• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Those Damned Spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing can actually read those codes somehow.

And yeah, I could remove ICQ. Does anyone use it anymore? I think AIM ate it.

We might as well just trash the ICQ field. AIM ate enough of it up that it isn't ICQ anymore.

This shit is fucking nuts.

I deleted FIVE spammers on my own yesterday. I've nixed one today. My average, at this point, is one spammer/day.

Can we hurry up and remove the ICQ field, and implement any other measures available? I know it's low priority with the wiki being created and all, but anything is better than nothing.

I've also noticed the frequency behind bots using ICQ numbers as well.

Wes, I think there's more than enough justification here to remove the ICQ number field from the registration process now. If a user has an ICQ number, nothing stops him/her from posting it up in the contact thread.

Kotori said:
I've also noticed the frequency behind bots using ICQ numbers as well.

Wes, I think there's more than enough justification here to remove the ICQ number field from the registration process now. If a user has an ICQ number, nothing stops him/her from posting it up in the contact thread.
The ICQ number field isn't actually on the registration page. >,<

Wes, I'd like to request mod access to the General forum. Occasionally, some spammer makes a post there that I turn out being helpless to remove because I don't have the access rights for that place.

I could go on and say that with Admin status I could ban their IPs and pulverize them... but I understand that'd be a stopgap solution only.

Any way patching the forum could solve this? I remember you've done that before, but I don't know what kind of measures it entails (time, effort, money?).

Well, if I had more programming skills, I'd put in a "if registrant submits ICQ despite there being no ICQ field visible, then deny registration" code, but I'm not entirely sure how - I don't want to break the forums.

I thought you guys had discussed a solution where the ICQ field is hidden in the registration page and when a bot enters it, it gets banned. Hardly anyone uses ICQ anyway.

There is a phpBB mod that makes registration require a confirmation code. It solved our spamming problem (after deleting some 300 spam posts in the span of a month, I was more than pleased to have the mod), but it was apparently a bitch to install.

Unfortunately, the spam program these guys are using (Xrumer) can read that confirmation code image.

Doshii Jun said:
Sounds like we're kinda just fucked.
Well, we also get a lot of human spammers, too.

Looks easy and effective. I'll install it asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back