• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Types of sublight and FTL drives?

Concerto

Inactive Member
The ship I'm designing currently relies on an "experimental graviton drive" for movement and I'd just like to know if it can be used to power both the sublight and faster-than-light capacities of the starship.

It's impossible to go FTL using gravitons unless you develop a truly strange system.

Gravimetric drives are usually used as a common way of going STL - effectively falling through space - although sometimes the technology involved can be quite advanced. NovaCorp in particular prides itself with high tech gravity manipulation.

I'd always pictured a gravity-based FTL drive as working sort of like a space fold, only taking relativity into account not to mention the sheer raw power that would be needed to generate a gravity nexus that strong. Look at it this way: instead of folding space, the gravity FTL drive would squeeze it together until the distance between two points was shortened considerably. When the drive is disengaged space/time returns to normal with no ill effects.

*shrugs* What you're suggesting there is a warp drive based on space-time manipuation through gravity. The problem with that is that it's vastly inefficient in comparison to the drives currently available, and quite likely to make a black hole and destroy you.

Yeah, I did mention horribly large power requirements. But I've always wanted to gravitate away from the "standard" types of FTL (warp, fold, hyperdrive, wormhole, slipspace..)
Heh. Gravitate. ;)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back