Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

The Cult of War

Strangelove

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Religious and Cultural
Submission URL: The Cult of War

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? (Not a faction?)

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Nope
Previously Submitted? Nope

Notes:

I've always been saying that if SARP's setting is lacking in one thing, it's religiousness. This started as a part of the background info for a character I was planning. One paragraph became two, two became three, there became a mini article, until I had fleshed it out entirely...

You make these claims, but the Gartagens and Iroma have defined religions.

However I do support this.

This. Is so cool.

I wonder if there's a way to actually become a freespacer...

Edit:
You could go one step further and use the Wolfram computable universe interpretation that the universe we exist in is a simulation and that we are all basically just arising phenomena as a result of very simple repeating code, just like automata or Conway's Game of Life.

To further explain, you could also go as far as to say the ultimate purpose of life is to continue the game of life, so to speak, by evading the ultimate fate of the universe by forming a singularity within it during the end-times. Naturally, from within, the end of the universe would be unobservable if you computed say a universe within it. Maybe the universe is simulations within simulations within simulations. Nested loops.

I dunno. Throwing ideas out there.
What sticks, sticks. What doesn't, doesn't.

Please use the proper submission forum...

Form for NTSE submissions

Also, please mark this article as it is NOT APPORVED. Unapproved tag is as followed:

Code:
| :!: **The following article is currently NOT APPROVED for in-character usage.** |

Since this is setting content, I think it can basically be approved as is.

Could you give us some initial personnel numbers for the sake of bookkeeping? At least for 'official' and lifelong members, with some range for faithful who drift in and out of service.

I've always been saying that if SARP's setting is lacking in one thing, it's religiousness.

Actually SARP isn't lacking in religion, no idea where you got the idea. Ira's faction, Abweh's, mine, and a few others have religion firmly in the factions themselves. Yam also has religion, although it lacks a defined article (last I checked). Neps I believe don't have one.

So yes, Sarp does have religion.

That being said; I'm curious as to why you created this article. Is this is a new faction or is it an addition to the Freespacers?

Exhack said:
Since this is setting content, I think it can basically be approved as is.

Could you give us some initial personnel numbers for the sake of bookkeeping? At least for 'official' and lifelong members, with some range for faithful who drift in and out of service.

Well, I think it'd be no more than several thousand. When you take into account their work takes them across the entirety of the known galaxy, that means their numbers are spread pretty thin.

Kyle said:
I've always been saying that if SARP's setting is lacking in one thing, it's religiousness.

Actually SARP isn't lacking in religion, no idea where you got the idea. Ira's faction, Abweh's, mine, and a few others have religion firmly in the factions themselves. Yam also has religion, although it lacks a defined article (last I checked). Neps I believe don't have one.

So yes, Sarp does have religion.

That being said; I'm curious as to why you created this article. Is this is a new faction or is it an addition to the Freespacers?

I meant lacking religion as a key component in character/roleplay. Very few of the bios I've seen make any mention of religion whatsoever, but maybe that's just me.

It would be a faith whose origins start with the Freespacers but openly recruiting from all races. So I'm not sure whether that qualifies as a Freespacer addition or its own faction.

This is very interesting, but I'd like to dig a bit deeper into it.

The concept of reputation seems very important to them, but there are some issues that, I feel, contradict it:

1) The mercenary nature of their activity, mainly the idea of units resigning within 2 or 3 weeks of not seeing mlitary action. Many wars have long periods of down time where fighting isn't necessarily happening everywhere. If a group of Cultists chooses to resign or, heaven forbid, switch sides in the middle of a conflict, wouldn't that leave a lot of bad blood with the jilted faction?

2) The brothers in arms concept, mainly this section:
However, if followers that have moved on hear news that their old unit's army is returning to war, they will often leave their new unit at the nearest possible convenience to return to their old unit and together slay enemies anew. By temporarily leaving units in this manner, it is acceptable to have loyalties to a particular unit while still staying true to the Venerated Machine.

So, they're open to ditching whoever their working for to return to a group they like? Again, this seems unreliable for a group who relies on reputation.

Another thought: what if they're actually hired to kill a group of people they used to work for and actually liked working with? How would they interpret that? What if a Cultist sees one of these members, maybe a member who saved her life earlier, in her gunsights? Shoot/don't shoot?

3) Honor on the battlefield. The definition of enemy in the article is any opposing force on the battlefield. What about enemy medics? Civilians who just happen to be holding pistols? I'm not saying mercenaries have to be all honorable, but news travels fast, and seeing a Cultist mowing down enemy medics on intergalactic television would quickly sour their reputation across the galactic board.

1) I added the caveat about changing units within the national forces for this reason. As I understand it, most militaries have little inclination to turn down someone volunteering for more front line duty. If a nation in in a state where none of its units sees action for several weeks, it stands to reason that its at peace.

And as for bad blood, I think you might be overstating it. The cultists are open about what they do. Anyone who permits them to join should know from day one who and what they are. It's not exactly secret. If they don't like it, they wouldn't hire them in the first place

2) See the above. Also note I wrote "... at the nearest available opportunity in the sense of the shortest legal method of doing so. E.g., the end of a specific tour of duty or contract. Not simply going AWOL or anything.

Also, the shoot/don't shoot example is more an issue of personal morality. Whether someone is willing to attack someone they like or not is more an individual decision.

3) The term enemy is ambiguously defined specifically because its left to the discretion of unit commanders. They know well that infamy will limit their future potential to serve and kill, so should know to show discretion. One could also argue that tactics like this don't seem as abhorrent in the SARP universe as you think, as indicated by the actions of the Yamataians against the NMX and Freespacers, and NMX against everyone else.

----

As a religion it provides a set of suggested rules of conduct. It does not, however, provide a totalitarian ruleset for every situation. Dilemmas like those proposed have no clear cut and absolute answer. Some things are just left to individual judgement.

Strangelove said:
[...]the shoot/don't shoot example is more an issue of personal morality. Whether someone is willing to attack someone they like or not is more an individual decision.
There is a strong tendency for people to paint an entire group based on the actions of one member of a group, especially if their only personal interaction is that one person. In some cases, people even base their entire opinion of a group on one person that they met for a minute (and I think everyone can think of an example of where this is demonstrated either in the real world or in-game or both). This is why the concept of accepted professionalism comes into play, especially if a group is conscious of their image. Professionalism provides a sense of consistency and honesty of behavior for interactions with a group, regardless of who you are working alongside within that group.

I don't know if Wes could confirm or refute this or not, but I would guess that reliability and the ability of field commanders to know within reason what the soldiers under their command or tied to their unit(s) will do is very, very important. It's the reason there is training for militaries to begin with. You need to know whether someone's going to mow down indiscriminately or play honorably and whether they will follow orders or go their own way despite orders.

3) The term enemy is ambiguously defined specifically because its left to the discretion of unit commanders. They know well that infamy will limit their future potential to serve and kill, so should know to show discretion. One could also argue that tactics like this don't seem as abhorrent in the SARP universe as you think, as indicated by the actions of the Yamataians against the NMX and Freespacers, and NMX against everyone else.
Except that it is abhorred. You've probably noticed, but the YSA and NMX are not exactly the most liked, in-game. NMX are the villains of the piece, so of course they're supposed to do things like that. Yamatai is not intentionally trying to set out to be bad guys, but they (rather, their leaders) tend to put the safety of their nation above all, including ethical wartime behavior such as the genocide (which we have all agreed could have been handled better). So, no, I wouldn't think that using them as examples "that tactics like this don't seem as abhorrent in the SARP universe as you think" is a good reason to make such a claim. Those actions are abhorent and will not reflect well on either the cult or the Freespacers as a whole.

As a religion it provides a set of suggested rules of conduct. It does not, however, provide a totalitarian ruleset for every situation. Dilemmas like those proposed have no clear cut and absolute answer. Some things are just left to individual judgement.
There are few religions besides the parody ones that have "suggested" rules of conduct. But that is beside the point.

The point is that, actually, there should be a clear-cut and absolute answer for such actions because, as noted above, military leaders that these cultists work for need to know that these soldiers that they have hired will perform as ordered on the field. If the cultists kill previous employers when hired against them sometimes but not others, then they are unreliable and therefore unusable for whoever doesn't have the time or resources to dig out the reliable cultists from among the unreliable. And, if your soldier can be swayed because they used to fight for the other side...then anyone with sense would transfer that soldier to another field or, better still, remove him or her from the fight altogether. It's bad strategy unless you're beyond desperate to take on fighters from an unreliable source, even if their religion is based around the fight.

In the end, religion may be a popular source for reasons to fight for, but religions themselves rarely include ways on how to wage a war. That is why the Art of Never Again is probably the only thing close to a religious text that includes a straight-up military training manual for physical warfare! : ) Best-case, this would be a good group for independent action, not front-line duty or important missions, unless measured and proven on a case-by-base basis before each assignment.

(If anyone knows of a recognized religion that does directly teach warfare, let me know...I haven't heard of one. I've heard of some teaching why to fight, but not how.)

I left it ambiguous, as it is with most organizations, since people with different backgrounds would join different ways. But the two main methods would be either military-style (recruitment offices, chiefly recruiting from the poorest class citizens with promises of a better life) or Christian-style (offering aid and assistance to win favor and converts from the local community).

I guess my problem would be that of nomenclature.

A religious organization would never call itself a cult. Jim Jones, being a prime example, named his religious institution The Peoples Temple Christian Church Full Gospel. Other people outside of the peoples temple called it a cult.

So in your case the "Cult of War" should have a name that its members call it, and have the "Cult of War" be a nickname given to it by other soldiers from outside of the institution.

Also Cults tend to be more inclusive communities then what you are describing. I feel like there should be some form of animosity between cult members and the soldiers they serve beside.

That is just my humble opinion.

Caelesetos said:
I guess my problem would be that of nomenclature.

A religious organization would never call itself a cult. Jim Jones, being a prime example, named his religious institution The Peoples Temple Christian Church Full Gospel. Other people outside of the peoples temple called it a cult.

So in your case the "Cult of War" should have a name that its members call it, and have the "Cult of War" be a nickname given to it by other soldiers from outside of the institution.

Also Cults tend to be more inclusive communities then what you are describing. I feel like there should be some form of animosity between cult members and the soldiers they serve beside.

That is just my humble opinion.

I don't see any possible reason why it could not call itself Cult.

I see no reason to dismiss the name "Cult of War." Like Doshii said, we, as readers, have a negative context for the term, "cult". That's usually because its used to label extreme, fringe religious movements which are often considered (to put it mildly) completely bonkers.

However, the Romans, from which the Latin cultus is derived from, had no such qualms. To them, the worship of a cult meant that, in a polytheistic world, there were people who devoted themselves to one deity more than the others. That's not to say that they ignored the others but that these were devotees of one particular god or goddess. The oracles at Delphi, the Vestal Virgins, and others like that were all cults that were quite acceptable to ancient Romans.

Dictionary.com has the following definitions for the word.

1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology: a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

This Cult of War fits most, if not all, of those definitions from where I stand.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back