• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Special Operations and Mercenaries: A few questions.

Raven

Inactive Member
What's the forums view on mercenaries and the work they do?

While I do appreciate the structure of the military setting you all do have, I do have to wonder what happens to the spartan-hearted soldiers who have honestly...lost their way?

In the real world, these men (and a few women) become mercenaries. They live for battle and it's spoils. They are loyal to none but themselves. I wanted to start a colony of some sort for these types, an I do have a backstory in the works. I just wanted to know how people in general felt about these kinds of warriors.

What would it require to start my own little troop. Nothing as big as a company. This would be something left strictly on the platoon level.

Also, do any of the 'legit' forces around here have a special operations unit? I'm a grunt at the very core of my being. True-blue through and through; Infantry, follow-me. I've done my fair share of roleplaying here and there, and I'm most comfortable in the military style setting. So if you could shoot me some info, that would be nice.

Oh, I read the small arms review. There's a lot to choose from. I'm just seeing a lack of explosives and things of that nature. Anyone care to show me anything?

Also, am I free to design my own weapons (i don't believe in godmoding. Only in designing something closely related to the weapons of today for the sake of comfort.)

They're not heard of often but in my eyes, they're very welcome.

Just be sure you get a feel for the RP before you create a character of an independant body.

There are plenty of independent groups and places in SARP, but we still need more. There's Nassau; An independent and law-abiding port controlled by a Oncari Industries, a small-time ship builder. There's Halna and their pirate population, lawless as any place. The Yggdrasil is a ship of salvagers and free people, though their captain has a slight pro-Yamatai government bias. There's also CSEIA, which is a black market research corporation and a private university. They're run by scientists and function mostly as arms dealers. Perhaps take a look at one of those locations/groups before creating your own, it might give you some insight into what galactic politics are right.

However, most nations have no 'elite forces' or need for private militaries, since their own technology is among the best in existence. Only Nepleslia seems to actively use 'G.I. Joe'-style ruff n' stuff infantry forces, but I believe its purely a nationalized army thing with no room for independents. Everyone else seems to use cloak-and-dagger special forces, or starships with mechanized power armor.

I don't think most of the criminal sector will have the money needed for mercenaries, since they have very high upkeep. You may get the occasional mission, but I wouldn't hold out for consistent action. There just doesn't seem to be a market for independent platoon-sized infantry forces, I'm afraid.

And yes, you can submit any item you want. From firearms to robotic arms to sex toys. Whether it gets approved is an entirely different matter, which is left to GMs.

Yes, the Nepleslian Star Army is really the only place to go if you're looking for rough 'n' tough marine action. The Star Army of Yamatai mainly uses Nekos, catgirls, for power armor fighting as well as crewing ships.

As Leutre said, there are plenty of independent plots that mercenaries are usually welcome in. As to starting your own plot and mercenary troupe, you'd have to talk to a moderator about that.

Above all, welcome to Star Army.

Moonman said:
The Star Army of Yamatai mainly uses Nekos, catgirls, for power armor fighting as well as crewing ships.
Try saying that to the crew of the YSS Goban, who were captured by Mishhu. The entire crew is composed of Yamataians and Gershins. (Apparently not 'fit' for combat by Yui standards)

And the ship is generally distrustful of Nekos, because two tried to kill us.

The Star Army does have a few special units, you know. They're typically kept out of the public eye. SAINT ships, for instance, tend to creep around the universe without identification.

The Star Army has, multiple times in the past, hired mercs, too -- usually as semi-disposable thugs for executing politically non-kosher attacks on their enemies.

The Star Army has, multiple times in the past, hired mercs, too -- usually as semi-disposable thugs for executing politically non-kosher attacks on their enemies.

Sounds like my kinda work.

Please don't spam in the questions forum. This forum is for mostly serious discussion of the RP setting. If you want to do this sort of mini-roleplay with one-liners, you should use the Cluster Flux forum.

The Star Army does have a few special units, you know. They're typically kept out of the public eye. SAINT ships, for instance, tend to creep around the universe without identification.

This really, REALLY surprised me to see. It makes sense that any nation hires mercs for black-op-esque cover-ups, but to see SA openly admit to it? Heck, that Star Army needs mercenaries instead of just inciting revolts within worlds by funding terrorist organizations? At least they've earned a slight sparkle for buying/using mercenaries. Good job SAoY.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back