• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Tell me about your computer.

What do you use most often to browse SARP

• Desktop

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Laptop

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Tablet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phone

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Telegraph

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

miss_story

I was trying to find a desk that will fit my old beast, and when I was peeling through articles ads and forums. I sort of found myself wondering what you fine folks use. I figured we might have an interesting array of devices and setups (being a sci fi rp site ), and considering the wide range of backgrounds and age ranges we have here. Some people might be using a tablet or just their phone too. I tried searching around the Starlight lounge, so I thought maybe I could try creating a thread on the topic.

I'll go first:
I built my first computer back in 2013 after my old dell laptop had finally reached the end of its life. It was tough saving enough money for the components I wanted, but it was worth it because this thing still out performs my new asus laptop that I bought for portability once I was done school and had more money around for such things.

The case is a coolermaster HAF xb. I chose it because it was a unique shape, and there was lots of opportunity for me to mess around with paint.
ai448.photobucket.com_albums_qq208_PyreDND_Photos_2013_06_21_2023.13.15.jpg ai448.photobucket.com_albums_qq208_PyreDND_Photos_2013_06_21_2023.07.52.jpg
This is my computer back in 2013 mid assembly, the Graphics card wasn't installed at that point. It was a pretty tight squeeze with the CPU radiator at the front like that. I also din't have my cable management perfect. that has to be one of my weaker areas.

Details on build
Case: Coolermaster HAF XB
Motherboard: Asus z87 Deluxe (This thing has a stupid amount of usb ports at the back and a built in little magnetic wifi antenna)
Power Supply: Corsair HX750 (750 Watt Power supply)
DVD Drive: A cheap Asus Dvd burner that was on sale at the time
Processors
CPU: intel i7-4770K
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 (by IceQ)
Memory
RAM: 4x4GB Sticks of Corsair Vengence
HDD: 1TB Western Digital drive for storage and the millions of games I have installed
SSD: 128 gb solid state SSD from OCZ (For operating system and certain installed programs only)
Cooling
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Fans: A trio of 120mm fans Two on the radiator and a third pushing air out the back of the case.

ai448.photobucket.com_albums_qq208_PyreDND_Photos_WP_20160123_12_55_33_Pro_LI_202.jpg

I've let some cosmetic dust build up over time, but ever so often I do clean the beast so airflow isn't affected. This thing doesn't fit on my little baby desk at home, so its sort of a pain to use it. I have to sit off to the side on my bed with my keyboard and book for my mousepad. When I move into the house I'm renting I hope I can encourage using my neglected beast by actually getting something suitable to support my computer that doesn't require me to pile a million blankets up as a makeshift chair.

I look forward to hearing from you guys and gals.

^__^

TLDR: Nicole has nothing to do at work so she's rambling about computers

I use an Alienware 15 R2 (2015) laptop.

Here's the specs of mine:
  • i7-4710HQ
  • 16GB RAM
  • GTX 980M 4GB
  • 250 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HD
  • 3840 x 2160 Touchscreen
  • Windows 10

I used an HP Desktop that my room mate gave me when my old custom PC died.

I use a custom PC I built back in 2012 that's kind of like my pride and joy still. Current specs are:
  • i7-3820 Quad Core
  • 32GB RAM
  • 3GB AMD Raedeon 7950
  • 2TB Hard drive
  • Windows 8 (Still waiting on switching to 10)
  • 1 DVD/Blu-Ray drive
  • 1600x900 Widescreen Acer Monitor

RPG-D RPGfix
Back