• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission Star Army Fabric Spray, Type 38

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I dunno, this seems kinda like a step backwards for Yamataian technology, considering the nodal system can effectively make something from nothing, it'd be much easier on the supply chain just to use existing nodal fabrication equipment to make clothing, as opposed to bothering to heft crates of spray-clothes to locations unknown, or even taking up important space on spacecraft.

If anything, for Yamataian military usage, I'd recommend a reusable cloth-printing device which would use task-specific nodal fabrication devices. Pre-programmed nodal devices would be used, allowing for security to be maintained if the devices are used in secure environments, pre-programmed meaning, the nodal devices in the printer would only be able to manufacture a select range of textiles, in a select range of patterns.

For this spray-cloth tech, I would perhaps recommend it be put into circulation by a corporate entity, or even one of the government aligned corporations that exist within the Empire, for civilian use. If anything, due to it being quite reasonable for humanitarian usage, it could be a good idea just to churn the things out. Humanitarian usage seems the most reasonable choice, by the way, since refugees, disaster victims, and other folks on hard-times would be the only folks in the Empire without access to the infinite resources which the Empire has to offer.

The thing is, you can take a spray can with you, but you can't take a starship fabrication room with you. I think this will come in handy for the characters in my plot.

I can see problems using it for prisoners. You spray them into a one piece body suit. But for them remove it, means they need to have access to cutting tools. Don't know if want prisoners to have those.

Plus there is no mention on elasticity. So getting in and out of it would be problematic, especaily pulling a shirt over the head

The concept of spray cloth could be used, but I would not recommend spraying on the body. It would be easy enough for have some basic forms that you could spray the material on.

And well, for any most species besides the Nekos, body hair is going to make this a painful experience to use.

You wouldn't normally need scissors to remove it. Have you watched the videos of it?

You can see how it comes off at about 1:24 (Technically NSFW for brief nipples)

It's true that this should probably not be used on furred species.

Needs more detail.

Can you patch clothes with it? Wounds? Is the stuff reactive with material it touches, or is it just what it says on the can?

How do you create warm winter gloves with it, when most gloves have a liner material, or are specially designed fabrics?

How does it react to fire? Rain? What's the actual fabric produced? You left a lot of the information out that's made more clear on the company's website.

From what I saw of the video they don't seem to be durable. And any body hair becomes instant Brazilian.

I think that could be handwaved to some extent by "futuristic supermaterials" just like a lot of other stuff is. If we can create starship armor grade cloth materials, I'm sure we can create slightly sturdier than cotton spray ons.

perhaps the threads only stick to themselves and not to anything else?

Alternatively the spray could also be used for waxing.

Article updated.

I didn't see a mention of wounds or bandages. Is that meant to be assumed with the mentions of "it produces a cotton-like material"?

Added "For external use only" to warn those thinking of trying to fill wounds with this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back