• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

Nashoba said:
EPJ has features that the Working Uniform doesn't
That's true, but I'm still hoping to phase it out so we can streamline the number of uniforms the Star Army uses. I have been thinking lately maybe the working uniform can be retrofitted to have a sort of "soft spacesuit" capability when combined with the right helmet and pack. I was thinking a bubble helmet with a tube running to an air recyling unit worn on the waist like in retro sci-fi.

Also, I've been thinking maybe those old cargo pockets on the working uniform are kind of handy and that we could allow dress pants and cargo pants, just like we allow a standard and a pleated skirt.

I want to get more art of non-humanoid species in Star Army uniforms (like Kodians and Phods) and of women in pants and perhaps a guy in a skirt to show that it's a non-sexist uniform (though, in a universe where someone who wants to present as female can transfer to a female body, I'm not sure this is necessary?).

Doshii Jun said:
As long as you call it a kilt and not a skirt.
No way! It's a skirt just like the female version. No need to hide behind alternate terminology. I did some research on the subject today and here's a cool blog post about one runner's experience wearing a skirt that I want to share. Yamatai is futuristic and progressive and gender equality is important to me.

Prepare to make two versions, then. A skirt made for a woman won't be flattering or practical on guys — weird on the hips (just look at the photo with your link) and inappropriate at the groin. Kilt-style lower wear takes into consideration how men tend to walk and, frankly, are built with a guy's genitals in mind.

I dare you to go out and wear a skirt yourself, Wes, and see how equal you feel. Hell, trying wearing a woman's pants and see how that feels. I can tell you right now, a kilt definitely is the way to go. If you want men to feel equal, don't make them feel embarrassed by wearing a one-size-fits-all skirt.

I've commissioned a Kodian and a woman wearing pants (a non-white one too!) to help show more diversity in the Star Army.

I was thinking: If I gave Nekovalkyrja characters capes, would their players be more likely to start using their super powers (of superhuman strength, agility, and flight) more? This is a serious question.

The racial abilities are innate in each Neko, so to have them spring capes and acting like superheroes with powers seems unlikely, IC and otherwise.

It might be that we just don't have enough scenes and stories where players show those abilities. No one wants to be OP, after all. But Neko do have those abilities, so it behooves Neko players to display them, at least on occasion.

Or it behooves the GM's to create situations where the players need to. Most of the time the abilities like flying have been down played. So if you want them more prevelent, so be it Wes.

I'd be of the opinion of leaving capes and mantles as symbols of office if they'd ever be used. If you dress characters formally, I figure they could have a place. Just going for capes on a whim of inspiring more superpower use is poor taste in my opinion, though.

An example of the use of capes is how commanding officers ended up wearing those to be more visually distinct in the Nadesico anime (such as Ruri in the movie).

On a personal level, the idea doesn't really appeal to me. It feels very western and tacked on to me, whereas I'd rather see neko fashion point towards more traditional japanese fashion lines.

I am more in favor of dropping much of the Japanese imagery in favor of a more Norse feel. Yamatai claims the Norse in claim only. With the exception of the full on Neko name and a character played by Sharkjane, Yamatai is 99.8 percent japanese. So maybe some variety could be beneficial?

Um... in the Navy, I really liked my dress blues. They look pretty pimp, especially once you hit Petty Officer. The CPO's get the coolest dress uniform in the whole damn navy.

Now that I've been schlooming around in Yamatai for a while, (Two characters in the Military is schlooming, I guess.) I have spent some time mentally donning my dress coat and red sash. I guess, what I want to say is...

Can Yamatai have some really pimptastic dress uniform with a bitchin' visor cap and some rad epaulettes?

@ Ira: How exactly would we make Star Army uniform more "norse?" The only ways I could think of is slapping on some celtic knots or other details, or by using tunics. Note the Star Army uniform isn't a traditional Japanese uniform either, because it's more based in general military tradition than cultural tradition.

@ Lam: We just updated the duty uniform a year ago and over this last year, we've got hundreds of artworks for it:

Because updating the uniform would make all that art obsolete, I'm not looking to make any more drastic changes for at least another 4 years. I am considering a fancier hat, but at the same time I've very aware that any details we add to the uniform are going to put more work on the artists.

The other thing is that I am trying to keep the number of uniform streamlined. Introducing a second, even more formal uniform (especially with a different hat) would be expensive and pointless, IMO.

Stuff I have considered to "fancy up" the existing uniform:

- Some sort of gold pins on the shoulder straps
- Cords/Fourragère/Aiguillette
- Bringing back the sash
- Medals with ribbons

If I introduce a peaked cap for officers, I would need to have a cap insignia for the Star Army. So far my idea is a bellflower with some wreathes around it.

Perhaps a Hinomaru instead of the anchor?

Oh, but I understand the art expenditures causing a problem for that... If I had come and played Yamataian characters sooner, I'd've probably had this thought sooner. As it is, the Nepleslian dress uniform is sufficiently pimp, but in more of a 'sci-fi' kind of way. I totally think 'Galactic Space Freedom Alliance' whenever I see them. Whereas the Yamataian dress uniform is just the service uniform with a fancy coat and (apparently not anymore) a rad red sashload of medals.

I like the option of adding dress-shoulder-boards that just fold over the existing shoulder-boards on the jacket. The Soviets had something similar. You can buy the leftovers online, even. This with a few cords and the ability to unzip the jacket one-quarter and fold out a lapel would be pimp for both male and female officers.

I don't know, though. You just spent all that money on art, so I guess I'm just late to the conversation. Which is silly, considering I've been here for years. :<

Then again, I missed a whole topic on smoking a while back and I had some pretty powerful stuff to say on that subject as well...

:< life is hard

Here's some hat concepts.

Attachments

• cap mockup 1.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 33
  • cap mockup 2.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 37
  • cap mockup 3.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 33
  • cap mockup 4.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 34
Oh, my soul flutters at the gold-bordered hinomaru one! I would wear that junk around the damn house.

Skirts: Still pondering the male skirt option (and yes, it's not a kilt; kilts are skirts but skirts are not necessarily kilts). I was thinking a design with pockets (like this) might be a nice addition, for both the male and female versions.

Peaked caps: If implemented, I think it would be an optional but authorized "purchase it yourself" item sold in ship stores and would be only allowed for officers. Thoughts?

Edit: added mockup

Last edited:
Still not a fan of the skirt idea at all. The hats aren't a bad idea, but I think you need to make a design focused on enlisted if you're going to make something like that for officers, since most players aren't officer rank.

Male skirts ... ugh. As long as it's an option, and we're prepared to be laughed at. I vote no on them all the same, if there's a vote to be had.

The two hat ideas could work for officers and enlisted; only enlisted get the braid.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…