• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Those Damned Spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing can actually read those codes somehow.

And yeah, I could remove ICQ. Does anyone use it anymore? I think AIM ate it.

We might as well just trash the ICQ field. AIM ate enough of it up that it isn't ICQ anymore.

This shit is fucking nuts.

I deleted FIVE spammers on my own yesterday. I've nixed one today. My average, at this point, is one spammer/day.

Can we hurry up and remove the ICQ field, and implement any other measures available? I know it's low priority with the wiki being created and all, but anything is better than nothing.

I've also noticed the frequency behind bots using ICQ numbers as well.

Wes, I think there's more than enough justification here to remove the ICQ number field from the registration process now. If a user has an ICQ number, nothing stops him/her from posting it up in the contact thread.

The ICQ number field isn't actually on the registration page. >,<

Wes, I'd like to request mod access to the General forum. Occasionally, some spammer makes a post there that I turn out being helpless to remove because I don't have the access rights for that place.

I could go on and say that with Admin status I could ban their IPs and pulverize them... but I understand that'd be a stopgap solution only.

Any way patching the forum could solve this? I remember you've done that before, but I don't know what kind of measures it entails (time, effort, money?).

Well, if I had more programming skills, I'd put in a "if registrant submits ICQ despite there being no ICQ field visible, then deny registration" code, but I'm not entirely sure how - I don't want to break the forums.

I thought you guys had discussed a solution where the ICQ field is hidden in the registration page and when a bot enters it, it gets banned. Hardly anyone uses ICQ anyway.

There is a phpBB mod that makes registration require a confirmation code. It solved our spamming problem (after deleting some 300 spam posts in the span of a month, I was more than pleased to have the mod), but it was apparently a bitch to install.

Unfortunately, the spam program these guys are using (Xrumer) can read that confirmation code image.

Doshii Jun said:
Sounds like we're kinda just fucked.
Well, we also get a lot of human spammers, too.

Looks easy and effective. I'll install it asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…