Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

The Cult of War

Strangelove

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Religious and Cultural
Submission URL: The Cult of War

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? (Not a faction?)

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Nope
Previously Submitted? Nope

Notes:

I've always been saying that if SARP's setting is lacking in one thing, it's religiousness. This started as a part of the background info for a character I was planning. One paragraph became two, two became three, there became a mini article, until I had fleshed it out entirely...

The term "Cult" has precedence in the Freespacers. i.e., the Hacker Cult. So to them, at least, it's not a self-depreciating term -- or if it is, it's used satirically. Anyways, the point is there is precedence, so it isn't worth stopping the submission.

There is no problem with the word 'cult' being used in this case, as it's a bit common amongst freespacers from my understanding.

However, one problem remains. Is this a faction or not? Considering it uses parts of the Freespacers I'm inclined to think it is, but then that would require FM approval and last I checked Strangelove, you relieved yourself of control of the freespacers last year or two and appointed someone else but whoever that person is NEVER changed the Faction page to reflect that change.

After a discussion on IRC with a few people, we came to the conclusion that since it is a self-determining organization (answers to no higher authority outside itself), it technically constitutes a faction, so MissingNo's approval is not necessarily.

MissingNo said:
If the cult is not part of the Free State, then they are a splinter faction and not under my purview.

This is particularly true since they don't claim alliance to the Free State (despite claiming religious elements that originated from the Freespacers; religions aren't restricted to particular factions). The Freespacers are by preference and majority pacifists, so any organization that stands in such opposition to that stance that they have the potential to endanger the rest of the State with their behavior is not considered part of the Free State.

Now that I think about it, that sounds like something that needs to be in the article, so I'll get on that soon.

Since the problems have been resolved, at least in my opinion anyway, I'll give this submission a three day grace period.

If no one posts within those three days to protest something about this, then I'll stamp it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back