• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Specialized Income

MissingNo

Inactive Member
If a character was working a moderate-salary job (75 KS/hr) at that rate for about five years...40 hrs/week, + 21 hrs OT/week (average)...

75*40= 3000 KS/wk
75*1.5= 112.5 KS OT rate
112.5*21= 2326.5 KS OT pay/wk
2326.5 + 3000 = 5326.5 KS/wk
52 wks/yr * 5326.5 = 276,978 KS/yr
*5 years = 1,384,890 KS over five years.

Cost of living for Nepleslia being approx...

[Monthly Expenses]
300 KS/month (rent)
100 KS/mo. (food)
100 KS/mo. (transportation),

...500*12 = 6000 KS/yr
6000*5 years = 30,000 KS/yr

plus
[Yearly Expences]
27,698 KS (taxes)
1200 KS (vehicle registration, 600 every 6 mo.)
...28,898 KS/yr
28,898* 5 years = 144,490 KS/yr

equals

174,490 KS in expenses over five years.

=====

If Keira was saving up for the last five years of her employment at the highest pay rate (I thought 75 KS/hr for planetary shuttle piloting was reasonable, but I'm guessing I'm shooting low. What's the rate for commercial airplane pilots?) and if she kept a goal of saving up, limiting her expenses, she should have saved about 1,210,400 KS.

Does that sound reasonable? Or should she just be able to buy her ship at an unspecified amount?

And did I put this in the right forum?

That's a shitload of money.

If you're getting salary, you shouldn't be making overtime. Overtime's for hourly employees. Also, 75 KS/hr is incredible -- way beyond "moderate." I might be salaried soon, and I'll be making just $16/hr. That's a lot to me, but seriously, 75 KS is quite a bit. Lawyers do worse than that.

I would think shuttle piloting would be more like taxi driving. According to the internet, the average taxi driver salary is $29,209. Since 1 KS roughly equals a dollar, that puts her 5-year earnings at 146,045 KS, assuming she didn't spend money on things like food, clothing, and shelter. Ships are available for pretty cheap, though. I think 50,000 KS would get something old but decent.

Planet (low-orbit, intercontinental) cargo shuttle, not personnel transportation. More UPS or FedEx air-mail-type deliveries.

Didn't know about the lack of overtime, I'll keep that in mind.

What do you do, Doshii?

*goes to do research*

Also, the goal is a new Traveler-class...are ships really that cheap? Probably put a new Traveler at around 75k, if I use new car/used car costs as an idea.

The name of where you work was somewhat extra information, I just needed to know your title for a comparison.

Ah! That's what I was looking for!

FedEx pilot's pay scale. Also featuring: UPS pilot's pay scale.

Would it be alright if I use one of these? I'd be following the hours promised too (81 hrs/mo. with UPS, 74 hrs/mo. with FedEx).

Using the pay scales for FedEx and UPS pilots is a bit deceiving, as those companies can afford to be picky about who they hire and only accept the best; to back this up they aren't planning on hiring any pilots for the entirety of 2008 (!) and the flight experience that they require from applicants before they'll consider them is a hell of a lot, something you'd only be able to get from a couple of years working another flying job.

Going off what you've described your characters job as, along with Wes' addition, I'd say you'd be aiming more at a mid-sized regional or cargo airline as a first officer (FO), possibly captain in the last year or two; see Horizon Air.

The hours thing could also be deceiving, the numbers suggest to me that it's the time they spend in the cockpit, and doesn't include the other time they spend at work, which they may or may not be paid for depending on their contract. *shrugs*

That's my 2c :)

I think...for sake of time and avoiding getting bogged in detail, that I will just say that she paid half and is going to pay off the rest over time. Whatever that cost may be. And it will take plot-time to pay it off (meaning I will decide when it will be 'paid off' when it seems 'bout right).

So, the result is that I will start Gem out as a character with the standard 3000 KS and go from there. Thanks for your input, guys.

That's an easy, simple solution. I like it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back