• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

TED: Gabe Barcia-Colombo: My DNA vending machine

T

TEDTalks

Here's another interesting video from TED.
Vending machines generally offer up sodas, candy bars and chips. Not so for the one created by TED Fellow Gabe Barcia-Colombo. This artist has dreamed up a DNA Vending Machine, which dispenses extracted human DNA, packaged in a vial along with a collectible photo of the person who gave it. It’s charming and quirky, but points out larger ethical issues that will arise as access to biotechnology increases.afeeds_feedburner_com__r_TedtalksHD__4_xb83eMAlCxA_.gif

See the video

1. What are your thoughts on this?

2. How can we relate this to the Star Army universe?

Wow! I'm glad I looked at this because this one is very relevant to Star Army.

On the real-world side, I was like, well, what would you use DNA for? Thought I guess it's sort of a collectable. I mean, there was certainly some people I wouldn't mind having because they look so pretty or awesome, but it's lot like I have the resources to clone them or anything. It might be cool to say, "Hey, this is a vial of Patrick Stewart's DNA!" if you're a Star Trek fan. But also creepy. DNA is more personal than, say, a photo. It's beyond just a person and also includes their family, their health. Also, imagine if someone bought DNA and then placed it at a crime scene as a red herring!

But in SARP, bits of useful DNA could be sold. Yamataians are made to be able to update their DNA with downloadable packages, allowing for customization, and while I never thought about delivering it through a vending-machine format, its seems like it would fit perfectly through the vending-machine-saturated Japanese anime culture that Yamatai draws upon. It's also very transhuman. Imagine that cosmetic features like eye color changes, animal ears, and tails might be popular. These type of vending machines could also be marketed to humans for things like weight loss via DNA that helps metabolisms. Perhaps in the world of Star Army, human immortality (in the form of aging prevention) is simply a walk to the corner vending machine.

"Yes, I would like blue eyes, and an amazing metabolism please... No... No I don't mind destroying my heretige biologically. All cool by me"

Honestly though, this is a pretty good idea and the Vekimen could serious use it. They need more DNA, or the DNA they have to be unocked!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back