• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Task Force Phantom Prologue II] Phantom's Warriors

Re: [Prologue II] Phantom's Warriors

Wild said:
Hello, Kurotsuki Takeshi-Santô-Hei. There is currently a drill in progress. Enemy boarders have gotten into the Docking Port. Ushimo-Hei has just had me activate some of the systems. Once the ramp drops, you will be required to take part in the drill.

With that, the shuttle came to life. All it would take was the press of a button to get out.

-------------

"Sakamura-Hei and Whatever-your-name-is --" Arkase was interrupted.

"Miyoshi-Hei." Makoto said.

"Right. Sakamura-Hei and Miyoshi-Hei, you're with me. Nashiro-Hei, stay here and give us some covering fire. I'm bringing you back a patient." With that, Arkase hefted his Plasma Rifle to come to bear on his front.

"Miyoshi-Hei, take point. We'll be going to that far shuttle first."

"Understood. Are there any friendly forces nearby? And if so who are they lead by?"
With those words Takeshi moved towards the shuttles ramp trying to position him-self out of sight and making sure that no-one else would be in sight when the ramp dropped. With a last look around he pushed the button that would lower the ramp. As soon as he could see anything through the narrow opening that appeared when the ramp was going down he was searching for a place that could provide cover.

"Hai, understood," replied Sakaki as she dialed down her pistol to nonlethal and made her way to the entrance. With her right hand holding the NSP she used her left to activate the ramp to the shuttle and made her way slowly down the ramp.

I must be careful, for anyone here may consider me as 'enemy'

The Shuttle doors opened, and met the deck floor with a clang.

The firefight had reached a fever-pitch as the boarders fired from their cover at the pinned, unarmored technicians that had only minutes before been working the docking port.

The Boarders were four Mindy power armours, with an Anti-Infantry loadout, holding Plasma Rifles and putting them to good use against the hapless technicians.

Across the port, Sakaki could see a group of Mindy Power Armours with Anti-Armour loadouts and a mixture of Aether Beam-Saber Rifles and LASR's at the larger entrance. They appeared to be readying to bolt into the Docking Port, and once they entered the field of battle would be able to cut like a knife through most any opposition within the port.

"Roger that, sir!" Miyoshi started off ahead carefully towards the next covered position, got ready, checked those behind him and bolted forward, his head low and weapon ready. He hoped to remain unnoticed, but that was very unlikely. Instead, he moved from cover to cover, providing covering fire to the rest of the group, allowing them to advance.
The noise, heat and flashing lights got his adrenaline pumping, but Miyoshi kept his pace, until they reached a position just before the target shuttle.

Miyoshi was met with a hail of fire from the enemy Power Armour. Plasma ripped at the deck around him, and several dozen NSB Drones attacked the squad.

Miyoshi was hit by a stream of plasma fire, and thrust down unto the deck with a crash. He slid a couple of yards by the force of the blow, and found himself next to the shuttle at the stop.

--------

The rest of the squad rushed to catch up with Miyoshi, and then suddenly broke apart as the fire came down on them.

Arkase brought his shield up, and moved forward to join Miyoshi, firing one-handed (and inaccurately) with his plasma rifle in the boarders' general direction.

Sakamura ducked behind a stack of crates that seemed the worse for wear. Still, it was better than no cover at all.

-------

Sakaki was greeted by the site of the battle, the ramp coming down just in time to reveal a sliding Power Armor coming to rest behind the shuttle bulkhead on her right side.

It was just a great day for a drill, it seemed.

Ushimo-hei ducked back inside the shuttle when she saw the armor and kept a low profile. She kept her weapon ready in case the armor was an enemy.

"Friendly moving up." With those words Takeshi moved close to the black haired neko that had just taken cover in the shuttle again. He had his weapon out and set to non-lethal for the purpose of the drill. He looked at the neko for a short moment before his eyes looked past her, trying to see what happened out-side of the shuttle. Then he looked back towards Sakaki, his face was calm and showed no sign of stress at this point, just determination.
"How is it looking out there?"

Miyoshi cursed inside his armor. His screen had filled with bright red, angry flashing letters: MALFUNCTION. His Armor locked up, and he wouldn't be able to move inside. His only hope would be to get out of the Armor and fight without it.

----------

Arkase made it to the shuttle, lowering his shield once behind cover.

"I am Oshiro Arkase - Heisho. I am in command. Ushimo Sakaki and Kurotsuki Takeshi, right? Consider this an evaluation. Welcome to Task Force Phantom."

He then turned to look at Sakamura, still hiding behind some crates. "First thing is first: We need to draw some fire to ease up the pressure on our friends. One of you take the Beam-Saber Rifle from Miyoshi-Hei's Armor and go around the back of the shuttle. Find some cover and flush them out with your fire. I don't care if the other stays with me or helps the one with the Saber-Rifle. Just get it done! We have to finish them off quick."

Sakaki didn't answer Takashi since she didn't know where what part of the simulation she was in, that is until the Heisho came up. "Hai, Oshiro-Heisho," the black haired Neko answered, "Here, you can have this," she handed her NSP to Takashi, then kept low while picking up the beam rifle.

Like an old friend, so is the weapon of a warrior, she thought since it has been a long time since she was in her Mindy back on the Senbu.

She didn't have much time though due to the incoming fire and all. Returning fire, she ducked next to some crates as simulated fire blasted all around it.

He took a firm hold of Sakaki's NSP with a nod and with a quick look after her he took a deep breath. Apart from the drill's during training this was his first major drill so it was best to keep calm.

"Understood Oshiro - Heisho." With those words he looked back at Oshiro and took a low stance before taking up a new position with the shuttle as cover.

I would have been more comfortable with a rifle, but lets see what we can do, he thought while making ready to fire at the boarders. While crouched and exposing as little of himself as possible he fired a heavy blast, from the NSP in his left hand, aimed at the head of one of the boarders. Even if it didn't hit the area he had aimed for he hoped the grenade like blast would stun or at least make one or two show more of themselves, so the others could get a couple of hits on them.

Sakaki's fire was mostly wild, but the few shots that landed were harsh blows against the boarders.

One armor, its armshields already weakened from the fighting bore a saber-blast through the chest and promptly fell backward with a scream. NSP and Plasma fire scored into their ranks, tearing at shields, armor, and cover in a vicious frenzy of flame. Another Boarder fell down never to get up.

The Boarders then began moving, sending their remaining drones at Sakaki to cover their retreat as they fled to a dark, brooding corner where the crates were stacked high. The first leaped onto the first layer of crates, ducking inside a small hollow for cover. The second and final one limped behind the entire stack and practically collapsed behind them.

Arkase and Sakamura turned their fire against the drones assaulting Sakaki. "Kurotsuki-Hei, go give them something to think about!" Arkase barked, gesturing to some crates in front of the enemy position.

"Heisho." Was all he said before moving towards the crates that Oshiro had gestured at. As long as he could stay in cover he didn't fire at the enemy but as soon as he had to move unprotected he fired at the enemies position. He fired a couple of shots towards the drones attacking Sakaki when he could. The last few feet he dove into a roll coming to a stop with his back against the crates. His puls had gone up and the adrenaline was flowing which only helped him focus on the task at hand.

Now that he had cover he was ready. Looking out from the side of the cover and keeping a low stance he fired towards the enemies. Not just blasting away at them, but trying to make every shot count. That was how he had been training, not to waste shots but to make them all count. He could of course not make them all hit but he tried his best.

Every now and then Sakaki was leaning out to fire a shot then ducking back, though she did notice Takashi move to new cover. Time to find new cover myself, if I could make it over there, I could possibly take that one out, she thought tactically.

After firing another shot, she dashed over to her right for another group of boxes and then after another shot, dashed into a second group of boxes ahead of her. The black haired Neko then set her gun on top of the boxes like if it was a mounted gun to help steady her aim, and began firing bursts of energy at any enemy that might be exposing itself.

Sakaki was lucky -- the last drone fell the moment she began to move. As she made her way through cover, and at last to her final position, the last two boarders became more aggressive.

It didn't serve them well.

The Mindy atop the crates was taken by Takeshi's NSP fire. The first shot to land struck him in the leg, forcing him to his knees with the jolt. The next shots struck him with factory precision: Three in the chest, one in the exposed shoulder, and another in the arm holding the plasma rifle. The boarder toppled, and sprawled onto the ground either dead or unconscious.

The hurt boarder, hiding behind the same stack of crates, was hit -- from their positions, Sakaki and Takeshi could not see -- and fell behind the crates and out of sight.

------------

Sakamura and Arkase joined Takeshi at the crates in front of the boarders' position.

"Wait for it. Sakamura-Hei, deploy your drones and see if the enemy is eliminated."

"Hai." She said, ordering her drones to fly out toward the cornered crates.

"Kurotsuki-Hei, Tachibana-Taii told me that you prefer the Sniper Rifle. Is this true?" Arkase asked.

To Sakaki, he beckoned with his hand to come over to their position.

"That is most definitely true Oshiro, Heisho." Came the answer from Takeshi while he kept his eyes on the downed enemy. Then he turned away and sat down with his back against the crates, NSP's put on safety. He looked at Oshiro with a determined look in his eyes, still having the adrenaline flowing through his veins.

"I was one of the top scoring marksmen in my class during training, they found my abilites suited for providing long range support." Takeshi could remember all the practice and how the members of the marksmen group had been pushed to the limits. Not only in mastering the art of fire a rifle at great distances from the target but in so many other things. This times had been both painful and a time of joy for him, because he had felt that this was where he had belonged. He took a couple of deep breaths trying to calm down before continuing. "I hope to prove my worth as a member of the army with these skills. I might not be the best at close combat but I will not let anyone down."

Sakaki slowly walked back to the commander, enough so that Takashi could finish. "I am Ittô Hei Ushimo Sakaki," the Neko stated with a respectful bow, "I proudly specialize in close combat, though as time moves on I have been graced to learn new things. As a warrior, one must learn to use any and all weapon to fight the threats that face home." The rifle in her hand dropped as her left moved to feel the hilt of her sword.

She then glanced at the other two, giving them a nod to their skill during the drill.

"Well, then I suppose you and Tachibana-Taii will get along well. From what I gather, he knows his way around the sword as well." Arkase said to Sakaki.

"And you, Kurotsuki-Hei, I have plans for you. I'm permanently assigning you a Light Armour Sniper Rifle, to go along with whatever other weapon you are assigned for missions. With or without Power Armor."

The Drones came back unharmed, and flew into their hangars within Sakamura's armor. "It's cleared, Oshiro-Heisho. The target is dead."

The red hue given from the klaxon lights vanished, and the ship returned to normal. "Well, then. Now that that is over with, head down to the Power Armour Bay. Talk to each other and get to know each other while you're picking out your own PA's. One Mindy, and one Daisy each. It's your baby and you'll need to take care of it yourselves -- Techs are stretched thin for now."

Arkase stood. "As for me, I have to speak with the Taii. Direct any questions you have at Sakamura-Hei or Misaka-Hei." Then Arkase left the hangar.

(OOC Note: Wrap this up with some social interaction and the next topic will be up soon for Mission 1.)

As soon as Arkase mentioned his name Takeshi stod up in attention looking at the senior officer speaking. When the assigning of the rifle was mentioned a smile spread across his face along a spark in his eyes.Now this is more like it. The smile disappered but the light in his eyes did not. He would be caring for the rifle as much as the PA's because for him they would represent his personal pride and honor.

"A wise decision Heisho. And I will not let you down." With those words he relaxed and with a fluid motion put on of the NPS's back into it's holster. Slowly he switched the grip of the second one so he was holding it's barrel. Holding it out towards Sakaki with the handle pointed at her.
"Thanks for lending me your side-arm Ittô-Hei. It's in excellent condition." He said with a smile.

Sakaki bowed as her commander left the hanger, The Heisho seems interesting and knowledgeable, I hope I can learn from him. she thought while watching him leave. She then turned to Takashi, "I only wished it served you well," Sakaki replied with respect, lightly taking her NSP back and placing it in her holster.

"I hope we can learn from each other and become better warriors for the missions ahead."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back