• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: SS Kiroshi [SS Kiroshi] Away mission

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
"You know, it's not actually doing anything. Just drifting, no weapons powering up, no engines, nothing. I think it might just be a wreck." Michio sent over the bio-neural interface.

~Alright,~ Ray thought back, ~Lets get a group together and go over there, see what we can get. Micho, get your gear together and meet me in the shuttle bay in five minutes,~ As soon as Ray was finished he disconnected himself from the ship's computer and stood up, heading for the door.

Michio also disconnected himself and sprinted back to his cabin. He breathed deeply and began to get ready for an expedition, strapping on his pistols and power cartridges, as well as the daggers that he'd had the ship create for him. Ready, he went to the shuttle bay.

Ray had stopped by his room to grab his portable computer and an empty backpack before going to the shuttle bay. It took him only a minute to get himself inside the disposable spacesuits they had, which felt and looked more like trash bags with metal rings spaced out every few inches to prevent the suit from just turning into a bubble of plastics. "You know... We don't even know if they have a place where we can enter at..." He told Michio, amazed at his own forgetfulness as he slung the empty backpack onto his back and strapped the portable computer to the white, ruffled plastic of his wrist.

"We can make an entrance." Michio said, putting on the space suit. He was looking forward to this, it had been too long since he'd had any action.

Ray chuckled, "Just don't damage any of their tech." With that he headed toward the small shuttle/escape pod deal that the Kiroshi had. It wasn't the most spectacular ship, and looked more like an elongated cube with an odd mix of fins and rockets strapped, bolted, and welded on.

Michio followed him, pulling on the last bits and pieces of his equipment. He took his place in the shuttle. He began to hum happily.

"Ok bridge... we're ready to get going." Ray said as the bay was depressurised and the outer doors opened. The started to move out of the shuttle bay and began several passes over the ship that they had found. Over the course of the next 20minutes they had not found an entrance or anything else that looked like an entry point, just the long, flowing, metalic skin of the craft. "Ok... looks like your going to get your chance to cut into the thing," Ray said as he matched course and velocity with the hulk.

"Oh good." Michio took a plasma torch out of the case he brought with him. He opened the doors, and stepped onto the ship, and looked for a good spot to begin his cutting.

His suit puffed out like a marshmallow when he entered space as it ratcheted up its own internal pressure to keep him from dieing. Although it would feel like he was wearing lots of balloons over his entire body he was really only wearing one. "Careful not to cut yourself with that thing," Ray said over the intercom.

"I'm not an amateur, I know what I'm doing." Michio knelt down, and began to cut through the hull, interested in what the consistency would be like, "Let's see what your made of." He muttered.

The material he cut into didn't seem to give at all at first. After a few
moments of exposure to the torch the seemingly hard material began to thaw out and crack, small droplets of liquid began to come out of the cracks right before the spot he was cutting imploded inwards, leaving a small cut out circle like shape. Upon closer inspection the hull seemed to be made of nearly 12 centimetre square cells, the only distinction between them being how they felt as the heat from the torch was seemingly contained to only the cell he used it on.

He continued until he was able to lift off a section of the hull. He paused. "Do we have anything to stop the atmosphere from escaping?" He asked over the com system.

"... well that would have been a good thing to have," Ray said, "I'm sure we can jerry-rig something..."

"Can we navigate the shuttle over and use the entrance to cover the whole?" Michio asked

"We'd need something to put around the edges of the airlock door and the connection we make with the ship," Ray said, "actually... there is a fire-extinguisher here filled with a fast hardening foam... stuff... that might work."

"Right, can you navigate with that fancy doo-hicky on your arm?"

"um.... sure. Get back to the airlock and help be guide the shuttle down to the hole your cutting." Ray responded.

"Right." Michio sent himself back to the airlock, and prepared himself to give directions.

Ray started to edge the shuttle closer to the unknown ship.

Michio called out any navigational corrections needed to bring it level with the hole he had been cutting.

Soon, ray had the shuttle pressing against the hole he had started, "Ok, spray the foam into any gaps there may be."

Michio took the fire extinguisher, and filled up all the gaps, making sure that not even a pin hole was left. "Done." He went back to cutting the hull, humming as he did so.

Ray left the cockpit and walked over to the airlock, opening up both doors now that they had an atmosphere to test. Surprisingly enough the seal held and once Michio had finished cutting through the organic hull he found a more metallic structure underneath.

The hull he found below the organic components was smooth, but not flowing. It was a lot more rigid and flat, like a solid plate of metal.

Michio grumbled "It's never as easy as it looks." He wasn't really surprised, and continued cutting.

It wasn't long before he had cut into the metal and exposed support bars, wiring, and below that, a hallway.

Michio lowered himself down, wondering if gravity was working in the ship. He looked around.

He found no artificial gravity inside of the ship, just a hallway filled with debre. The floor, or at least what should have been the floor, was made of what looked like burnt nylon, and on every other surface were metal grates that held back other important wiring and electronics.

"It seems ok." Michio communicated, and moved so Ray could come down. He took out one of his pistols and primed it.

"You know, your going to put someone's eye out with that thing," He said as he followed Michio into the other ship, "Try and find their main reactor. Perhaps we can turn on the gravity or lights... or computers."

"What do you think happened to this place?" Michio asked idly, as he half walked, half floated down the corridor, illuminating his way with a torch he took out from his pack.

Ray took a different path, searching other areas of the ship as he turned on his suit's built in flashlights. "I don't know, looks like the crew abandoned ship," Michio reached a door, which seemed to be the only way to go as the hallway in front of him was blocked off by more of the flowing organic looking hull that he had cut through earlier.

Michio looked around the door for any form of opening mechanism, feeling around the sides. He also kept his eyes out for anything notable among the debris.

He found a handle for which he could use to slide the door open.

Michio was unusual quiet "I've found a door, and am going through it." He
said through the comm-system, thinking they should keep each other informed. He grasped down on the handle, and pushed the door open, standing back and shining the torch at the opening door so it would illuminate whatever was behind it.

The door opened and inside he found a series of computer terminals, each displaying the word, 'hibernate' in red with a red box around it. There was an open area in the centre of the room that had a glass floor which seemed to house a projector of some sort.

"I think I know where the crew went," Ray said, "I found the escape pod area and all of them seem to be jettisoned.

"That's not good. Ray, your the tech guy, you might want to see this. Computer terminals and a projector system. It's pretty weird. They all say 'hibernate'." Michio edged forwards to look at the projector system closer.

The projectors seemed to look like a jumble of lenses and wires held under the glass floor. For the moment they didn't seem to be projecting anything. "Alright, I'm on my way" Ray said.

Michio continued to poke around the room, illuminating every crevice. He was looking for anything of any technological interest, preferably easily detachable.

All of the computer terminals in the room were built into the walls aside from a few hanging from wires that protruded from what looked the be the ceiling. "Well... have you tried using the computers?" Ray asked as he looked at the screens upon entering the room, "There must be some form of power in this ship if the screens are still running.

"Haven't tried it yet. I wouldn't want to accidentally set off the auto destruct." Michio communicated, focusing on the glass floor and trying to see through it.

"What harm can come from pressing a red button on a screen?" Ray asked as he walked over to one of the screens.

"You'd be surprised." Michio muttered. He'd once deleted his teachers work for a year by pressing a red button. He didn't trust them.

Ray shrugged and poked at the screen once, the red 'hibernate' screens switching over to 'startup' printed in green letters with a progress bar displayed below the word, creeping across the screen. Ray started searching for something, "Hey, tell me if you see somewhere I can plug my computer in. Lets have the Kiroshi link up to this thing and start downloading its computer files.

Michio began to look for whatever interface this organic ship used.

He did find a few interface ports he found behind the screens.

"Found some." Michio comm'ed. He was starting to feel uneasy, on this dead ship, and kept glancing around.

Ray walked over, and tried to plug his wrist computer in, "Drat, none of these ports match up with mine..." Before Ray could continue a loud screeching sound came from the hallway just outside of the room. "..." Ray thought

Michio swore, "I knew it", he thought "You can't just have a peaceful away mission, there has to be screeching." He activated his suits light, and pulled out both of his pistols. "What now?" he asked Ray.

"I send you to go see what that was... that's what's now," Ray said as he looked at the door to the room they had just entered as the progress bar neared 25%.

"Oh thanks." Michio floated over to the door, and opened it, ready to face whatever was on the other side, but not looking forward to it.

The organic mass that was blocking the hallway had begun to twitch, and was pushing against a metal support beam. As the beam was pushed and twisted it had begun to contort, as the organic mass shivered again the beam was contorted another meter or so. The contortion made the metal screech again.

"Ok, this could be a problem, the ship is distorting and contracting. The structural integrity is definitely questionable." Michio said quietly, "How's the download?"

"Just found a port for it!" Ray said in triumph as he was distracted from the noise by a connection with the ship's computer, "Kiroshi, download a copy of the information I'm copying to my handheld."

Michio kept a lookout, not trusting this writhing organic.

The organic parts of the ship began to change colour, from a greenish black to a more tan colour. The organic parts of the ship began to expand more, the patch blocking the hallway moving up to the entrance of the door.

"Right, this is really not good." Michio began shooting at the mass with his plasma pistols, "It's trying to consume us!"

The areas hit by the plasma quickly changed from dark green to light tan. "Oh don't be so dramatic..." Ray said as he saw the organic parts start to ooze into the room. "... on second thought it might be a good idea to get going again," With the download complete he scurried out of the room and headed back toward the shuttle.

Michio followed him trailing the mass with his pistols, but not firing anymore, "Didn't you want to salvage some stuff?"

"Well... right now might not be the best time for salvage." ray said.

"So you agree it's trying to kill us?"

"Well... has it attacked you yet?" Ray asked as he floated back towards the shuttle.

"I'm not planning on letting it." Michio thrust his way through the air towards the hole in the roof.

Ray followed behind, entering the shuttle and moving to close the airlock door.

Michio moved to break the foam.

"Get back in, we can use the shuttle's rockets for that," Ray said as he sat down in the captain's chair.

Michio floated into the shuttle and strapped in. He kept his guns on the mass, hoping it wouldn't follow them.

Because he was inside the shuttle, and the doors were closed, there was nothing to shoot. "Like I said, you'll put someone's eyes out with those things," Ray said as he fired up the shuttle's engines. The shuttle broke free of other ship in a spray of foam and organic ship bits.

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get you." Michio muttered, and holstered his guns. "What did you get anyways?"

"Honestly... I have no idea," Ray said, "I made a copy of the data on that ship's computer, we'll know just what's on it when we get back. Maybe there is something worth while."

"Hope so. I don't want to be chased by evil organic goo for nothing." Michio sat back and relaxed.

Ray brought the shuttle back to the landing bay and sat it down.

Michio hit the door release system, and walked out into the bay. Gravity was such a nice return.

Little did they know that the spray of organic material that they had made when pulling away from the other ship had hit the Kiroshi and began to spread across its surface slowly. "Well, I'm going to take a look at what we got, go up to the bridge and see what you can see."

"Make sure that ship doesn't turn into some sort of giant robot or something,"

Michio nodded and returned to the bridge, plugging himself into the bio-neural interface. He didn't trust that ship, and scanned it with every sensor at his disposal. He wanted to see if he could detect that goo that had tried to eat him.

He plugged into the neural interface and found... static. Oddly enough, he was the only person on the bridge.

Michio unplugged himself and swore. "Computer?" he asked vocally. He was getting quite nervous

The computer's speaker system also let out a garbled static sound.

Michio darted around the manual panels, trying to find something that was working.

The manual panels were only displaying static, and all the physical keys didn't seem to be accepting input.

"Right, well I need to find someone." Michio thought, calmer now. He walked to the doors, hoping that their automatic functions hadn't ceased.

The doors opened like normal, leading him out into the hallway

Michio began to walk down the hallway, looking for someone, anyone. He opened the door of every room he came to, glancing inside. His heart was beating fast, and his fingers where twitching, ready to pull the triggers of his guns, which he held in front of him.

No one seemed to be in their rooms, though Ray was wandering in the hallways, "Hey what happened? My wrist computer stopped working,"

"None of the computers are working, computers down, bio-neural's down, consoles down. Everything but the doors are down." Michio said, relieved to see Ray alive.

"Hmmm.... I'm going to head down to the computer core and check things out." Ray said as he walked toward the bridge, going toward the service entrance.

Michio followed him. He couldn't think what else to do.

Ray started poking around the computer system as the hull of the ship continued to be overrun by the goo on the outer hull.

"It's got to be that ship. There's nothing else it can be. Maybe it's got something here, on the ship! Some organism, that goo that tried to eat me maybe!" Michio stated. He always hated goo.

"Well, your on goo patrol then," Ray said as he started looking around inside the mess of wires and bricks of computers that made up the main control system of the ship.

Michio groaned, and left Ray, and began to scout around the ship looking for goo. He made a marked decision for his patrols to take him close to the central weapons, hoping that he might be able to manually control them.

He was unable to find any goo inside of the dimly lit, partially completed ship.

"Wait, the shuttles computer might not be tampered with." Michio headed towards the shuttle bay, hoping to use the shuttle to do ... something, anything really.

He found the shuttle right where he left it, but goo seeping in from the shuttle bay doors.

Michio swore profusely and in a stream. Running into the shuttle, he brought out the plasma torch, and began to use it on the goo.

The goo started to come off in chunks, segments dieing out as they were exposed to the torch only to have more of it come inside than was destroyed

Michio, dived into the shuttle, and engaged the engines, hoping that the heath expelled would kill the goo.

Various rockets fired on the shuttle and it ended up banging into the shuttle bay door, its drive systems spewing flames in almost every direction, burning away the goo in the process.

Michio was thinking fast. He quickly put on his suit, and prepared to take the shuttle out, with some good piloting he should be able to kill all of the goo, or at least slow their growth down. When he was ready he hit the button to open the doors.

The doors opened, but outside was a wall of fleshing goo.

"Should have seen that coming." Michio muttered, he turned the shuttle around, and switched on the engines again.

The shuttle flew forward and impacted against the insides of the Kiroshi, implanting itself inside of a storage room through a hallway.

"Why don't I think things through?" Michio thought violently. He checked to see if the shuttle had any shield systems.

The shuttle had little more than a repulsar field used to navigate the debrie fields that had been used as raw materials to build the Kiroshi.

"Damn." Michio swore, a growing swarm of evil (he decided they where evil), and tried to turn the shuttle around by rushed navigation of its controls.

Various thrusters on the shuttle fired and soon it dislodged itself from the hole he had made in the wall. He was once again floating around in the shuttle bay even though he had done a good job at blowing away some of the hallways with the compressed gasses of his shuttle.

"Why is it that I seem to break things even when I'm not meant to?" Micio muttered, and tried to open a communication with Ray "Ray?"

The odd Ooze that was trying to get in apparently was succeeding now as the material started to eat away at the inside of the ship until it reached the electronics system of the ship. At which point the entirety of the ship's power shut down and the Ooze stopped moving.

"Oh dear, I'm doomed." Michio muttered simply, and tried to activate the shuttles lights, given that the ships lights where most likely down. He didn't like being in the dark.

The shuttle's lights came on and bathed the docking bay with light. The Ooze seemed to have stopped growing but it had opened a gaping hole in one wall where there was now a protrusion of cords.

Michio was torn, should he try and make his own escape, now as the goo was motionless, or go and try and find Ray. "Gods damn morality." Michio cursed, and searched for a torch.

He was able to find a small cluster of emergency gear under the seat. In addition to patches for the hull he was able to find a flashlight with an adjustable top.

Michio stepped carefully out of the shuttle and shone the torch at the wall of goo, edging towards to exposed cables. He would check for Ray, right now he was sating something far more important. His curiosity.

As he got closer he found that the goo had eaten into the ship's wall in a neat circular hole, leaving the edges perfectly smooth, and the components underneath untouched aside from the cables. Each was cable was wrapped in a colourful rubber except for where the Goo had touched it. The casing of the wires were stripped off and the goo was saturating the insides and the outsides of the exposed parts. Of course he couldn't tell if there was anything flowing through the cables now but with the ship's power out it was unlikely that anything was.

"That is so not good in so many different ways it is not even approaching the vicinity of being funny." Michio murmured quickly to himself. Out of interest he went to find a stick like object to poke the goo with, stress made him act like that.

Inside the shuttle bay there was a small tool kit which had been left there by some careless individual. Inside was a blowtorch and fuel for the device as well as various tools such as screwdrivers and sealant sprays.

Michio took the blowtorch and applied it to part of the goo, and poked another part, "What the hell am I doing?" He suddenly asked himself, and ran off with his torch looking for Ray.

The shuttle had caved in the door to the shuttle bay however he had made a large enough hole to where that wasn't a problem. Inside of the Kiroshi the hallways were completely dark. Ray was wandering around in the hallways with a flashlight in his hand looking for other people.

"Hey Ray, we have a situation here no? Well if you class a ship with no power being eaten by slime as a situation. You feel like getting out of here? The shuttle is working." Michio communicated in whatever way possible, speakers, radio, crude sign language if needed.

"Well, there are still people onboard, and I'm not a big fan of abandoning ship." Ray said over the suit's radio system. Although the halls still had air in them the helmets they wore muffled their voices.

"What do you suggest then? Got some tech up your sleeve to stave off an evil blob?" Michio said, strangely calm.

"...shovels?" He guessed.

"A wonderful idea, resorting to the best that humanity has to offer." Michio responded sarcastically, "Unless Shovels stands for some uber-weapon, we need more options."

"...Super... Harmonic...Oscillating... Vectored Energy Laser System?" Ray tried to look serious..... but, "Ok so we need more options then. What else is out here?"

"Firstly, nice. Secondly ... random experimentation on a sample of goo to see if they are vulnerable to anything?" Michio laughed, humour was good, goo was bad.

"The goo is on our ship? Well... that explains some things. I thought you meant how were we going to get it off that other ship. Perhaps we should try and get to a drydock or something first." He said.

"If we had power, that would be a wonderful idea. If we did we could seal ourselves in a section of the ship, and drop into hyperspace, I doubt the goo could survive that." Michio said thoughtfully.,

"Its just hyperspace, if its on our hull I doubt our transit would get all of them off." Ray said

"It would be a start." Michio wondered about all that infinite energy that Hyperspace taps used, he'd have thought that would have had some effect.

"Well lets try getting power back online then." Ray said.

"And how do you suggest we do that? I saw the goo doing something nasty with the electronics, might be using it as a source of energy." Michio had seen far too many cheap films, he was thinking of many, many nasty possibilities. At least this wasn't anime and he hadn't seen any tentacles.

"What did you see it do?" Ray asked.

"Uhm ... the wires had been stripped and they where all flowing over it, filling it as far as I could see. Spreading I'd guess." Michio thought back to the wires, "And of course there is the wall of living matter blocking the shuttle bay, but that's less important I suppose."

"Ya, that sounds like something I'd consider bad." Ray said, sidestepping Michio and heading toward the shuttle bay. "Well, I guess I should go and see this."

Michio shrugged as best he could, "I'll follow you then, being separated would make this a little too much like a cliché horror flick. My life's like that enough with ought exasipation."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back