• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Star systems, planets, installations and you

Eistheid

Retired Member
Inactive Member
First of all I'm going to tag: @Wes, @Koenig808, @DocTomoe, @Aendri, @Nashoba, @Kyle
You are the FMs that I can think of and this is potentially important to you. I would tag GMs as well but I'm not as familiar with who is running what so you'll have to forgive me.

Some thought has gone into the nature of recent events, and instead of complaining, falling into resigned acceptance, or ignoring it I have decided to make a proposition:

We set up guidelines to help determine who can use what.

SARP exists as a collaborative writing setting, to this end we need places for events to happen, and people to make them happen. Our goal as a whole should be to promote the opportunity for people to step up as GMs and get stories going. This is something that is unfortunately impossible if it turns out that X location is unavailable and it is not known before hand.

I understand that there is stress for FMs when a GM or player wants to use a location that they might have an investment in. However, if the FM doesn't have any plans in the near future for a location there should be some leniency in what is allowed to occur with an asset assuming it won't prove crippling to the faction (ie; knocking out a major facility like... Central shipyards), after all most of the large factions can reclaim, restore, and rebuild most assets with minimal effort so even if a plot results in temporary loss of an asset it can be replaced.

To facilitate communication and avoid wasted effort, I suggest that core factional assets are clearly marked. These are things that FMs must be consulted on beforehand before they can even be considered for use. Examples might include say... Major population centres on Yamatai, Nepleslia, or Lor. The hearts of a faction's culture. Others might include fleet resources, major shipyards, training facilities, etc. Basically anything that is going to have a huge impact on the faction.

Further more, a prospective GM should be encouraged to start a thread as soon as they get an idea of a location, to see if anyone in the community is presently using an asset, and to check if the usage of an asset is going to cause anyone problems.

For example, if for some reason I wanted to burn Tami to the ground again, I would put up a thread asking Yamatai's FM if they're planning on doing anything with Tami, while also checking if there are any critical assets to be made aware of. Further this would give a chance for GMs or Players to chime in and mention that they're either using Tami, or are planning to.

At this point it could be discussed if the two plans could be combined. After all a GM involved with an asset might be interested in the events proposed and might want to work it into their plot. This could be done via PM to avoid spoiling plot for players.

If no major complaints are brought up, that is to say there is no widely impacting harm from the proposition. It gets the green light, and the GM can go ahead with planning out their scenario and the IC results can be dealt with when the plot wraps up.

Alternatively should something major happen in the plot, there should be the opportunity for an FM or GM to suggest that outside intervention may occur. After all it is unrealistic to believe that with how networked the factions are, that a military isn't going to get wind of a coup, or major destruction of assets.

In this event I would propose that the GM currently running the plot have precedent over outside interests. If a GM does not feel that having the cavalry show up would benefit their plot they should be allowed to wrap up their story. At this point they can be consulted to see what they had in mind for the after effects of the event, and should there be no further plans for the locale, another GM, or the FM can step in and respond to the event. After all we don't exist in a vacuum. Actions have consequences and so forth.

This allows the telling of a story with high stakes, or tension which will allow for more stories and better opportunity for us as writers to create events that will be remembered going forward. On the other hand it also makes it clear that if something happens within an FM's faction, that they can respond to it and correct it as their faction would see fit while avoiding the issue of disrupting a plot and alienating players and GM who has put in hours/days/weeks/months/years of work to make a story happen.

I suppose at its simplest I'm proposing some form of structure to encourage communication between the people on the site to avoid issues of conflicting interests so that we can write more, and better stories while cutting down on the infighting and drama which hurts the community.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

That sounds reasonable to me. Clarifying which planets/assets aren't touchable without specific permission is reasonable enough to me, and it's easy enough to check the GM forum periodically for GM requests to use assets anyway. I think the big thing is just making sure that people are actually asking before they start making plans to use something, and I know that's something that came up during the FM rights discussion as something several GMs disliked the idea of.

Well the reason I didn't suggest the use of the GM forum is that new GMs won't have the capacity to post there since they don't have GM status yet. Which cripples potential new GMs which is one of the resources we need.

Secondly... Asking to use a setting asset like a star system, planet, or space installation while potentially tedious is going to avoid a lot of headaches in the future. After all it doesn't make sense for a plotship to jump into a planet that is presently burning and visit the mall. Unless you ask, you can't avoid that sort of scenario.

The current system that's in place is GMs are required their plan plans in the GM forum, and the FM can look at those and object if needed. Plans to use a system could also be posted in the OOC forum (in the form of an interest check). And with or without access to the GM forum, the person using or building on a factional article or a planet that belongs to a faction should be asking the relevant FM for permission to use that part of their faction. The system works when people follow it.

For the record, nothing I have done on the site so far was ever initiated until I got responses to questions from relevant groups involved. Wes is a big case in point where I'm constantly pestering him about all the old stuff on the wiki location wise, and as a result some great ideas got out the gate with little drama. That's always been my policy for everything, SARP or not.

One of the things I love is having to dig into our site history and I especially love it when locations, including star systems, build a real history, becoming a place where many plots have visited and left their own marks and history on them, so it's been a real pleasure helping you research your plot ideas, PaladinRPG. Feel free to continue asking me about Yamatai stuff whenever you want. That goes for you @paladinrpg and everyone else.

I was just going through the Nepleslian Star Navy....and wondering just what concurs in this matter as "notable damage". I am seeing large swaths of standing by resources and situations where if everyone really is by FTL standards only hours away how we're not overcrowding the space lanes by military vessels alone. This is just me considering any military-lined plots that are not squadron in scale.

It's true that military forces have always been pretty large. In what context do you mean "notable damage?" I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I was wondering in the sake of taking on said militaries. If it is difficult for example for a player to take on a ship (and needing to support them) if the npcs or pcs just call these reserves up, I'm surprised pirate bases would even exist.

I'd imagine that pirate fleets would be of equivalent size or larger, if they ever bothered to unite under one banner- attacking their bases constantly would only serve to unite them together or set up base beyond their territory, both which would cause massive problems.

Layman's Terms: Destroying all their bases would make them ORGANIZE and UNITE, or spread out so far it'd be impossible to predict and fight.

Pirate bases are a very bad thing in this setting. Super sensors, really high FTL speeds, and gigantor militaries mean that pirate bases are WAY too easy to find and annihilate. It's a way better idea to go roving. Maybe a mobile space station, but even that would be stretching it just because it would be so much slower than any of the ships trying to kill it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back