• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

ST Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsakanOne

Retired Member
Fairly important to where my plot is next set to go...

0) What are the implicit laws surrounding ST Technology? Where can it be acquired? What are the illegal uses like?

1) How long does it take to make a backup and to restore a backup?

2) Can/do backups over-write existing data? Can they supplement existing data?

3) Can sectors of the backup be edited or cleared?

4) Can the data be copied? How big is it? How is it stored?

5) What are the limitations regarding backup restoration in terms of age, gender, race, brain-damage and modification?

6) What is the equipment like regarding ST? Size, maintenance, cost, technical knowledge required to operate it...

7) Can the backups be restored to degrade - to expire after a set duration of time, leaving no evidence?

8) Can multiple backups exist in parallel together within the same body? Can devices be made which restore or over-ride existing behavior within a given neural network - like a low-quality flash copy of a mind on a chip?

OsakanOne said:
Fairly important to where my plot is next set to go...

0) What are the implicit laws surrounding ST Technology? Where can it be acquired? What are the illegal uses like?

I don't know how you acquire it ... I thought it was illegal to just have. Only the government (on Yamatai, at least) has rights to it. But you cannot use it to make multiple copies of the same person, and you cannot overwrite a person's soul without their consent, i.e. replacing a body that already has a soul with another person's soul.

2) Can/do backups over-write existing data? Can they supplement existing data?
Yes and no. Backups could overwrite data if the computer's forced to do it, but I've never heard of that happening. I don't know if they can supplement data.

At one point there was talk of backing up NH-29S Kotori's soul using raw data instead of the proprietary "soul" format, but I believe when discussed in-canon it was decided that it wouldn't be nearly as clean and effective.

3) Can sectors of the backup be edited or cleared?
No idea on this one. I've never heard of that. But it is kind of a data file, so maybe?

4) Can the data be copied? How big is it? How is it stored?
The data can be copied, but it probably takes a quantum computer to do it (see NH-29S Kotori above). How big it is, or how it's stored, I don't know, other than to say somewhere in the quantum computer.

5) What are the limitations regarding backup restoration in terms of age, gender, race, brain-damage and modification?
I don't think there are any ... it can transfer Geshrin and Nepleslians, so it can probably transfer anyone. But there's no record of races outside the primary four ever getting one, so who knows?

6) What is the equipment like regarding ST? Size, maintenance, cost, technical knowledge required to operate it...
Size on the Miharu is basically the size of the inside of a mecha's control center, and then the helmet. Don't know about maintenance, as one's never had to be fixed, and cost has never been an issue, either. A medic usually runs the machine, so that could illuminate how complex it is to run, but technicians could also do it, I think.

7) Can the backups be restored to degrade - to expire after a set duration of time, leaving no evidence?
I don't think so. There's no evidence that suggests that's possible.

8) Can multiple backups exist in parallel together within the same body? Can devices be made which restore or over-ride existing behavior within a given neural network - like a low-quality flash copy of a mind on a chip?
The first question I think is a definite no, but we've never had that happen before, to my knowledge. As to the second ... maybe? But again, no evidence to back that claim up.

Some of your questions can be answered between these two pages:

Memory Backup Protection Act

Key items

With regards to editing a mental backup

d) Tampers with stored mental data,

…shall be punished by being put to death and have all copies of their mental backups (if existing) erased.

2) The Yamatai Star Empire (or agencies thereof) shall keep backup centers in all cities with a population of 5,000 or more.

So for now it appears to be government controlled, no private access to the technology.

Currently the process seems to be an all or nothing with regards to restoring.

Type 30 Mental Transfer and Backup Unit

As for Time for making backups and that an existing backup can be updated:

Making a complete backup can take between 15 and 30 minutes depending upon the age of the individual. Updating an existing backup usually takes approximately 10 minutes.

Alright. Thanks for that.

I now have further questions:

Is there existing equipment that can simulate the platform a mind would need in order to execute in simulation - and furthermore, to interrupt an existing neural construct?

Ideally something quite portable.

Simulate the platform a mind would need ... in order to execute in simulation? I don't understand.

Well, here's my two cents. Backups aren't run or compiled by a computer other than the mind itself. I'd bet that they're only designed to be able to be run by the brain. That said I have no doubt that SAINT has access to tech that can look through the backup's memories as needed. That being said I really don't think you can do what you're talking about normally. I'm pretty sure that when a mind is in it's backup state it is just data. Much like a file without a program to run/open it.

For the very reason that you can't have a second copy of the person living, the mind can't be 'ran' as a living being.

Of course, if it did exist it would also be extremely tightly regulated, perhaps most likely used in the Mass Production facilities where nekovalkyrja are created. Perhaps as a part of the personality pre-screen process to check for any errors before it is downloaded into a body.

Well, on Miharu, we've had references of dated backup information.

For example, Tom Freeman had a ST backup of him in Miharu's databanks shortly after the ship's launch before the Battle of Taiie, then just prior to the raid on the Meng Po, then just before the crew prepared for the Bowhordia mission.

If Tom happens to die, the people handling the revival sequence for him could pick up any of the four log entries, as needed. Usually, the most recent one is picked up.

Kotori made an habit of making sure every new person on-board the ship reported to medical to have their ST backups done before mission briefings. If something untoward happened during the operation she had the option of respawning them mostly ignorant of the ship's current mission... thus allowing her to reassign them without worry of them spreading that information if she proved unwilling to have the individual still serve on her ship.

0) ST Technology is found in Yamatai and in the SMN territories. It is very difficult (but not impossible) to acquire. Your best bet is a shady salvage company like Second Chance. I believe the relevant laws have already been posted.

1) Typically less than 30 minutes.

2) Backups can overwrite existing data (this is murder) or supplement it. In the past, Yamatai has "merged" multiple minds into one (Yui did this once).

3) Generally ST data is stored as in a secure "container" that cannot be altered. Think hashes for program downloads. An ST machine could optionally store data in an unsecure format for easy editing, but this is not how the normal Mental Backup machine works.

4) ST Data can be copied like a normal file. It's big, but in Star Army, storage is bigger.

5) There are no limits caused by any of these things.

6) See the example of a mental backup machine listed above.

7) Backups do not degrade, but the storage unit could, I suppose.

8) One mind per brain only. That said, a Neko-style OS has the capacity to partition itself and that could be used for multiple identities.

What's the SMN? I think it might be Nepleslia :/ Anyway, I want to check and make sure this is accurate but I believe the UOC also has a limited amount of ST machines. These however aren't used for the same reason as YSE stuff and solely perform body transfers from Nekovalkyrja to Yamataian body types. I'd imagine if/when a 'natural' body type is ever developed and put into play they'd also be there to help transition folks to that as well.

Right. Breaking this up:

Sfrarabla Mishhuvurthyar Xhrafuklurp - SMX, the Mishhuvurthyar's main space military, before YE 31.

Sfrarabla Mishhuvurthyar Nougpift - SMN, basically the Mishhuvurthyar nation present in our local region of space. You can perceive it as one of the domains the Dark Ones hold (domain is the literal translation of 'Nougpift').

Back to topic, now?

Uso said:
Soresu said:
SMX is the Mishhuvurthyar.

SMN is the Star Military of Nepleslia.

No, SMN (and SMX) is Mishhuvurthyar.

What's this? "About the Star Military of Nepleslia"

~~~~

There are I believe some alternatives to ST. Less well known, but some are out there. How well perfected they are I am uncertain on however, so I'd ask the developers, or read any articles you find on the subject for confirmation. Examples being, Lorath Neural Backups, and I'm sketchy...but the 'Spacers have something too related to their more robotic forms.

If you read the article you'll find the acronym is SMoDIN (Star Military of the Democratic Imperium of Nepleslia).

Uso said:
If you read the article you'll find the acronym is SMoDIN

If you read the link I posted. What did it also say, Uso? "Star Military of Nepleslia." Stop trying to argue and move on. This is about ST, not acronyms. We've gotten off the beaten road enough already.

The title of the article is: Star Military of the Democratic Imperium of Nepleslia

and the two acronyms used on the page are DION and SMDION.

The starmap even lists Nepleslia as Dempcratic Imperium of Nepleslia (DION) and SMN (for the mishhu) right next to it.

So yes, you are wrong about this Soresu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back