• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Soylent & Food Replacements

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Soylent is a food replacement that attempts to provide all the nutrients a person needs in a single beverage. I've been thinking about various future foods like algae and bugs and things that might be commonplace in the far-future of Star Army and something like Soylent makes a lot of sense, especially as a food replacement for those who don't have a lot of financial means, like the non-working population of Yamatai or perhaps refugee camps, etc, or for people who are too busy to stop, cook/buy and eat traditional food. I could see it being used by military forces as a ration. The closest thing we have so far is the Star Army Emergency Ration Pill. How do you think we should incorporate this idea into SARP?

One idea I had is that there should be vending machines all over Yamatai with "meals in a can." I guess the real-life equivalent would be a Slim-Fast, except that the food replacement shake would be for sustenance, not for weight loss purposes.

I wonder what a good name for the stuff would be. Also I wonder if that's something Emrys would be interested in manufacturing.

I dislike the highly compressed ration pill idea large because I feel it'd just pass through a normal person without really being absorbed. Getting that much material condensed down to a small pill would make it dense as a rock.

Soylent, like Mana, also aren't really marketed at the poor or refugees. It is more of a health-conscious thing or like they said 'food replacement'

Now if you're in an emergency, have refugees, or are dealing with the really destitute you're gonna want some Plumpy Nut. Now we're talking about therapeutic foods for emergency situations and not just healthy food replacements.

But what are the differences between a food replacement like Soylent and a therapeutic food like Plumpy nut? The Therapeutic food is ready to eat out of the package, contains a lot more energy, and is easy to manufacture. As a refugee you may not have a lot of water, containers to prepare food, and you may not know where your next meal is coming from so you're gonna want your Pumpy Nuts over your Soylents.

---

A few years back Yamatai was having a food crisis, and Wazu's solution was Calorie Paste.

This is a Gartagen version of Plumpy Nut, and could be made easily in massive quantities through triggering algae blooms and then harvesting the biomass for processing.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back