• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Toaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Inactive Member
"Toaster" Power Generation System (?): The toaster draws its power from a newly forming universe by causing it to perpendicularly intersect a dimension inside of the toaster's reaction chamber so that energy can be siphoned off. The raw energy and materials in the reaction chamber can also be siphoned off as building materials or directed to well up in another area to create an effect much like a quantum detonator, energy welling up at a location. Careful manipulation of the toaster can also produce gravitational waves via fluctuating mass useful for anti-gravity in an atmospheric environment or ship detection. The Toaster also doubles as an FTL system, capable of creating small wormholes between locations. The toaster itself resembles a hollow sphere nearly 40 feet in diameter with control equipment protruding from the ‘top' of the apparatus.
Damage: Total
Area of Effect: 1000m radius
Range: ~5ly from a toaster power generation system.
Rate of Fire: 6rpm
Payload: unlimited

Ok, you managed to make a power generater that is also a means of artifical gravity, a weapon, and a ftl system.

Listen, this thing is broken. It will always be broken, nomatter how many times you try and fix it, since you have ment for it to do all these things.

It generates power in a way that flys in the face of everything. Where does this new universe come from, and how can intrsecting it generate enough power to do all these things?

How is it capable of syphoning power out if it's a sphere with it's only known feature is a counsol on the top of it?

I don't really agree with Cora since I don't understand most of his points.

My one point is that how you channel energy between this new universe, and how you find it, could be fleshed out a little.

Cora: This new universe is clearly in another reality, of which their are infinate, and this one just happens to be starting now.

I asked questions as to how this thing can work. Anwser them.

Oh, and just FYI, this thing makes it hard for me to suspend my disbelif over it's capabilities, since it's a sphere with a box on it.

finding it would be a simple matter of monitoring energy patterns in universes or creating your own big bang event or collapsing a pre-exsisting universe and artificially causing it to undergo a big bang again.

Channeling energy would involve getting the universe to intersect through the use of wormholes and overlaping the areas of space in that universe with the one needing the power. Getting the energy out is a simple matter. I'd just say long loops of copper wire with a flow going through the middle of the loops but that would be way low tech compared to whatever exsists in this universe as a parallel for that.

finding it would be a simple matter of monitoring energy patterns in universes or creating your own big bang event or collapsing a pre-exsisting universe and artificially causing it to undergo a big bang again.

These sound a little overly complicated. I advise some form of constant browsing system which constantly search through millions of alternate realities using micro-wormholes. This is a lot easier than collapsing an entire universe, or creating your own big bang event.

Channeling energy would involve getting the universe to intersect through the use of wormholes and overlaping the areas of space in that universe with the one needing the power. Getting the energy out is a simple matter. I'd just say long loops of copper wire with a flow going through the middle of the loops but that would be way low tech compared to whatever exsists in this universe as a parallel for that.

So basically what you do is open up a wormhole to this universe which is just going through a big-bang, and then channel energy from it in the form of whatever, electro-magnetic energy, plasma etc. As long as you take a fairly huge amount of shielding for the inside of the device I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

Well a browsing device would be a whole seperate device, the toaster implies that this bit of work has already been done.

The wormhole would only be uni-directional (ah la stargate) and would only be there to connect the two universes so the space can be bent and folded. Once the two planes would intersect the energy would be welling into and out of the first plane like a dammed river. The energy could be let out slowly so that it could be fed back into a containment system which would allow more energy to be brought inside.

As a power generation system, I don't have any problems with it.

As a weapon system there are a few:

As it stands you actually have an anti-fleet weapon given that it covers 0.01 AU, which itself is going to be around 1.5 Million kilometres (I worked that out in my head, so it might be a little off). That it is another 'Total Annihilation' weapon, we must see this as a super-heavy anti-fleet weapon. We've had much difficulty with this in the past ...

Secondly it's range is huge. 5 LY's is a very long way, and far longer than most of our weaponary, I can't think of a single super-heavy SA weapon which matches that range. Possibly something in the NDI, but not in SA.

Thirdly, this is 6rpm, and this is too high in my opinion, if we are to keep this an anti-fleet 'total' weapon. Most anti-fleet weapons take minutes to recharge, you fire 6 in a minute.

If you'd listen to my recomendation, I'd cut down the area of effect massively, make this an anti-one, anti-two ship weapon, and massively take down that range. Still long perhaps, but not as long.

What would be a good area of effect? I wanted something on par with the QD and shock cannon though trading area of effect for range.

Well that's a rather complicated question:

The QD has a range only limited by the sensor range, and the area of effect covers two AU with total annihilation. That's greater than yours, but I would like to point out that no SA ship I know of uses a QD, and the NDI has a habit of using weapons far more powerful than anything we use. Trying to match them is both pointless and dangerous.

The Aether Shock cannon has a range of 2 AU, but is only 30 metres wide. It is no longer an anti-fleet system.

In all honesty I'd make it not much larger than that, maybe a 100, 1000 metre area of effect, in a sphere not a beam. That makes it an effective weapon but doesn't risk the super-weapon problem we're getting.

Oh, and who is going to use this weapon?

Well the toaster would have certain limitations requiring a toaster be present for the effect to be brought into being.

That aside, edit made.

Oh, and Nam will be using this.

Uhm ... I think Nepleslia using this isn't stretching things too far. It's pretty advanced, but it isn't anything using an enormous amount of finnesse.

Do you think it's possibly to tone things down from 'total' to 'extreme'? It's a minor point, but even this won't destroy time-metal. While the effect of this weapon would be to destroy almost every single time, it's just more likely to be approved if it's not a 'total' weapon.

Oh, and although 6 rpm isn't really bad now, perhaps if you stated 'One shot every ten second' might be better. For a weapon of his power I'd have thought more one every 15-20.

By the time this would actually be used NAM will have some experianced engeneers. Ones deffinitly capable of building this.

Also, in all fairness, total annialation weapons can't destroy zeusiaum so the current discription seems about right.

Okay. It's way, way too late to make sense of some giga-device that normally makes baked bread. All I can say is, "What the fuck?" But I realize that's not a question with a point, and Cora's already mentioned it.

Go to sleep, people.

I'm more aghast at the actual names of the two devices Uso Tasuki just hatched more than anything else. Toaster and Spatula? (or however you butchered them names)

Uso Tasuki said:
Also, in all fairness, total annialation weapons can't destroy zeusiaum so the current discription seems about right.

... PLease tell me you didn't say that. What part of "Total Annilation" are you not getting?

Well firstly it's annihilation ...

But Cora, I will give you an example:

Singularity Ejection Cannon (1): The weapon generates a black hole inside of the ship and then spins it to generate a SEC, that energy is focused out the front of the ship and out at the target. A complex ring of gravity generators is situated on a ring outside of the ship with more inside of the ship lining a chamber built for containment of the black hole. The internal gravity generators contain the singularity while the outer ones form and spin it to create the GRP. The energy is then focused out of this chamber. Complex magnetic arrays and gravity generators line this part of the weapon and can guide and direct the beam.

Location: The forward 3/4 of the ship with a focusing chamber running down the center of the ship.
Primary Purpose: System Bombardment
Secondary Purpose: Heavy fire support
Damage: Total annihilation in
Range: Virtually Unlimited
Payload: Virtually Unlimited as long as power is provided.
Rate of Fire: A continuous beam can be generated for 6 minutes; after that, the structural integrity system needs a 25 second refresh period.

This would not destroy Time-Metal since it is only a hideously powerful energy beam. It has total-annihilation because it would most likely destroy the ship completely, breaking down shields and slipping through cracks in the hull or areas which are not made of Time-Metal. However the Time-metal hull will still be intact. As such Zack's statement is correct.

NOT APPROVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back