Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

I like the current style of uniforms as is.

Coveralls can be used to prevent getting the uniform dirty when working in a dirty environment or a job that gets one dirty.
Also for an extreme cold environment over garment.
And like someone mentioned for modesty to lounge around in outside of power armor.

Just don't make them look like the Cracker Jack man with extra baggy blousing into the boots.

Black collar concept version. Kind of classier looking, but it doesn't quite make sense for a cheap uniform.
coverall with black collar.png

something very similar to that would make a pretty awesome uniform for ground troops such as the Legions or the Fifth's Planetary Infantry.

different color scheme would be great for the ships, that says sleek, sexy, futuristic

I like it! I think the padding it seems to have would be a nice asset even on ship with combat being bumpy and jolting.

Cool design and all. I mean, I do like that it's futuristic. I've been wanting things to be more futuristic looking too.

This said, I don't support this idea... because it looking cool and sexy isn't enough. We have the Type 35 uniforms. The Type 35 uniforms just happened. They have a substancial amount of character art already devoted to them. Is it really necessary to flip this around, especially this soon?

Besides, this is a very different composition from the uniform lineage previously displayed by the Star Army. Unless this was a different organization within Yamatai getting its own uniform, I think moving to this would be an error. There were reasons - reasons I didn't agree with - why Wes moved to the Type 35 uniform. Going back to a panelled jacket like this a step away from that.

Well they could be made into Legion uniform, but seeing as there are little to no Legion characters, that would make them fairlu un-used by PCs and as such useless. Anyway nice idea, but you can always put in on the shelf for later.

Now back to what you should wear in the field. That was I think the topic we need to get trough at the moment. And even though it is a bit more expensive I think colour-swapping working uniform is our easiest solution, which retains cool factor for SAoY and won't mean any of the art becoming obsolete.

In my previous post #497 on page 25, I made it clear that I don't plan to consider significant updates to the duty uniform (Type 35) until at least 2018 (YE 40) when it gets its 5-year automatic reevaluations.

Instead, I think this would make the top part of a new bodysuit uniform for Nekovalkyrja. The bottom part would be something spandex-y of course.

Is there really a need for new bodysuit? Just add this jacket as an option to the current bodysuit. It is easy to see that it goes over stuff, rather then just being top to a bottom. And full bodysuit with this jacket on it, would look hot and cool and very Yamatai, I dare to say.

The changes to the jumpsuit make it better looking, but I still stand by the fact that it's very Nepleslian. Meanwhile, the multi-faceted design looks great, but as Fred points out, it doesn't seem to fit into our lineage very well. Thinking about this, we really don't want to have a jumpsuit to pull over our normal duty uniform - we're better off just having a uniform for ground use. It's less convoluted that way. So far, the multi-panel example Wes shows seems the most promising. But ShotJon also has a point - we could try using an update of the previous bodysuit too - we could have a camouflaged version of it, and have a coat or jacket to accompany it perhaps.

Okay, the paneled jacket inspired by the paneled one above will be usable with the current bodysuit, with the intent to transfer to a newer bodysuit if/when one comes along. Basically, we'll use it now and plan to keep using it even if we develop some new bodysuit later on. Now I just need to make/get some art of it.

I'd be all in favor of using that jacket design as the top to a new field uniform, rather than an addition to an existing one. That would be a great uniform look for ground troops, and would work well with just being recolored between ships and Legion usage.

Okay, the paneled jacket inspired by the paneled one above will be usable with the current bodysuit, with the intent to transfer to a newer bodysuit if/when one comes along. Basically, we'll use it now and plan to keep using it even if we develop some new bodysuit later on. Now I just need to make/get some art of it.

I like the sound of that - people do miss the Type 30 Female Body Suit, and having the jacket go with it would look great. The only downside is potential complexity for quick commissions. Even then, I'd take it.

Last edited:
Recently I saw a listing on eBay for an Imperial Japanese Navy sailor cap that is like the Star Army's cap. The photographs on the listing are great for showing what the back of the cap looks like, as well as a way to form the shape of the cap.

back.JPG bottom.JPG front.JPG

Note how the front has been formed into a point and the shortness of the talley's tails and how they're folded. Also note the ventilation holes:

Mr Kanbayashi Saburo's hat side.JPG

There are some contrasts with the U.S. Navy ones. The Japanese ones have shiny gold lettering (silkscreened?) and the US ones have yellow embroidered letters. The US ones have even shorter talleys, which, for reasons I don't know, meets on left the side of the cap:

Flat_Hat.jpg

usnflathat2.JPGUSN blue cap bottom.JPG

From 1833-1883 the cap was approx. nine inches across the top, from 1883-1933 it became eleven inches across and from 1933-1963 it went back to being nine inches across the top.

On both of these, I noticed the shape is higher in the front than in the back, whereas Star Army of Yamatai caps have historically been drawn evenly:

fetch.php

fetch.php

The STAR ARMY caps have short, hanging tails on the back like the IJN ones (no anchor symbol though).

It light of natural oils and such, I'm considering making a Type 32A version of the cap that uses a black silk interior instead of a white one.

This change is small enough that a new variant with its own Type isn't needed I think - it may be best just to come with it as options.

Service gown used by the 500,000 service androids that help cook and clean for the Star Army of Yamatai:

fetch.php

While nice, I think it'd be a bit troublesome to have to look at the android's hip every time you wanted to know who you were talking to. Perhaps a number on the chest and back instead?

Markings on sleeve just below the shoulder where it can't be blocked by an overgarment such as an apron or similiar apparel. A variation on the theme of Toshiro's.

It a nice concept in having Andriods for general housekeeping, light guard force with stunners and restraint devices.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back