• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Thoughts on an unpleasant situation?

Enansel

Inactive Member
Say you're faced with an unpleasant situation (any one you can think of) and you've either got the option of telling the truth and hoping people aren't too pissed off at you, or flat out lying and hoping no one questions it too much. Which do you pick? and why?

Just curious...

the second one... but only because I just got done watching the two "Horrible Bosses" movies.... past that why not the truth... worst case you learn who really arn't your friends and loved ones.

From my experience, Lies are -always- figured out at some point or another. you can't be sure whom will remember that lie til the day they die. While telling the truth can get you in trouble, at least you told the truth. Lying and then getting found out will only bring yourself far more trouble once its found out.

Furthermore; A single lie lays its way into a web of lies, once one lie is said you have to lie to keep the lie alive, making more lies, eventually you won't be capable of telling the lie from the truth anymore.

White lies and omissions of details have their place.

For example, if I return home after having a rough day and that my Mom is going to ask me "how was your day?" if I'm truthful and discuss how I struggled to interact with certain users (I'm an IT tech), I always end up on the butt end of a negative critique/lecture which I've no patience for, and we generally end up snapping at each others and part ways for the evening. Answering "it was okay" would've spared us both that kind of grief. Honestly, when people ask you how you're doing, they're seldom interested in hearing a negative answer anyways.

I've lied before. I've actually been a compulsive liar back when I was younger. I've found that it's a larger hindrance to potentially be caught in a lie than facing the trouble of being truthful is. I still think omission has its place; some things are more appropriate on a need-to-know basis and bring about less trouble with tactful restraint. But deliberate falsehood - especially for something more important - generally doesn't pay off.

Even when something bad happens, things generally work themselves out.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back