• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Resolved Spoiler-tags for the wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like this, considering that there are things I want to put on the wiki that I don't want my players to see just yet - but still want to have it up there so as to set things up.

I waaaaannnnt :3

I don't know. It would go directly against the concept of "god's notes" that we've always applied to the wiki. We already have the Nook and the Faction Planning for notes about things that the average user isn't supposed to see, but the wiki has always been meant as a repository of everything from an OOC perspective, not an IC perspective.

Though, just a kinda sidenote, but spoiler tags wouldn't make it so only certain people could see something, Kyle. Just so that they needed to click a little tab to view it instead. Wouldn't really work at all to keep things from common knowledge, if that's the goal. Spoilers are meant more to conserve space or warn people that there's something they might not want to read.

^ This is what I was suggesting in the first place. Like mouse-over to show like TVTropes or click to reveal like lots of forums are. Not hiding info from players, just making sure they don't spoil themselves.

Actually there is a way to do that, but it requires Admin intervention, and if memory serves. You have to put the content you don't want seen into a unique name space.

Actually there is a way to do that, but it requires Admin intervention, and if memory serves. You have to put the content you don't want seen into a unique name space.

No no, like...You could let us change the color of text, then color-match it to the background of the board. If a user highlights the text, they see the spoiler. It could literally be that simple. Almost like a sort of [REDACTED], you know?

Conversely, it could work like the old BBCode spoiler boxes. A little box says spoiler, you click it and it opens up into the spoilered material. It doesn't really go against the concept of "god's notes" when all it does is prevent players from first-glancing information that they might not want to know for fear of influencing their actions negatively.

FYI the wiki does have a spoiler option in the wrap plugin that's white text on a white background. The code is:

Code:
<WRAP spoiler 100%>
Snape kills Dumbledore
</WRAP>

Maybe I can change these to a different color at some point since it's more for a wiki with a light background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back