• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Structure Points vs. Damage Rating for Defensive Systems

Vesper

Inactive Member
As the title says, I have noticed that people (both mods and submitters) are using SP, DR, or both to codify the capabilities of defensive systems (armor, hull, shields, etc.). It was my understanding of the damage and defense rating system page that DR was no longer applicable in any way to (i.e. it has not meaning listed under) defensive systems, which should all be using a SP rating to classify their defensive capability relative to other defensive and weapons systems.

Is this correct, or does the above page need to be modified (though it seems pretty clear to me)?

Please comment on this as I would like to have it resolved as we go on.

It's just that some people mix the two up on occasion, but I don't see why the current version of that article should be redacted. With the possible exception of putting SP and DR in bold, or including a boldtext line that makes the distinction more evident.

Drop some anvils if people aren't getting the difference properly, or not recognizing mistakes with terminology.

I don't think their is a serious problem with the acronym. Like many things in the English language it is context sensitive. I can see were some issues could arise from confusing the two, they can be easily resolved by asking for clarification. SP as applies to vehicles/ships/PA doesn't come up a whole lot outside of discussions on or articles about the previous items.

Neither is Town Portals.

However unless people here use STP to a common degree, StP wouldn't have much of a problem.

I'm not a big fan on the Mishu so heck what I know you people use to refer to those things.

I'm pretty sure that the contextual use of the acronym SP will be just fine.

We don't have starships armored up in 28 Single Posts, or with 40 Single Post-rated shields.

Vesper, you are correct. DR is for offense, SP (Structure points/shield points) is for defense.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back