Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

My only issue with coveralls is that they are tactically unsound. I realize that's not the focus of this uniform, but something more ACU-like would fit better, or even the Air Force flightsuit fit.

Star Army folks aren't all mechanics. It seems more sensible for them to wear something that fits better, that's all.

I don't see how they are tactically unsound. There are tons of tactical coveralls in real life (see link for an example). If you mean making them have a camo pattern, I didn't do that because those make it a pain to make consistent art.

Have you thought about maybe trying to shift this creative energy towards designing stuff for other factions?
I do! For example:
  1. I designed the original Nepleslian marine uniforms.
  2. I made the Nepleslian dress uniform.
  3. I made the Nepleslian field cap.
  4. I made the caps for all Iromakuanhe Astral Vanguard uniforms.
  5. I helped make the Abwehran dress uniform and did art for it.
  6. I did the NMX uniforms
So I do a lot of uniform art besides just Yamatai. If anyone wants assistance with their faction, I'm willing to give it a try.

Oh hey lets stop looking like scifi and put yammiesoldier in ugly coveralls. Yay. Seriously if you notice coveralls are generally used by mechanics and not out in the field, but in the bases and on ships, they are not field uniform. And they are fairly ugly. Also why just not go back to this https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:uniforms:type_31_field_uniform when you blooday had it done, it has awesome art and basically needs little to no work. Oh and it would not be first time, old uniform would come back to use.

fetch.php

This classic uniform also looks pretty nice. The jumpsuit/coveralls were worn by the Star Army of Yamatai in its early years. That flak jacket design is a SARP classic too, and influenced the uniforms of the SAOY and NSMC.

As suggested, I've tried putting pockets on the coverall and here's how it came out. Not bad!
Star Army Coverall with Pockets.png

Bonus below! Star Army Coveralls with the old-school flak vest!
Star Army Coverall with Old School Flak Vest.png

Last edited:
the pockets look pretty good. Also,I would love to see that classic uniform in use with the fifth fleet's planetary infantry.

The new coverall is almost the same as the classic one, and with a flak vest you'd basically have the same look, although not with a camouflage pattern.

Here's an updated version where I replaced the top pockets with larger ones.
Star Army Coverall with Pockets.png

I'm not fond of the blousing of the legs on these new ones, but the changes to the pockets look great.

I know I am repeating myself, but hey I still think that the field uniform looked much better, it has high quality art and it is just generally awesome.

If I get art with characters wearing this, would it be possible to request that the legs remain unbloused, IE; tucked in properly so that they aren't all balloon-y at the boots?

They need to be bloused but they don't have to be bloused so widely. If you want to have them look more like this in shape where they're tucked in the boot (e.g. less bulky), that's okay with me.

I think blousing like this probably would be ideal as far as proportions:

ai695.photobucket.com_albums_vv314_1911canebrake_navy_USN_NWU1.jpg

Some variance in the actual width of the blousing is permissible.

Personally, I'd prefer something like an updated version of the Type 31 Engineering Protective Jumpsuit that's more practical.

The coveralls just don't say "Yamatai" at all - in the field of roleplays, fiction and so forth, we have an image to maintain and present. A utilitarian jumpsuit sends a message we simply don't want to give. Instead, we should stick with a close fitting body suit that is made as practical as possible. Even putting it on can be made easy, much like the Plug Suits from Evangelion. Recall that those start out loose like any other overall, but at a press of a button, contract and conform to the user. To it, we can add various pockets, utility belts and so forth.

In all honesty, we had a similar problem with the Type 35 Duty Uniforms - a lot of people liked the Type 30 Uniform Series a lot more. The reason why is because of the asthetics. The Type 35's lack the same feeling as the old ones, particularly notable in the lack shoulder panels and conforming, sweater-like material. Those two features were very UNIQUE and ORIGINAL to the Setting. These are something we don't want to lose, as it sets us apart from the rest of the competition. The very same can be said for any new Engineering Protective Jumpsuit.

Any new one has to have the same visual flair unique to our setting. I'm not against a new and improved one of course. It just has to look like it's from the SAoY, and appear consistent when compared with its predecessors. The Type 35 Uniforms did not.

These new images based off the NMX one look nice, but they just don't fit in the same way that some clothing just doesn't look good on certain guys and girls. I mean, do you want to see some acne scarred, gangly teenager hipster in a trench coat and a fedora, or a womanly super model wear a loose oilstained jumpsuit? No! You want a beefy, barrel chested and handsome guy in the trenchcoat and fedora, with the Super Model wearing a sleek and sexy....

Type 30 Uniform~~<3

Thinking about it, I'd pay to see that pulled off very well IRL.

I have to agree with Cadet on this one, I was a big fan of the Type-30 uniforms, as old as they may have been. The newer duty uniforms have alwyas a certain Trek feeling to them in their mix of realism and futuristic fantasy. I like them because they brought a bit of stockiness to the appearance of the Star Army. Yet, I always thought that the smoothness of the Type-30s were more indicative of Yamatai as a nation, fitting their sleek and ultra-modern style. Comparing the two, the 35s seemed to be more a throwback to the older model of uniforms. If anything, I'd like to see a throwback to the model of uniform we got so much milage out of. I mean, look at this thing, it's grade-a milk.

I'm juss' sayin', the design direction of the current YSA seems to be leaning towards a more industrious look, which seems to sit apart from their own factions design, and closer to a more Nepleslian fashion.

Got to agree with what Koku and Cadet said. Sure older uniform lacked stockiness as Koku named it, but hey, that was what was awesome about it. I know we are all in army, but it allowed people to have uniform a bit unique to their chars. With 30b duty uniform it was possible. Just the fact that you could choose to wear pants, long skirt or mini-skirt could say a lot about the character. Now we have all these limiting instructions and it is just not as fun. And hey, dunno about you, but I do like having fun here.

Duty Uniforms

I know we are all in army, but it allowed people to have uniform a bit unique to their chars. With 30b duty uniform it was possible. Just the fact that you could choose to wear pants, long skirt or mini-skirt could say a lot about the character. Now we have all these limiting instructions and it is just not as fun. And hey, dunno about you, but I do like having fun here.
Getting a consistent look was the main reason we adopted the Type 35 version of the duty uniform. Before then, the uniforms were a rather messy mix of different colors and shades, and pretty inconsistent accessories. The Type 35 still allows some minor variation in footwear and the choice between a standard skirt, pleated skirt, or pants, so there's still some customization options available. I'm glad that our uniforms look like uniforms again instead of sweaters, and I think it was a great move the return to the classic Star Army look (The Type 35 is highly based on the original male uniform, the Type 22) .

fetch.php
fetch.php

It just has to look like it's from the SAoY, and appear consistent when compared with its predecessors. The Type 35 Uniforms did not.
This is false, as illustrated by the comparison above. The Type 35 uniforms were a return to the traditional look, with some minor changes to look more dressy. Keep in mind the original Type 22 uniform was used in the field and the Type 35 is not (it's more for office work, events, etc).

Also, I have no plans to change the Type 35 uniform, particularly since
  1. it's used on hundreds of Star Army character artworks which are all made within the last 2 years, costing hundreds of dollars, and I don't want to devalue those. For that reason I am not really looking for change suggestions for the duty uniform, at least for another few years.
  2. The Star Army generally re-evaluates everything on a 5 year cycle (including the YE 30 uniforms, which got re-evaluated for YE 35) so the next planned look at the duty uniforms will be in YE 40 (2018).
  3. As this thread demonstrates, any change to the uniform lineup tends to cause a lot of consternation so I try to avoid them unless necessary.
Coveralls

Why does this coverall exist? Let me explain:

Imagine you're a Neko. You're on a muddy, forested planet with 99 other nekos as part of Century hunting a former NMX terror cell. You're in the field so wearing your nice duty uniform is a no-go. The jacket alone costs 100 KS! You could wear the working uniform, but it's blue with a brightly colored panel across the chest. The bodysuit is no less bright. The old, discontinued field uniform is camouflage but too much combat gear considering you only do combat in your armor and it fills your bag with bodyarmor and other useless crap for someone who fights wearing power armor. What are you going to wear? You need something that's...
  • Easy to get on and off
  • Somewhat camouflaged (skintight plugsuits that emphasize the outline of a human figure and have glowy bits are not)
  • For the field but not necessarily for combat (doesn't need a helmet, etc - that's what we have DAISY armor for)
  • Is okay to get dirty when you're in the field or changing the brake fluid on your STV
  • Can be worn over whatever nice uniforms you have, like bodysuits
Enter the coverall. It does the above. It's a blend of a utility garment and a uniform. It's easy for commission artists to draw (field uniform was a nightmare). You're in a military trailer park living out of CRDM modules, not out on the town looking pretty for the public. Yes, it's not particularly sci-fi or Yamataian sleek, but it has a very military look and is easily recognizable as SAOY by the hinomaru and that blue sailor cap. More importantly, it's exactly what I needed for my nekos (mainly ground forces) as manager of the Star Army. Also keep in mind this uniform is an addition, rather than a change. The field uniform was already scrapped so this is technically not replacing anything.

Also, I have these already and they're usable, and no one has come forward with anything better. I'm willing to accept submissions of other looks that meet the above bullet points but I would need at least basic sketches. In the meantime, the coveralls will be used and are already being distributed ICly.

Bringing Back a Type 30 Uniform Look

I have to agree with Cadet on this one, I was a big fan of the Type-30 uniforms, as old as they may have been. The newer duty uniforms have alwyas a certain Trek feeling to them in their mix of realism and futuristic fantasy. I like them because they brought a bit of stockiness to the appearance of the Star Army. Yet, I always thought that the smoothness of the Type-30s were more indicative of Yamatai as a nation, fitting their sleek and ultra-modern style. Comparing the two, the 35s seemed to be more a throwback to the older model of uniforms. If anything, I'd like to see a throwback to the model of uniform we got so much milage out of.
I might be okay with a sort of a revived Type 30 as a cold-weather sweater wearable under coveralls, the black coat, and as swappable with the Type 35's jacket. The thing is I never really cared for the color panels on it because it's like "how do they attach to the ribbed part?" and because people draw them as armor so much that I actually had to make the text say they had armor properties on the Type 30A (it was drawn shiny!). So what we're looking at is a ribbed sweater, maybe like this but with a turtleneck (or alternatively have the top of a Type 35 sticking out from under it):

awww.armynavydeals.com_asp_images_product_images_CanArmComSwtr.jpg

I hope I've answered everyone's questions and addressed the concerns. And again I'm willing to give considerations to new designs, particularly when they come in the form of concept artwork.

Gotta say like ShotJon, I basically agree with everything Kokuten said.
Like people might want military realism or at least think they want it or just want it in terms of aesthetics but at the same time lots of them have said they liked things as they were previously because the fact that things might have been less practical/less mundane gave the faction style and distinctness which was a more than acceptable trade-off. Pointing out that lots of other sci-fi settings or real life organizations use similar designs isn't really all that persuasive when people don't want to be too much like either of those things.

It's like:
Pro: Star Trek did it.
Con: Star Trek did it.

I think a lot of people mostly want change in the form of bringing old things back rather than constantly adding new things at the cost of current things that already work which they have grown fond of.

I might be okay with a sort of a revived Type 30 as a cold-weather sweater wearable under coveralls, the black coat, and as swappable with the Type 35's jacket. The thing is I never really cared for the color panels on it because it's like "how do they attach to the ribbed part?" and because people draw them as armor so much that I actually had to make the text say they had armor properties on the Type 30A (it was drawn shiny!).

I've actually always thought that the panels and shoulder pads were actually flexible material connected by the sweater like parts. I enjoy the design, because even if it doesn't appear functional, it still indicates form, which is, in my opinion, the entire nature of the Star Army of Yamatai. These are a people so far ahead of the rest of universe that they shouldn't even care about practical applications of design, they have the technology.

Uniforms made by the Star Army of Yamatai could have floating japanese lanterns over the shoulders that act as biometric readers, and I'd be like, 'It's Yamatai, believable.'

OK, Wes. Now that you've really explained it, I see where you're going with the coveralls. I'm still a little hesitant to call them that because of my own mental image, but if we're talking about what boils down to a new in-base uniform people wear when terrestrially deployed and (generally) out of combat, I get it. It puts the Army back in Star Army (even if it looks more Air Force).

Variable blousing seems reasonable too. Thank you for that.

Does this need to be an SAoY-wide uniform? It sounds like something more specific to your own plot, rather than something all of Yamatai wants to use. Yes, you're the manager and all, but I just don't see a lot of other characters wanting to use this for art, especially if it's just a plain green coverall with a hat.

This sounds more appropriate for the Star Army Infantry than the Shipboard members.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back