• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission Star Ship Shield Container

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Starship shield container
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:shieldcontainerye38

Faction: Wazu
FM Approved Yet? Yes
Faction requires art? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? Yes,
Previously Submitted? Yes, as part of : https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:shieldcontainerye38

Notes: The amount of shielding provided by the container should be listed as part of whatever ship or structure uses the container rather than here on the container itself. This is mainly because the ship using the container has a shield SP of 25, yet has space for mounting 6 containers. This would mean each container has an SP of 6.25 which is an ugly number to have on the submission itself but it can be added in if you guys think that will make this a better submission.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If this shield container is produced for an audience wider than your plot — and it seems generic enough that it could be — it throws the entire DR system out of whack.

Like you said, the C5 has 25 SP of shields by using six of these containers. But that means having 20 containers wouldn't produce any "better" a shield, just a more split one. And it doesn't address the final barrier's threshold, let alone how multiple containers factors into that.

I don't want to disapprove the concept, because I think it's got potential. But how you have it work now is incompatible with the DR system we have now (and the potential future system doesn't like it either).

My belief is that only one container should be on at any given time, and that it can generate the field that would protect the vessel. If you want to have others to turn on, do so to restore your shields instead of trying to bring the old container back to life. Almost like shield projector-capacitor units with limited lifespans; once a container's field is defeated, just bring up the next container as fast as you can to restore your shield.

There is the potential for OP there, as you could really outfit your ship for whatever circumstances, but I'd like to see the container's shielding be only so good and a predictable time it takes to rev up the next container. Not to mention that once you're out of containers, you're permanently out of shields protection.

Like other shield articles the SP isn't included in the article itself, but rather with the ship.

In the case of the C5, it would be the 6 containers collectively generating one SP25 shield with a fixed shield threshold of 4/0 (all rear points moved forward, as there are no containers on the rear of the ship). Damage would be applied against the ship's shield value rather than against a single container's shield value. I feel that putting an SP rating on the containers themselves would lead to people just using them as disposable SP that could be turned on at will.

Naturally this is the only way it can be, as I think the rule is still in place regarding not being allowed to cheese the SP system by having two shield systems.

I don't see your submission as a "technology," which is what I would call the subjects of your linked articles.

Instead, I peg your submission as a standalone unit, seen here, here, kinda here, definitely here -- you get the idea.

So no, your calculations are wrong, and yes, I see them as being able to be used in the manner I described, not yours.

Answer my questions, please.

Those last include a structure, and a series of flying drones.

This submission would be either the shield generator of the structure, or the shield generator that the drones carry.

There is already a line in the article about how the shield can't just be turned on, and has to be part of a larger system, which is certainly something that I could expand but you don't seem to be giving me a way forward here. If we go by what you are asking for then there can't be separate shield generators because people would be able to abuse them in the manner you described.

I also may be missing something, but I did do a Ctrl+F and it doesn't seem like you are asking any questions.

My belief is that only one container should be on at any given time, and that it can generate the field that would protect the vessel. If you want to have others to turn on, do so to restore your shields instead of trying to bring the old container back to life. Almost like shield projector-capacitor units with limited lifespans; once a container's field is defeated, just bring up the next container as fast as you can to restore your shield.

There is the potential for OP there, as you could really outfit your ship for whatever circumstances, but I'd like to see the container's shielding be only so good and a predictable time it takes to rev up the next container. Not to mention that once you're out of containers, you're permanently out of shields protection.
Make this happen. That's your way forward. Make them like this, and it's approved.

Do anything else and it's rejected.

an SP value for the container has been added, and a spreadsheet for containers/shield SP/Threshold has been added.

This is not what I stated needed to happen. I'm aware of the potential for abuse under what I described, but I put that as the way this should work for the setting.

Is this the way you want this to be?

The SP values for containers, and then adding individual shield SP values as you suggested goes so far as to make this unintentionally game breaking. As it is your suggestions would make cargo ships have 200-300 additional SP just from their cargo.

Adding in a spreadsheet for SP values as containers are added to the system is the least abusable way I can think of doing this but still a terrible thing to include because it opens the door to someone putting 20 of these on something and having 2 sets of SP 50 shields.

I still think the best solution is to have this be a tech article, and have the shield values go through the approval process when these containers are used on ships or ground facilities. This way no new mechanics are added (massing disposable shield SP), and you can't really fudge the shield numbers by stacking multiple pre-approved items with a known shield value.

---

But, I'm meeting you half way here. This should address your concerns, even though I personally think it is not the way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back