• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Sub-Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Site Supporters, FMs, and GMs may now create sub-accounts if they want to post under another username. For example, if you ran a XYZ Megacorp in the RP, you could create an account named XYZ Megacorp and use it for your posts about your new products.

You can see your sub accounts here: https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/index.php?account/sub-accounts

Well you took care of the one worry I had about this, which was people abusing it to hide who they were. But since it's limited to GMs FMs and site supporters it's not likely we'll get people trolling with it or such so that's good. But yeah I can see this really being of use to company owners and faction managers over the communication topics.

This is a test. Curious how the selection goes. Unfortunately adding Avatar's doesn't appear to be part of the profile page.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the policy regarding companies with multiple people running it, such as Origin?

What is the policy regarding companies with multiple people running it, such as Origin?
The account should be attached to whoever the main manager is.

...okay, I have to say, I'm finding this new feature to have the problem of being extremely annoying. It's like getting over in IRC and not knowing who is who because people decided to change their nicks. I'd like to be able, when reading a post, to know who is posting behind it.

I wonder if it would be possible to add some wording beneath the sub-accounts name when posting that way there people will know 'who' it is (for example, if I was to post as Takeyu, there would be something like an 'AKA - Kyle'

You should be able to use the custom title field for that, I think.

I set the usergroups of sub-accounts to be inherited from the parent account.

If I can know who's behind "the mask", I have no problem with this subaccount thing.

It seems like different subaccounts will offer the chance to use different avatar. I see potential in this just on the level of portrayal - for example, Wes could post as Himiko, Yui and Hanako with the picture alone giving a pretty good idea of that. Doshii Jun could post as Yukari or Yuumi in the same fashion, etc...

...though I don't think it's that good an idea to implement because the extra actions will likely involve more than a little human error (i.e.: Doshii would end up posting for Yuumi with the Yukari avatar/subaccount), because people can be distracted and/or just forget because they're trying to enter a post through a short window of opportunity.

Yes Wes that can be done easily. Look at my post from Emry. The Custome title says Nashoba

I'm seeing a lack of names behind the latest masks.

Also, Mishhu? What if someone else needs to play Mishhu.

Honestly, I'm growing ever more persuaded this is actually more bad than good.

Also, Mishhu? What if someone else needs to play Mishhu.
They'll just post under their normal username like they always have.

Also, the Mishhu account above is 5 years old. I created it in 2010.

Honestly, I'm growing ever more persuaded this is actually more bad than good.
I'm with Fred. I do not support this and will not use it for any Nepleslian entity that I am responsible for.

Placing a sub-account for a corporation under a user allows for large problems. What if the original user is no longer able to be part of SARP? GMs and FMs change. I may be responsible for NAM but I'm not the first person in charge of NAM. What happens if I step down?

I do not even understand what the rationale is for allowing site-supporters to do this. GMs and FMs, fine. I see the reasons even if I think the execution is poorly done. Not so for site supporters.

Last edited:

Sigma has a point, things do change overtime. Unless sub-accounts can be given to others, but that would incure another responsibility to the indivisual and they may end up forgetting.

I can easily assign them to others if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…