• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

The Nassau System

Millia

Inactive Member
1168994447530.jpg

Located on the far rim of the northeastern frontier the Nassau system contains a small series of seven planets and two major asteroid belts. The fourth planet of the system (dubbed Morant by the locals) has become a small hub of activity in recent years. Its many small towns and ports offer a base for trade in the outlying regions. The system is populated by a varity of races, Yamataian, Elysians, Nepleslians, as well as any other rogue denazins of deep space can be found represented in the local port towns and space stations. The system's local government is little more than a security business paied by self imposed taxes on the system. Operaions are kept very quiet for the most part to avoid attention from any major empire.

Like the Caribbean ports of ancient earth Nassau is a remote watering hole for deep space travelers. The only planet in the system capable of supporting higher life forms is not a paradise by anyone's standard. The twin moons looming overhead create violent weather and treacherous seas. This makes its prospects for large scale colonization slim; the people that are drawn to the frontier are from all walks of life. Allegiance matters little on the port streets or small stations in the system as there is little of value to fight over. There are occasional fights but the scale and reasons are always small. Without the presence of imperial law in the system, Nassau (notably port Teach) has been frequented by smaller vessels under the command of pirates who use the trade ports and many "cantina's" of the system to spend their ill gotten gains. Military presence in the system, (rare as it is) never lasts long. The local groups are eager to lend aide but would rather push the ships along their way so they might resume business under their own terms. Nassau is little more than a port and shipyard of the modern age.

Star type, Blue Dwarf

Planetary bodies in Nassau

Nassau 1
Stellar Radius: .34 au
Gravity .4g
Solar orbit: 18 days
Rotation: 53hrs
Moons: 0
The closest body to the Nassau star is little more than a superheated rock spinning in space. Much too hot to support any life the planet rotates very slowly making probe landings on the night side possible but risky. Serious mining or survey of the planet is nigh impossible due to the extreme temperatures found on the surface.

Nassau 2
Stellar Radius: .67 au
Gravity .7g
Solar orbit: 204 days
Rotation: 22hrs
The second planet in the Nassau system has a thin sustained atmosphere. Due to volcanic activity and the high toxicity of the atmosphere the surface of the planet is being constantly reshaped. No indigenous life has been found on the surface, however some mining parties have harvested minerals from the cooled lava beds in inactive areas of the planet's surface.

Nassau 3
Stellar Radius: .94 au
Gravity .8g
Solar orbit: 268 days
Rotation: 19hrs
Moons: 1
While technically habitable Nassau III has a very thin oxygen atmosphere that supports little plant life and only the most rudimentary animals. Insects have evolved to live on the planet's surface with little water and thin air. Some even mimic larger plant life on other worlds; reports have come back on creatures large enough to prey on humanoids.

Nassau 4 "Morant"
Stellar Radius: 1.2 au
Gravity: .91g
Solar orbit: 340 days
Rotation: 26hrs
Moons: 2
Dubbed "Morant" by the local settlers this planet is has a rich oxygen environment, abundant surface water and plant life. Indigenous life on the planet was in its earliest stages when the arrival of colonists brought their own livestock and animals to inhabit the world, however many local diseases and early predators soon adapted to the new creatures and integrated them into the ecosystem. With the expansion of interstellar travel the Nassau system became a watering hole of sorts for travelers in the northern frontier and soon many small port towns sprang up on the surface. Most notably this system saw the rise of a local manufacturing company Oncari industries, whose main shipyard facilities are located in orbit around the larger of the planet's twin moons.

Nassau 5
Stellar Radius: 5.5au
Gravity: 2.8g
Solar orbit: 527 days
Rotation: 13hrs
Moons: 6
The first gas giant of the system Nassau-V is a deep green color. Swirling clouds of gasses play over its large surface. The largest planetary body in the system Nassau-V sits just beyond two compact rings of asteroids that divide the inner and outer solar system. The six moons of the planet have been mined and used for small space stations for some enraptures in the region however most claims don't last long.

Nassau 6
Stellar Radius: 21au
Gravity: 2.1g
Solar orbit: 500 days
Rotation: 46hrs
Moons: 3
Nassau-VI is another gas giant in the Nassau system. Smaller than Nassau-V it boasts spectacular rings that circle the dense ball of orange gasses that make up the atmosphere of this planet. The largest of the moons of Nassau-VI is home to a small space station dubbed "Port Teach" The high volume of asteroid activity near the planet makes navigation and scanning difficult. Rogue asteroids have been known to catch an unwitting starship pilot off guard and the shear volume of debris blind many sensor systems.

Nassau 7
Stellar Radius: 48au
Gravity: .5g
Solar orbit: 823 days
Rotation: 21hrs
The furthest planetary body in the solar system, Nassau-VII is a frozen planet of dense rock. High mountain ranges and deep canyons on the surface provoke thought that something lies below the surface of this world. Its oxygen atmosphere remains too thin to explore without a pressure suit and the blinding snow storms on the planet's surface can swallow people and even ships whole under the torrent.

Everything with the systems seems okay. Who are "the locals," though?

I like it. The 'Free State', or Freespacer territory, was designed to be just that.

A foreseeable problem is how they have an entire multi-racial, multicultural colony deep within Freespacer territory, when the Freespacers haven't even managed 'official' first contact yet. How would they gain enough fame to attract a significant number of immigrants, without attracting the attention of a government? Did Oncari privately contract workers and colonists and ship them out? Or are they all criminals and unwanteds who fled from Yamatai hearing rumor of a Free State where they could hide without persecution?

And while they may practice something similar to Xenia (a tradition that requires hospitality to visitors), I'm not sure how they'd react to an entire colony inside their space. A colony attracts trade, immigrants, pirates, ect, and would cause a huge impact on a race (the Freespacers) that hasn't even had proper contact yet. Moreso since they're quite pacifist and low-tech, making them easy prey. This would likely attract pirates by the fleetload if a colony was established.

Another thing, Freespacer territory is supposed to be basically devoid of habitable planets. I can see a station or a dome colony on a hostile world, but the Freespacers would have definitely discovered something as noticeable as an oxygen-rich and green planet long ago using their telescopes and colonized it.

All in all, there are some details to hammer out, but the idea has potential.

No one said it was a peacefull system. Besides that there are billions of stars in the galaxy it's not unfathomable that one out of the way would be overlooked. As for detecting habitable planets with telescopes that is a lot harder than one might think. A blue star is far brighter than SOL and planatary bodies are only detected by variations in the light parern caused by jupiter sized masses orbiting them. Picking out a planet the size of earth or smaller is nigh impossible with a normal telescope.

But because no one race has a claim to the system and no large government to speek of the place is mkore of a multi ratial port than a soverin state. Liken it to an old wes t town . or even the tattooine in a way.

If the star is inside freespacer territory, it's not out of the way. The star is close enough to have been seen through a mundane telescope for a good long while - after all, we can observe other galaxies with our own telescopes today. Furthermore, if the system was this nearby, the freespacers' advanced sensor systems would surely have spotted it (even if they aren't as good as the yamataians, they should be able to do at least this much) - they might have had actually travelled there already with sublight engines to see how things were like there and to colonize it already.

However, the freespacers have no made first contact with another alien species... so the mixed race society isn't really possible next to them. If the concept would be explored, I'd suggest choosing another location close to known species whom happen to know each other (that unnamed world next to Gashmere?). That would work better, I think.

That system is not in 3XF's expansion zone right now, but it will be eventually.

In other words, Yamataians will expand that way some time in the future. If you have the system there, the locals will then have to deal with Star Army ships. There will probably be RP involved.

Just a head's up.

When did the "locals" arrive?

that all depends. one year is not a long time to get established so how far back can i put people in the system?

I don't think it should be any longer than a year - I mean, right now in the RP people haven't even explored past Essia, let alone colonized there.

Theres far more people in the universe than those listed in the rp. If nothing exists before they get there what are they really exploreing.

Ive made a lot of concessions at everry step of this process, now Please. Please just give me this one thing.

I don't want to further impede the development of your idea... But, I just realized what may be a large problem. The location. Your main shipyards and your main markets (Yamatai and Nepleslia) have a pirate outpost (Halna) smack between them. Since Oncari sounds as if it isn't big on weaponry, they may have problems shipping their products to market. You can't expect to maintain a steady trade route near pirate territory without significant security -- And even then, you can't guarantee you wont lose profit to pirate raids. After all, a lone resource-rich outpost without a standing military force would make quite a tempting target, and would attract pirates from near and far.

I understand you want Oncari Industries to be independent and all, but piracy is going to be a major problem for any independent port whether they like it or not. More so if they have a corporation stationed there created a steady flow of trade in and out of the system. Thats why the few organizations that leave secure space all have a strong military arm to support them, or criminal underworld connections. And that may also be why there are little or no independent ports on the map.

You're either going to have to find someone with a military backbone to protect Nassau, like Yamatai or some other nation, or try making a pact with a local crime syndicate. Though knowing criminals, that usually means a rapid spiral down into the criminal sector without any hope of redemption. Since it sounds like you really want Oncari Industries to get off the ground ASAP, you could always try a third choice: Why not just do what all the other independent corporations do and work in secure space? Buy resources, sell products, like normal corporations. Oncari Industries doesn't need its own independent port in order to produce ships, since almost all of secure space maintains free market economic practices.

I'm with Leutre on this one.

You're asking to get your company's ass owned within three years of creating its first interstellar model. Not only that, but you've poured an incredible amount of energy into these three submissions to ensure you have a space of the SARP carved out completely for yourself.

Except it doesn't work that way. And it won't work that way. We're a community; you want an island. And how are you going to keep it all afloat without players? You've noticed that right now we're trying to contract (as usual during the winters) so we can solidify the player base for summer's advertising blitz.

Those are OOC concerns, so they have no bearing on the quality and worthiness of the submission -- both of which I think are high. Just a fair warning.

I don't have a problem with a new company setting itself up to get raped by pirates, but I do want its history to be in line with established events. So, I'd like to see the company start off somewhere within explored space and then, if desired, move outward.

there is a relatively unused little fourm way down on the line that intrigued me. the one labled space pirates. As far as sci fi is concerned i was never really fascinated by "the good guys" or the huge all encompaseing empires. but the little stories like Firefly, or the old star wars stories about smuglers because they seemed real. Being a "redshirt" just isn't appealing in any way and i just wanted to see if somethign else worked.

the commenbt about making an island was a little low. It wouldent be that hard to encounter any of the other plotships or have a run in with other characters. The fourm system itself makes a kind of vacume where plots never intersect or collide with one another (in most cases). But if everyone in a certin rp is "on the same side" dosent that seem a little dull after a while?

PS: Space is not two dimentional. Two stars that are seemingly in line with each other could well be off set by hundreds of lightyears. so no i dont really see a problem with the pirate hideout. Never underestimate the will or abilitty for people to defend themselves. outrunning or out manuvering a pirate ship is always a possibility. or just taking the long way round thru a nebula.

if this 3 dimentional travle is beyond the scope of the rp how about moving it here?

1169514173471.jpg

I wasn't trying to go below the belt there, Millia. My apologies. I was just trying to point out that you're really going all out to create your own system here.

And you say that "running into" other plotships is possible. Yes, it is. But you need to work with other GMs to do that, and it might not work for them. I'm just saying, it's been tried before.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back