in the short-to-mid-range bracket (less than a few hundred meters).

I don't suppose there are sniper rifles for both space and ground combat? LRM is one thing, but a LR Laser or Guass rifle would be cool as well.

Snipers, in the military sense of two guys stalking and killing high value targets, are more or less negated by the fact that most ground warfare is started by drops from the air.

But if a prolonged war on a planet happens, there are long-range weapons and PA designed for cover warfare, such as the Nepleslian NIGHT series.

Historically, the Star Army's predecessor, the Army of Uesureya, maintained at at least 2 or 3 special forces units of about 1000 snipers each. I don't think the Star Army has that many, but there are some Nekovalkyra snipers around, in the sense that there are special forces units where small teams of stealthy infantry nekos sneak behind enemy lines to make precision strikes. I would like to add more detail on that, because right now there's basically no wiki documentation.

Maybe the SARP definition of sniper can then be leant not to the notion of ranged destruction of targets so much as force multiplier against high value targets?

What Osaka said. Sniper units for Yamatai don't have weapons with truly effective ranges any more appreciable than regular soldiers (even the LASR Mk. II isn't a huge jump). Their big contribution seems to be putting a powerful weapon to use against a single target. That could be a power armor, a vehicle — hell, it could be a starship on the ground.

That sounds kinda neat...

Load a SARP sniper with a weapon that can pierce shields and layers of armor to either take out a critical system or even an engine core...something a torpedo/missile couldn't do because of point-defense systems (or atmosphere) and making for an easier extraction (or fewer sacrifice casualties, if the shooter and spotter can't get out, which is less sacrificed than a strike squadron)...if we can get single-use teleportation (possibly no more than a few hundred kilometers? Say, enough to get outside of an atmosphere, but not completely out of danger?) devices created, that'd be an excellent extraction method and make for some cool stories.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back