Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Standard Units for SARP Wiki Articles

In order to save our readers the trouble of translating units of time and measurements in their heads, and to keep the wiki consistent, and to make it easier for struct to do its job (for listing events and so forth) we've decided that we should be using certain units as standard:
  • Always provide the YE year of events - it's okay to also use local years too but we need the Yamataian calendar year next to it. This is a new policy.
  • Always provide metric measurements for object dimensions and mass (preferably US measurements too as as appropriate but never just the US ones). This policy has been in place for years.
  • Provide the cost in KS in addition to local prices (the product guide needs this to sort properly). This is a recent policy.

Provide the cost in KS in addition to local prices (the product guide needs this to sort properly). This is a recent policy.
Personally, I don't see much of a purpose for this one. The only times I can ever remember the price of an object being legitimately debated were for large-scale items such as starships and space stations. The individual currency/possessions of characters is, for most players, semi-handwaved - typically said characters would deliberately act more thrifty if the player wants them to be tight on money, for example.

For international-trade products, I can see having the KS listed, but that would be more of a strong recommendation than a requirement or rule - especially if there are companies or nations that don't sell internationally.

I do like the requirement for YE listings, though - regardless of what the RP says about a nation, if you have no idea what is going on then it's a colossal pain in the butt to actually engage with them.

For technical reasons, products only appear on the list of products if they have a price in KS of at least 1 KS in their struct data. If the pages don't have a price in KS, it's hard to put that data there. We want all products to appear on the list of products so we need their price in KS.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back