• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Spatchula

While this seems to be a very interesting idea, and I commend you for it, I'm not sure about this whole speed difference. Simply put, in a CDD nothing is moving fast, neither space nor the ship, and so I don't really see where the shear is coming from. Could you perhaps explain this in a little more detail?

Where are you getting these ideas?

This thing is just worthless. Not only is it's shape alien, it's use is too. It creates "continuum distortions," please clarify what the hell these are, to ripple space. Which is the jist of the weapon, it makes waves and pushes things away with varying speeds...

... Not only that, but the speed incriment is obsene. Three hundred thousand times the speed of light? In a ripple of space/time?

And if can fire off ten ripples a minute? ...

What do you think would happen if a ship were to find itself with one part in one bubble of space and another part in another bubble of space each moving in seperate directions? In a sense the same inertial inhibiting effect of the basic FTL system is applied to two parts of the ship at the same time, each inhibiting the inertia of the other and pulling the two parts in different directions.

Can I just clarify:

What the weapon does in effect is create a Continuum Distortion Wave which applies a FTL effect to only part of a vessel, and thus does considerable damage?

... Uso, a distortion, inherent moves in a direction, even if it's a radial distiortion, you're not really making it click by saying these things create seperate bubbles over parts of ships and then move is opposite directions, since that makes no sense.

Right, though the only damage that could occur would be on the boundry between the two bubbles of space. That is the reason why it is shaped like a torus. An interesting way of toning up tech and toning down the 'kill everything' type weapons I would think.

Actually I think this is a good idea. It's ineffective against ships that use an interdiction field, or the newer interdiction shields, but is quite dangerous without being 'in a single blast you shall be anihilate ftw!' That it fires every six seconds doesn't sound bad, although why you call them 'rounds' I'm not certain.

Well, rounds per minute seems like a fairly standard unit of measure for speed of fire and technically the shot is round.

One distortion wave every six seconds...

Now, I know you'll rebutt with the "level of technology would be sufficent" song and dance. But that's too high a rate of fire, even compared to that multi-tool POS Toaster you made.

Why is it to high? It's one shot every six seconds, which for these sort of things isn't particularly fast. In fact it's probably comparable to the firing of the old 'Fixed White Beams' which fired a shot lasting 5 seconds ever 15 seconds. And was far more powerful. The same firing rate is maintained by the Projected Aether Beams which is the modern incarnation. The Positron acceleration cannons fire twice every fifteen seconds, which if you think about it reasonably is around once every 7.5 seconds which is pretty much the same as this weapon. And that is a powerful weapon.

The weapon pods fire 5 times a second, but given that they are far weaker I suppose bringing them up serves little purpose. Well I did anyway.

It's fast, I'll give you that. But why would it be too fast?

NOT APPROVED, since you can't "throw" a continuum distortion bubble, so to speak. It'd have to be generated from inside by a ship or something.

HOWEVER, note that you CAN use starship CDD systems for this shearing effect. *ponders a shearing torpedo*

If you created a variety of 'shearing shield' which would aid collisions with other vessels. As such if you ship was designed as effectively a ramming vessel, this effect could allow you to do more damage than even 'the spike' did.

In my way of thinking it's a bit like Saskue and Naruto's special attacks :).

So you can have something exactly like this just not this? -.-

Would it be better if the bubble were extended from the point of projection instead of 'fired'?

Edit: On that note, the weapon has been changed to extend a bubble rather than fire one out. The range of the weapon has been reduced considerably because I think a distortion based system would not beable to extend itself at extreme ranges from the weapon.

Uso, what Wes ment, was this is not needed since a ship can do this on its own.

It doesn't need the device since the device is redundent. Not to mention it's rage, at Five Astronimical Units with the payload moving as three hundred thousand times the speed of light makes it just sick in power scaling.

NOT APPROVED, since you can't "throw" a continuum distortion bubble, so to speak. It'd have to be generated from inside by a ship or something.

HOWEVER, note that you CAN use starship CDD systems for this shearing effect. *ponders a shearing torpedo*

Cora, I have absolutely no idea where you got that... I mean not only is your post outright wrong but it is so far off of what you are claiming to interpret and grammatically wrong that it hurts to read.

The AS-7 Torpedo works on having a small aether generator reach critical mass and flood space with aether for a brief instant. The same sort of torpedoes, with a CDD unit configured to that purpose, could produce a similar shearing effect: this is likely the point Wes was making.

I do not believe extending the bubble that much. Projected energy beams are 'projected' and from there move at 1c. Your weapon may be a tad overpowered it the regard to delivery speed and effective range (I mean, the fastest weapon in the SARP, from what I remember, is the AS-7 at around ~17000c).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back