Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

Implemented Split The Character Namespace

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
Lately I've been thinking that it may be a good idea to split the character namespace. Here's why:
  • Since almost all characters have struct data now, pages can be found using struct-based filters instead of having to rely on folder locations
  • Right now all factional (e.g. Star Army Personnel) schemas are applied to all characters; this is a lot
The proposal:
  • I can migrate characters to factional namespaces like:
    • characters:nepleslia:
    • characters:ndc:
  • Old URLs can be redirected to the new ones so there's no broken links
  • The new namespaces would have only the needed schemas applied
  • Each faction gets its own slightly different character creation form (like the Star Army one fills out Star Army Personnel stuff)
Benefits:
  • Easy to get a count of faction's characters
  • Less struct clutter on all character wiki pages
Costs:
  • I will have to sort the characters
I'd like to know if you guys think this is a good idea.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Scenarios to think about
  1. Changing factions: if struct is the arbiter of factional allegiance, do they stay where they're created?
  2. Are we lumping all "independents" together?
  3. The Origin Question (Clan/Corporate alignment, can sub-factions be significant enough to warrant their own namespace?)

Great questions! My plan is:
  • Independents can just live in characters: (note the s, the character: namespace will be used for unsorted characters)
  • Characters who change faction can be moved by the player or by staff (preferably by me because I'll create a redirect)
  • If the corp has its own struct then it'd maybe be worth giving them a namespace, otherwise the characters stay where they have factional citizenship

This is a good plan it would make it so that new struct/schema can be added for factions tailored to their own needs. Let me know if you need any help when it comes to sorting/moving.

I've started moving some of the Yamataian characters from character: to characters:yamatai but it's going to be a while since there's so many character pages. I have been placing redirects in place for those pages as I go, so that going to the old URL will take you to the new one.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back