• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

I'll try (again) to move the serial number on the dress to a higher position. I had trouble before getting it to look right, so I went with the pocket because on the image it was more flat and facing the viewer.

I just realized that we do have one image of the back of a Star Army cap. It shows one of the talley tails only and it's offset to the side. Most art only shows one tail, too. Hmm. Trying to decide whether we should just go with this (and figure out how it would work) or go with the IJN-style back or use both and say it varies.

Edit: Made a nice outlined view of it:

Edit: I recently made a cold-weather NSMC cap and I was thinking about one for the Star Army. Remember back four years ago when we adopted the sailor cap? One of the options we looked at was an ushanka. With the new officer cap badge available, I went back to the old mockup and added it and I must say I like the look. What do you think?

Last edited:
That hat looks cute, but to me, it looks more appropriate for Nepleslia than Yamatai

In terms of the actual hat production, a single tail is actually much easier to manage than a double tail. Don't have to quite worry so much about the tail length. But anyway.

Fuzzy hat. You're going to give me a hat complex on this site. All of the hats. Give them to me.

Reactions: Wes
There seems to see good support for a ushanka. I'll see what I can do.

- - -

Police uniforms: I've decided I don't like having the hinomaru covered. Instead of just moving the pauldron to the other side, I came up with two other ideas:

1. Replace the pauldron with a Japanese-Police-Style armband (green with white stripes).
2. Merge the police into the Emergency Services department along where the paramedics and firefighters are. This makes a lot of sense to me. It would have the side effect of making their uniform green. Police often wear high-visibility stuff anyway.

So below, we see the old, updated blue, and updated emergency services green:

Dunno mate, cops should be blue. You can put them under emergency services, but let them keep their blue uniforms. Also not sure since when cops wear high-visibility stuff, (except for traffic police), cops here just have black uniforms.

Dunno mate, cops should be blue. You can put them under emergency services, but let them keep their blue uniforms. Also not sure since when cops wear high-visibility stuff, (except for traffic police), cops here just have black uniforms.

Cops, in nearly every nation except the United States, wear high visibility stuff. They often wear reflective fabrics as a standard part of their uniforms. The British are pretty well known for wearing lots of high visibility clothing.

And even in the states, the uniform varies from state to state. Chicago PD, I believe, wears light blue, as NYPD at least used to. Black winter coats, sure. But light blue shirts.

Mostly what Kayla said. Police need hi-viz stuff for most road operations; it just happens that in the U.S. most officers use their vehicles for that sort of thing. Traffic police on foot use the hi-viz stuff because they lack vehicles.

I think as long as you've got blue AND hi-viz yellow, you're fine. Officers in vehicles likely want the blue, as they're responding to incidents that might require a little more stealth; officers on motorcycles, bikes and feet would use the hi-viz stuff (maybe incorporated into a jacket?).

Can't talk about America, but I know czech cops are mostly all black, except for summer when it is hot and some wear sky-blue shits (but now all, metro-cops ussualy have black t-shirts). From what I have seen, I think in Sweden they are all black too. I do not think cops need hi-visibility stuff, the fact that they have a uniform is more then enough.

Swedish cops are mostly black, yes, but even they have high-visibility stuff on their outfits. And they have weird hats.
Swedish police officer.
Norwegian Police Officer.
Japanese Police Officers.

Note the high visibility fields on the trouser legs of the otherwise all black Norwegian Police officer. They have the same on the jackets they wear at night. And high visibility jackets as well, especially if they're on traffic duty, even if they also ride in police vehicles.

PS: I don't see a problem with bright green cop uniforms. In fact, bright high visibility green screams police to me, more than deep blue.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is not a police uniform per se, the matter is strictly related to the division color of Star Army of Yamatai police soldiers; in essence, the issue is "should police have their own color or should they be considered an emergency service like Star Army firefighters and paramedics?"

I think they should. Since SAoY does the different job = different colour thing, then yeah. They should.

Though, on the note of SAoY military police... I think the regular Military Police (MP) should have the same light green uniform as other EMS units, such as paramedics and firefighters, but Criminal Investigators within the SAoY, should have the dark blue uniform. The two have very different roles, after all. Military Police are like regular beat cops, while Criminal Investigators are far more like a homicide detective.

While I wouldn't treat it like gospel, NCIS (not NCIS:LA, which is bullcrap) is a good example. They investigate crimes committed by members of, within, and against, the Navy, and are outside the main structure of the Navy itself, but still considered part of the Navy (and USMC), whereas MPs are 'just' regular sailors/soldiers that have the duty of enforcing military structure and arresting and securing suspects, like a standard beat cop would.

So, MPs and the Star Army's official Criminal Investigation officers ought to have different uniforms, in my opinion.

I'd argue that if we're going with the modern style, than no separate uniform would be needed at all for MPs. They tend to have special armbands and unit insignia, and usually something to identify them on their headwear, but in the modern US military at least, they wear the exact same uniform as everyone else, just plus those items.

In terms of visibility? Make it the same as every other profession that needs both visibility and stealth at different times. Make their standard uniform more subtle, darker hued, with attachable parts that are high visibility, or even a special vest/jacket in that style that they could throw on in a hurry. That way they can make themselves visible if they need to, but they're not STUCK being blatantly obvious 24/7.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…