• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Submission Tollgate

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't really know what limitations you have in mind here on future tollgates and while I can make some up, the fundamental technologies don't seem to have much limitation as to where they can be placed.
I've been thinking- what if the gates had to be pointed at one another and not have any substantial celestial bodies in the way of them? For laser communications? It could assuage concerns like those from Yuuki and Wes.

Wes is saying these only exist in Essia or sarpiverse sectors, so perhaps this is something infinity gates sells *only* to Star Army.

You've referenced the speeds on the wormhole page, but that page states they also "require larger, more powerful generator suites to create a larger, more stable gates." These gates don't seem to have room for substantial power. Wouldn't they have very huge engineering rooms and hopefully engineers on staff? Aether's not even linked and I'd like to do a little bit of that type of work for you if ok?

Also I'd be linking Himitsu, but is Himitsu in Essia now? Or still in Katsuko's Nebula and we'd need to find an alternative? It needs Star Army protection, as stated in the original submission for Infinity Gates.

You are certainly getting an easy mode submission, Soban, but I think members are concerned with the mechanics of the setting element and are willing to overlook the skeletal content. They just want a setting element added that makes sense, which means in universe it will need to be a little less of an easy mode form of transport. If the laser communication/not blocked by celestial bodies things doesn't work for you I'll try to think up something else to make this make sense : )

I've been thinking- what if the gates had to be pointed at one another and not have any substantial celestial bodies in the way of them?

I'm not really adverse to that, but I also don't really see it as a significant limitation. The laser bit is weird and IDK about that rationalization. I'd probably use something about them having to be in alignment (like an invisible straw through space).

Infinitygate doesn't sell the gates, they sell access to the gates.

You've referenced the speeds on the wormhole page, but that page states they also "require larger, more powerful generator suites to create a larger, more stable gates." These gates don't seem to have room for substantial power.

I really like how the gates form an infinity symbol.

Also any resemblance in the image of the gates to the Zvonock Gates is purely coincidental and I totally didn't just paint over them with lights and a background added. /s

Wouldn't they have very huge engineering rooms and hopefully engineers on staff? Aether's not even linked and I'd like to do a little bit of that type of work for you if ok?

Probably? Crew size and such isn't something I thought very deeply about. If someone else wants to come along and add them and help make the article better, that's fine.

I've had Himitsu in Essia since the end of the Occupation.

As I've tried to emphasize over and over, I don't see this as being a new setting element. It's an application of existing tech. The reason it's not Ley Lines, Zvonock Gates, or whatever Yamatai had previously is that their not mine.

Last edited:
I'd probably use something about them having to be in alignment (like an invisible straw through space).
That's what I originally thought! But it's not much of a limitation, so I kept thinking about how it could be and that's when I came up with them needing to be laser communication (which AIES use) but could be too limiting. Something to think about!

Lasers are speed of light, which presents a problem for things that are trying to connect hundreds or thousands of lightyears. I mean if I was writing a different universe that might be a fascinating limitation, but I'd like to actually have a link by the time my great-grandchildren die lol.

As the timer has expired and all questions/suggestions have been at least replied to, I approve the submission, subject to the restriction that the Essia system is the sole host to this gate or group of gates in the Kikyo Sector since we don't want to change the existing setup of how travel works in the Kikyo Sector. This means they're primarily used as a way to reach other sectors as they are added to the setting (subject to the approval of the GM of said sectors). The submission meets the "easy mode" requirements of out of sector submissions.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back