Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Tell me about your computer.

What do you use most often to browse SARP

• Desktop

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Laptop

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Tablet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phone

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Telegraph

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

miss_story

Inactive Member
I was trying to find a desk that will fit my old beast, and when I was peeling through articles ads and forums. I sort of found myself wondering what you fine folks use. I figured we might have an interesting array of devices and setups (being a sci fi rp site ), and considering the wide range of backgrounds and age ranges we have here. Some people might be using a tablet or just their phone too. I tried searching around the Starlight lounge, so I thought maybe I could try creating a thread on the topic.

I'll go first:
I built my first computer back in 2013 after my old dell laptop had finally reached the end of its life. It was tough saving enough money for the components I wanted, but it was worth it because this thing still out performs my new asus laptop that I bought for portability once I was done school and had more money around for such things.

The case is a coolermaster HAF xb. I chose it because it was a unique shape, and there was lots of opportunity for me to mess around with paint.
ai448.photobucket.com_albums_qq208_PyreDND_Photos_2013_06_21_2023.13.15.jpg ai448.photobucket.com_albums_qq208_PyreDND_Photos_2013_06_21_2023.07.52.jpg
This is my computer back in 2013 mid assembly, the Graphics card wasn't installed at that point. It was a pretty tight squeeze with the CPU radiator at the front like that. I also din't have my cable management perfect. that has to be one of my weaker areas.

Details on build
Case: Coolermaster HAF XB
Motherboard: Asus z87 Deluxe (This thing has a stupid amount of usb ports at the back and a built in little magnetic wifi antenna)
Power Supply: Corsair HX750 (750 Watt Power supply)
DVD Drive: A cheap Asus Dvd burner that was on sale at the time
Processors
CPU: intel i7-4770K
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 (by IceQ)
Memory
RAM: 4x4GB Sticks of Corsair Vengence
HDD: 1TB Western Digital drive for storage and the millions of games I have installed
SSD: 128 gb solid state SSD from OCZ (For operating system and certain installed programs only)
Cooling
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Fans: A trio of 120mm fans Two on the radiator and a third pushing air out the back of the case.

ai448.photobucket.com_albums_qq208_PyreDND_Photos_WP_20160123_12_55_33_Pro_LI_202.jpg

I've let some cosmetic dust build up over time, but ever so often I do clean the beast so airflow isn't affected. This thing doesn't fit on my little baby desk at home, so its sort of a pain to use it. I have to sit off to the side on my bed with my keyboard and book for my mousepad. When I move into the house I'm renting I hope I can encourage using my neglected beast by actually getting something suitable to support my computer that doesn't require me to pile a million blankets up as a makeshift chair.

I look forward to hearing from you guys and gals.

^__^

TLDR: Nicole has nothing to do at work so she's rambling about computers

I use an Alienware 15 R2 (2015) laptop.

Here's the specs of mine:
  • i7-4710HQ
  • 16GB RAM
  • GTX 980M 4GB
  • 250 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HD
  • 3840 x 2160 Touchscreen
  • Windows 10

I used an HP Desktop that my room mate gave me when my old custom PC died.

I use a custom PC I built back in 2012 that's kind of like my pride and joy still. Current specs are:
  • i7-3820 Quad Core
  • 32GB RAM
  • 3GB AMD Raedeon 7950
  • 2TB Hard drive
  • Windows 8 (Still waiting on switching to 10)
  • 1 DVD/Blu-Ray drive
  • 1600x900 Widescreen Acer Monitor

RPG-D RPGfix
Back