• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission Starship Combat Guide Update

FrostJaeger

Banned Member
  • Submission Type: Article Update
  • Submission URL: Linky
  • Original Article URL: Linky
  • Faction: N/A
  • FM Approved Yet: No, @Wes
  • Faction requires art? Nope.
  • Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Nope.
  • Contains Links to Unapproved Articles? Nope.
  • Contains New Art? Nope.
  • Previously Submitted? Nope.
  • Changelog: Linky
A minor update that reflects what I recall @Wes saying in chat and elsewhere on the forums.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think we should probably start from the ground up and ask the community what they want starship combat in Star Army to be like, and make the rules from there.

[...]

Understood, and I agree wholeheartedly. With that in mind, I've update the Engagement Range Guidelines section to read...

The Engagement Range Guidelines section said:
==== Engagement Range Guidelines ====
//Note: This section primarily applies to gun-based starship weapons in the setting, such as railguns, plasma weapons, laser weapons, autocannons, antimatter weapons, mass drivers, etc.//

^ Light-Seconds ^ Kilometers((Values have been rounded for ease of calculation. 1 light-second = 299,792.458 kilometers.
)) ^ Notes ^
| 0.033 | 10,000 | For gameplay purposes, any light-speed weapon less than this far away is considered to hit instantly. |
| 0.100 | 30,000 | |
| 0.250 | 75,000 | |
| 0.500 | 150,000 | |
| 0.750 | 225,000 | |
| 1.000 | 300,000 | This is the furthest any ship can reliably hit one another most of the time with light-speed weapons.((For scale, the distance from the earth to the moon on average is 1.2825 light-seconds.)) |
| 1.500 | 450,000 | |
| 2.000 | 600,000 | At this range, misses are more common. (25% chance to miss) |
| 2.500 | 750,000 | (50% chance to hit) |
| 3.000 | 900,000 | Maximum engagement range for light-speed weapons. Accurate shots are rare. (25% chance to hit)((A few weapons in the setting - such as Aether Shock Arrays - have longer maximum engagement ranges.)) |

...and the FTL Combat section to read:

The FTL Combat section said:
==== FTL Combat ====
* Combat while at FTL speeds is not possible in the setting.
* There are no FTL weapons in the setting, apart from FTL torpedoes.(("Torpedo" in this instance is referring to any starship-grade missile-based weapon system, such as missiles, rockets, torpedoes, etc.))
* These torpedoes can use FTL to enter an area but must make their attack runs at STL speeds.
* FTL torpedoes cannot utilize their FTL drives inside a sun's Hill Sphere.
* FTL torpedoes have a maximum FTL velocity of 12c (~3,600,000 kilometers/second or ~2,200,000 miles/second).

Let's check it, then. I'll just be here to make a list of differences...

Edit: List of Differnces.
  • Subspace Detonations added
  • Engagement Range Guidelines had a note changed. Equivalent value calculation removed
  • FTL Combat re-organized
  • In general, more wiki-fied article with links to examples and better notations.
Seems pretty good, though I'd like to hear more.

Also shouldn't the note in Engagement Range Guidelines be in the footnotes?

Last edited:
I moved a lot of things to abandoned but tried to post in the thread when I did. Maybe this slipped through my fingers or someone else did?

RIGHT TIME TO DO THIS.
This review is for: Place submission title here

The submitted article is/has…
[ YES ] A very high level of overall quality
[ YES ] A general topic sentence under the title header

[ N/A ] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)\\
[ YES ] Needed and/or useful to the setting
  1. Simple clarifications that may be necessary.
[ YES ] In the proper format/template
[ YES ] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[ YES ] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)

[ YES ] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
  1. Basically was the Wikification update.
[ YES ] No red and/or broken links
[ YES ] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[ YES ] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[ NO ] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
  1. 12c FTL missiles seems a little slow, actually.
[ NO ] Obtusely redundant
[ NO ] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments

[ PENDING ] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
  1. IIRC, unapproved by SMs still @Wes @Fred
[ NO ] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[ NO ] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[ NO ] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[ NO ] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[ NO ] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[ NO ] Lacking Detail
[ NO ] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[ YES ] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
  1. I mean, missiles are far below FTL speed caps.
[ YES ] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[ N/A ] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[ N/A ] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Suggestion: Write the 2c range miss chance as "75% chance to hit."

Notes
Nothing.

I intend to finish this review by: 12/14/2017
-Update 1: Color Coding

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this thread. However, being Staff does not equate being a Setting Manager. I can't help you on this one.

I've read over the article.

I'm not overly fond of the "chances to miss" displayed in the engagement range window. It feels needlessly gamey. The important information that needs to be conveyed there is that the longer your delay-to-impact is, the less likely you are of being able to strike a moving target since said target will have a better chance to evade or counter the incoming attack.

That's the only thing I find wrong with the article. I'd like to know if there could be a proposed fix to it. If not, I can approve it as is (as I seem to recall what take exception on dates to the previous version of the article).

There is probably a proposed fix, @Fred - and it's one that I'll start working on as part of a mini-update - but given that this was first submitted in August, would you mind approving it as is, please? I implemented the suggestion @META_mahn made in this post.

I'm curious; why was a speed limit placed on FTL torpedoes, and why this specific number? It was never an issue before. What's your reasoning behind it?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back