• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

So I want to be a Yamataian...

Toshiro

Okay, I want to play a Yamataian, but I don't want to only be 2 years old.

I know I can have my character have been "upgraded" from a Geshrin to a Yamataian in the past, but when did Geshrin come about (I'm guessing arounf YE 01, having been tied to NH-01), and were they upgraded from normal humans in a similar way, or is that not possible? Will my character have to have come from first-generation Geshrins, or humans that were upgraded in their day?

Okay, Yamataians have only been around since YE 27... so, if you were born a Yamatain, you'd be around 2 years old... not 7! ^_^;

There are really two ways to become a Yamataian:
  • Be a Nekovalkyrja whom changed her body type to be able to integrate as a civilian in Yamataian society (as in, the inhabitants of Yamatai or for any colonization project requiring settlers).
  • Be a Geshrin whom upgraded his body type to Yamataian (given that the Yamataian body is really the 2nd generation 'Geshrin' body). This would be considered normal, as most of Yamatai's population are seen as bio-synthetic constructs. Swapping boides is rather easy, in fact, it's been shown that obtaining a new yamataian body is about as mundane a process as getting yourself a new pair of shorts.
The Yamataian is made for civilian life with nekovalkyrja benefits. It's also much better suited for operating on the Ketsurui Fleet Yard Nekovalkyrja warships (commonly used by the Star Army of Yamatai) as many of them have zero-gravity passages with sentient computer systems - the Yamataian's capability for anti-gravity, telepathy and it's computer-like mind interface helps it a good deal there.

Generally, age is a factor based on the actual age of the personality inside the body and not the body itself. Nekovalkyrjas don't really have a childhood and start off with the mentality of a late teenager/young adult; so, them being 'young' (seven years old or less) isn't really that big an issue with the knowledge and mindsets they are provided with. Nekos can be considered as adults around their 4-5 years old and are defenitely mature by 7-8 years old, which is about the time when they can discontinue their military service and get on with their lives however they choose.

Geshrins, aside from their 3 month pregancies, grow like humans. Most of them would probably be in the 18 to 28-ish age range depending on how early they were born... or if they were soul transfered from the original Nepleslian settlers, perhaps older. All could have switched from their original bodies to the Yamataian body.

If you look around, you might see some players still being Geshrins on the account of being sentimentally attached to their bodies, though this is really the exception more than the norm. Yamatai's lack of belief in the afterlife and disdain for religion discourages attachment - attachment to a body might have the emotional import of it being like 'your favorite pencil' rather than a case of: 'This is me and I wouldn't be the same without this body!' Yamatai's amazing amounts of resources, bio-engineering science and capability to duplicate a person's mind makes it so that, in a way, life is cheap.

Nope, it's free and easy. The government wants all Geshrins to make the switch.

They almost always start as adults (transfers) but naturally born ones start as babies and grow up over a year (fairly rapid) and are in sort of teenage form for another year.

Wes said:
They almost always start as adults (transfers) but naturally born ones start as babies and grow up over a year (fairly rapid) and are in sort of teenage form for another year.

What?! Yamataians grow that quickly?!

Wes, if Yamataians are supposed to stand in as the second version of geshrins, this doesn't make sense at all - it litterally screws up the whole concept of raising a familly and sets them to be almost as similar as the nekovalkyrja younglings. I could swallow the 3 months pregnancy, but not this.

I don't know the motives for you setting it like that, but I think it's ridiculous. Yamataian and nekovalkyrjas have similarities, yes, but skipping over the entire childhood is a very significant loss (and royally screws up the concept of familly my character Kotori was hoping to eventually attain when she was older).

For Yukari too!

One year makes sense for a war machine. But we're talking about civilians here, people supposedly more naturally raised and such. One year ... is kind of pointless.

Well, nekos aren't used to the whole childhood thing. How about a compromise? Yamataians can either grow as stated above (intended for nekos and possibly new Yamataians) or at the same rate as a Geshrin (intended for Geshrin upgrades, people who want their kids ot have a long childhood). The setting would be controlled by the mom in the same way the mom can pick hair/eye color, etc.

If the parents can choose, that's enough for me.

(EDIT: It was early and I hadn't eaten. Bite me. *snorts*)

Doshii Jun said:
that's enough more me.
*chuckles*

Whew, okay, panic attack gone - yamataians still have childhoods. The universe is saved.

Okay, now...

Wes, I'm not sure it's all that good an idea to even give the option of accelerated growth. The Yamataians are NH-29A Nekovalkyrjas already have a lot of similarities: the neko is the stronger 'soldier', but no longer overwhelmingly so. The youngling portion of the NH-29 is really one of the things which sets it out.

For the sake of uniqueness, I'd recommend leaving it only as standard growth - or, if you really really need to have accelerated growth, use a x3 multiplier like the way it works for pregnancies. Besides, if yamataians really wanted to have younglings, they'd just need to convert to NH-29 bodies (former nekos, like Yukari, seemed able to do that without too much difficulty).

Some geshrins supported the Yamataian body and the neko converting 'down' to them because it put them on a more equal footing, whereas the NH-29 was KZ's way of promoting their race further. I think we ought to still keep some emphasis on the yamataian desire to still stand as remotely human, while also supporting the alieness of nekovalkyrja.

Well many Neko's seem to be in an etnernal childhood ... an eternal childhood bloodbath I'll grant you, but a childhood none the less.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back