• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[species]mianyrian

Gamerofthegame

Inactive Member
A (hopefully) future playable race. I was going to flesh them out in the story post I am doing... But it'll be a cold day in hell if I get around to that.

Anyway.

Mianyrians are natives to the planet Mianyr, space east of Yam'. They are slightly similar to humans, but as a generality humanoid cats.

(( Not Nekos or anything. Actually cats.))

Appearance

Mianyrians appear to be, roughly, various breeds of feline (Although not the common house cat, things like Cheetah, Jaguar, Lions and the like) that walk upright on their two hind legs, in the fashion of humanoids. Their head is that of their humanoid counterparts in positioning, although the rest is just like whatever breed of Feline, from the male Lion's mane to their ears and such. Their hands/paws are opposable, however they are a bit clumsy, but able to move easily in any direction, in angles more then humans. This allows them to still move on their four paws easily, generally moving faster this way then on their feet, which are bigger to provide balance to walk on just their feet. The paws do have claws, and the maximum length of unkept claws is roughly seven inches (17.8 CM), although its almost impossible to keep them this long. Their torsos are naturally slim, their bodily structure a cross between a sort of human being and whatever large feline. They DO have breasts, with varying sizes, although its extremely rare for a Mianyrian to have a breast size bigger then a mid-B cup. They are naturally tall to human standards, the average height of Mianyrian being roughly 6'1" (184ish CM).

Reproduction & Gender

Their reproduction is just like that of a humanoid, two Mianyrians mate and produce a off spring, and the off spring is nursed off a mother's ween milk. It would be noted, however, that Mianyrians are NOT able to impregnate or be impregnated by a non-Mianyrian. They can, however, breed among other Mianyrians, making half breeds among the different breeds, although some are to prideful too. Due to this, things like Half-Cheetahs and Half-Tigers are possible. However, the actual gender of the species is variable. While the women side of the ratio is even, with females being 50%, males are only 25%. She males (For a lack of a better word), those that have a female body but a male reproductive system, come to 20%, with Hermaphrodites (One of the only known species to actually have living Hermaphrodites) coming at 5%. They have the female body and reproductive system with the male tool as well, with one ovary being changed to a testicle. The gender of the parents has no factor for the child's gender.

Culture

Mianyrians, almost creepily so, have a very, VERY similar culture to their Neko/Yam counter parts. It is questionable of the actual origin of the Mianyrians, possibly having been forgotten allies of the Yam empire or whatever was before the empire. Although Yam customs aren't all to closely followed by the Mianyrians, most notably eating in front of people one doesn't know closely. Mianyrians are very pride oriented creatures, some breeds more then others (Most notably lions), and probably one of the stupidest things to do is to hurt or challenge the pride of a Mianyrian of whatever profession, as even the scholars are in some way a warrior/hunter of a sort.

Mianyrians are also Bi-lingual, learning two languages: The native language of Mianyrian & English, a tradition that started a long since forgotten time ago. Although their English isn't necessarily extremely advanced.

It is considered that hunting a animal, most likely a dangerous or hard to catch animal, is a rite of passage from being a child. Now while usually one would eat the hunt sometimes there are exceptions, like with humanoids (Who most Mianyrians find to be dis-tasteful) that they hunt for whatever reason (Usually for revenge or to hunt a criminal) or, for obvious reasons, poisonous or the like animals.

While combat/the hunt is a very important thing to the Mianyrians, it is definitely not the only thing they do unless they are part of the military, but even then they usually have some side profession or main hobby. It ranged from a rather large spectrum, from teachers to janitors, or Scientists to Wood workers. This is mainly to stop a Mianyrian from becoming so engrossed into the hunt that it drives them mad, into killing sprees of various creatures... Even their own kin.

They are tribal creatures as well, staying some what together (Even in cities) via their race, although it isn't unknown, albeit uncommon, for Mianyrians to mix races together, or even to be adopted into other tribes without being mates or such relations.

It also isn't unheard of, but again uncommon, for Mianyrians to have multipul mates, or even being married in groups of people in love with each other. Although they are monogamous, they still stay true to their mate(s).

Their choices of food vary on a wide spectrum, and while they do eat fruit and veggies (Although their teeth make it hard to eat such, and they general have to cut it up.), they also eat rice but definitely not in a large quantity. It is more of a side dish for them, and a very rarely served one at that. Meat, however, is naturally a favorite. Everyone has their distinct tastes, but generally Mianyrians don't really mind if its uncooked or not, some liking one more then the other. Their choice of beverages is a very wide range as well, with some preferring alcohol or juice to simple water. Naturally they have a hard time with their muzzles and drinking from a glass, so they prefers bowls to lap out of, or failing that, straws (Although some would rather die of thirst then use a straw due to embarrassment).

Clothing for them is a mixed opinion. While the general consensus is to cover their various gender specific parts, otherwise its a preference of the person or tribe or general area. As a generality, however, they do not wear shoes or gloves unless it is required for whatever they are doing, their hand and foot structure being to awkward for such things. Plus, their claws, should they accidentally let them out, can do some damage to the shoe/glove/whatever, and, of course, get stuck.

They, for obvious reasons, value felines highly, and it is fairly common for Mianyrians to have a pet house cat or such of sorts. They do not neuter them, and find it almost insulting to anyone who does. They see Nekos in a similar light, although not so much.

General notes

There are a extremely wide variety of different Mianyrians, although the vast majority are Earth felines (And half-breeds) there are also other Non-earth feline based Mianyrians.

They take the attributes of their various breeds, like the cheetah breeds having almost ridiculous speeds and the like. Half-breeds take, basically, dumbed down attributes of their breeds.

They have different blood then Geshrin/Neko/Yam/Whatever elses, and no currently produced cybernetic equipment or the likes has worked on a Mianyrian without s/he dieing shortly after. However, they ARE capable of receiving treatments meant for other races. But the treatments or the like are limited in effectively, and having to much can be more like poison to a Mianyrian then anything else if its not meant for Mianyrians only.

Most breeds of Mianyrians CAN purr, although some breeds do not purr. Half breeds with at least one of their halves' able to purr are also able to purr like most other Mianyrians.

They have excellent cat-like (Pun intended) reflexes and agility, along with general higher strength. They do have dark vision, able to see in the night, although the vision itself comes out as black and white and is limited in range.

Due to their odd body structures they can't just put on any clothing and expect it to fit, especially true with human clothing. Generally they either need very loose clothing or custom made clothing. This is due to body their differently shaped torsos and their general large height. This is especially true with power armors, as they need to be built for Mianyrians for they to be able to fit and operate in them.

Their technology is a dozen years back then the Yam's, but they are familiar with similar systems of the empires, albeit not the more recent ones. They can, of course, learn.

While they aren't exactly part of any empire since recent new discovery, roughly a year ago, they have been allied with the Yams without actually being annexed into their empire. This, however, is mainly just because the Yam Star Empire is closer then other empires. This also may or may not mean that there are the occasional rare Mianyrian in the Star Army.

First time posting here, so I guess I'll put in my thoughts.

I agree with Tomoe that the player is particularly new. I would rather see them actually play a bit, get to know the setting, and stick around a while before I see a race being suggested.

But I'm kinda off on the "no humanoids" restriction. I looked back at the actual discussion for information that constitutes what is "human" and what is "alien". As what was discussed in the previous topic, people prefer more humanoid races when trying to play them.

Which sorta leads into my next question. Just how many people play these new races? The Lorath have garnered some interest, but for the most part I seem races submitted and wither into obscurity because people don't see any reason to play them. With the Species Restriction Act, SAoY really doesn't need any new races. Nepleslia and Elysia doesn't really accept any new races (mostly because they're still in the process of finding their footing before expanding).

Honestly, if people are going to submit races I would expect them to be able to actively push them into the universe. And by push I don't mean violently or forcefully, but OOCly. Whether this involves working with a plot GM to integrate them, or working on creating your own plot.

I guess these thoughts are coming from seeing races created and never used what-so-ever. Which I know I am guilty of once.

These are just standard furries, kind of like the Fenyaro. I have no problem approving them, even if only a few show up ICly. I will want a planet writeup though, unless they're from WAAAAY far away.

I can't say I look favorably on approving this, both on grounds of the player's newness, the race being mainly cats and us already having furries around (the Kohanians).

If the player waits a couple of months while investing himself in the setting and makes another submission, I'll have less opposition given that he'll have had the time to acclimate himself to the setting and think over the ideas for his race- not to mention that would give James the time he'd need to reinclude the Kohanians into play if he can pull it off.

I'm rather opposed to a race which clearly goes against our race submission rules. I mean he even says their culture is freakishly simmilar.

I kind of want to make Star Army more furry-friendly, to gain more roleplayers, though (even if the Nepleslians constantly hunt them down and shoot at them lol). It's kind of like how making Nepleslia a player nation appealed to RPers who didn't care for the neko/anime/japan theme.

Yeah, but let's not try to become RIFTS here.

Pleasing everyone will end up pleasing nobody.

I'd rather that the player established himself before submitting a race. This could easily turn into another (insert random race that was created then abandoned here).

I would agree with Tom and Zakalwe here. I do not think he would be able to gain allot of PC support for the race being so new (since no one knows him). I think it would be best to have in do some rp and then in a month or two when he more settled in and know have him submit the species again for consideration.

Especially when we already have an exceptionally well developed furry race in the form of the Kohanians, or possibly the Seelie (if any of them are still alive).

Gamerofthegame said:
Wes said:
Gamerofthegame said:
Wes said:
Gamerofthegame said:
Should I have posted Mianyrians in the discussion forum or did I put it in the right place? I have confuzzeled myself now...
Well, usually you want to discuss stuff with other players to refine it before submitting for a yes/no approval.

... Hm...

... If its not refined enough, could you move it to discussion? >.>
It already has some comments on it by the tech evaluator team (I see all forums because I'm the admin). The main problem with them that people don't like is that they're close to human and that they're afraid you won't have them appear in character. The other thing is there's no listed/approved planet for them to be from right now.

They are meant to be a player race, so straying to far from the ideas of a human image would probably make it more awkward to RP...

He has a point.

Are we going to stick to our guns on this ruling or not?

We can't make exceptions for one "human-like" race and expect to be faithful to what the community has voted on.

Leutre had an exception for an exceptionally well made one. I'm not sure the Sourcians were the same, but they seemed detailed enough with a clear purpose in mind.

I vote we enforce it this time around, encourage the new member to implicate himself more on the message board and see what happens. If he absolutely must play a furry, we can always turn him James' way and see what the two can work out.

One minor concern about this is the last paragraph. Initially, Pat intended to perform a retcon for them so that the Mianyrians were already integrated into every-day SAoY activities as crewmembers.

However, I eventually had Pat consider the idea of going through a proper first contact and diplomatic event to integrate rather than retconning, citing both the Yamataian laws and part of the community's distaste for retcon.

If this is approved, you may want to have him change the retcon point accordingly.

We can't make exceptions for one "human-like" race and expect to be faithful to what the community has voted on.

Actually, I don't really think you can make any playable races much more exotic than the Freespacers. For example, Freespacers traditionally had a very digitalized society, their use of virtual realities becoming borderline additions. However, many players found the idea too "strange" to play, so generally ended up creating character write ups of characters who were somewhat anti-virtualists.

I imagine anything any less human would encounter a great deal of difficulty attracting players, to the point of it would be mostly an GM/NPC race. While I agree that too many humanoid races is a bad thing ICly, don't forget to factor in the attraction-to-players factor, too. This ban may unintentionally be placing a cap on the creation of any viable new player races.

I imagine anything any less human would encounter a great deal of difficulty attracting players, to the point of it would be mostly an GM/NPC race. While I agree that too many humanoid races is a bad thing ICly, don't forget to factor in the attraction-to-players factor, too. This ban may unintentionally be placing a cap on the creation of any viable new player races.

This point is very true, and I am serious considering lifting the ban is some for, like perhaps allowing new human variants or something.

Regardless of the state of the ban, I think that it should not be approved for the time being due to the newness of the submitter.

Decision people?

I am still voting not approved due to the newness of the author. I think he should wait a month or so and then resubmit it, should he so desire.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back