• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Star Army Ground Vehicles

Dude, wheels? Wheels are ineffective in land based combat. You want a good looking tank, you should model one after the Stridsvagn 103, or S-Tank.

s-tank.jpg

Um, Cora... this one is a 'Fighting Transport Vehicle'. It's an APC with teeth, not a full fledged battle tank.

Kotori said:
Um, Cora... this one is a 'Fighting Transport Vehicle'. It's an APC with teeth, not a full fledged battle tank.
Not only that, it is designed with urban movement in mind. Your statement about wheels being ineffective is also false.

The S-Tank is cool looking, though.

You did not just suggest modeling something on a FRENCH tank?

A tank with no turret?

A tank that requires the entire body be turned to aim?

A tank thats biggest asset is the ability to burrow into a hull down position on its own when hull down positions now make tanks sitting ducks due to modern anti-tank rounds?

A tank with no co-axil machine gun?

... A French tank!

Uso Tasuki said:
A tank with no turret?

... So, doesn't that make it a mobile anti-tank?

And don't diss the French, Zack. That... tank would've kicked butt in the American Revolution.

I am Canadian, so by that merit alone, I'm part french. (My mother's also an acadian decendent, so it just furthers it) AQnd I don't care about it's "Drawbacks" since they can be remadies with upgrades, like adding a co-axil gun.

And besides, even with it's drawbacks, the S-Tank just looks cool.

That's the older turret with the smoke launchers, 50mm mortar, 105mm cannon, and coax machine gun. The vehicle can mount a few other turrets, too, like energy weapon systems, water cannon (fire-fighting), or a missile launcher.

A few things:

The S-Tank sucked and was SWISS, the french have a mixed pool of M1 abrams and chalenger2 MBT but rely more on their light takes in combat.

Second, Wheeled vechicals are a lot better than tracks because Tank tracks have to be replace constantly and have a tentency to break when shot at. For instance: a Chalenger 2 (or and abrams which has a little bit less armour) can be pumbled all day by RPG fire and it probally won't peirce the crew compartment, but that fire WILL blow off the tracks of the tank with a single close hit. The entire time my brother was in Iraq for it hated the tanks and bradlys because of all the repair and matainace it needed but he loved the stryers which are wheeled.

And another thing about the french. Their Government might not be up to war that much but their army is a very strong force to contend with.

Power armor unit logo (Dragon with LASR)
1155751852457.png

Rifle I'm working on
1155751832977.png

Starfighter
1155751959824.png

Turretless tanks (or tank destroyers) seems more like a Nepleslian concept than Star Army. While they can generally mount bigger cannons for a cheaper price due to the lack of a turret, they also have a much poorer combat response time, since you have to move the whole tank rather than turn a turret. This makes them extremely vulnerable to infantry (let alone armour suits) or any sort of flanking tactics. In short, they're powerful, clumsy, and cheap. Definitely Nepleslian.

I'd imagine Star Army vehicles to be more high speed and high mobility, especially because they have pilots with enhanced reaction times (Neko's computer interface, genetic enhancements, ect). So wheeled vehicles would probably be the more logical choice. Though with the power and speed of armor pilots, tanks are pretty much obsolete. Unless you plan on making them super heavy mobile fortresses mounting starship-grade armour, their sluggishness will make them fodder for armour suits and therefore useless. The only exception being special roles that armour suits can't fill, like anti-structure or anti-starship bombardment, mobile supply depots, and so on.

I see a few visual niggles with the fighter (the lack of control surfaces and similarities to the SwordFish) but other than that, I'd love to take a shot at fleshing her out.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back