• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Art The ZARC-T39 'ZARCNAM'

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ZARC-T39 'ZARCNAM'
A currently in-progress update to one of Star Army's older and more popular mercenary/independent weapons. The model/artwork itself is done, being based along the original linework. A few modifications make it standout from the original, however, such as an integrated underbarrel plasma flamethrower/gun and magazine feeds/slides being changed from its original AK-inspiration to an AR-15. It's a filthy union of Soviet and American weapons within the sci-fi setting... so it sure as hell gets style points.

There's hard-stocks, the ability to knock it off, a 10-shot magazine (for more carbine/rifle firing than SMG), a plasma enhancing compensator to enhance its lower barrel, a plasma storing grip-mount (allowing the gun's operator to reload it and keep the plasma cell in as a side-mounted grip), and so very much more. It's been a real joy to recreate and rebrand the legendary weapon to a higher resolution, and even then it's still not done and ready for submission to the site where it'll be at home.

You can find out more about the original weapon here - wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=… - and you can see the long-running site where it was born at stararmy.com/index.php.
at03.deviantart.net_BDibBF7e3TZ9wviRik7k4j4NEsM__300x200_filtef300794e3dfb99321ec6d70af307941f.png
View The ZARC-T39 'ZARCNAM' on DeviantArt

I'm just stating the facts Legix - I don't want SARP to gain a bad reputation.

However, what has me stumped is that you haven't apologized to Arieg, or asked if you can use the artwork as a basis for your own. You've said you credited him, but have so far, have not tried having a proper dialog with him even though he's right here.

Wes spoke. His ruling is the law of the site.

You can take this bitching elsewhere. For now, the art stays.

Star Army doesn't allow violations of copyright or plagiarism. Here's what we allow in terms of copyrighted images: Using Copyrighted Images

That said, when you submit content, including art, to Star Army, Star Army gets a license to use/remix that content. Star Army's members can make edits to art as long as those edits stay within Star Army, (e.g. don't post edited art on DA or Tumblr, etc without the original artist's permission) and proper credit is given.

It is best if you get permission from the original author for the sake of courtesy, but this isn't required, especially in cases where they're no longer an active member and probably wouldn't respond to a PM. Also some artworks (like adoptables and some commissions) may have special restrictions on if they can be edited, etc, which we want to respect 100% of the time. So ask on the forum. Make a thread to say "I want to make this art, is this okay?"

Also based on the evidence and comparisons, I think Legix's work is original anyway, and the idea of Arieg somehow owning what is basically the Kalashnikov rifle design is silly in the first place.

I think the takeaway is: Ask in advance next time, that way people don't get upset. This applies to anytime you use another person's creations whether that's characters, locations, artworks, etc. It's just the courteous thing to do.

As an artist, if you don't want your work to be edited, you can put that on the page's OOC notes the same way you would with character adoption (e.g. "Please don't make any new versions of this art without asking Arieg first, thanks!"), and we will respect that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back